Suspension Upgrades

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkie

[*]So as I see it there are only two real performance upgrades that I can perform once my Spark EV with DC quick charge arrives.

1. Change Tires to Yokohama S.drives

Specifications:

Yokohama S.drive Ultra High Performance Summer
You want an outstanding blend of dry and wetstreet traction and handling.
Ultra High Performance Summer

Consumer Rating
Warranty Rating
Front: 185/55R15
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 82V
UTQG: 300 AA APrice: $88.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Estimated Arrival: Get EstimateQty:
Optional Road Hazard Program: Add $11.26 per tire

Rear: 195/55R15
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 85V
UTQG: 300 AA APrice: $83.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Estimated Arrival: Get EstimateQty:
Optional Road Hazard Program: Add $10.91 per tire
Add Road Hazard: $44.34
Set of 4: $342.00

2. Modify Suspension.

Options:

Here we have a few options assuming that the chevy spark ICE has the same suspension geometry.

-Megan Racing Coilovers ~$850 depending on site
Link: http://www.redline360.com/megan-racing-street-coilovers-chevy-spark-MR-CDK-CSP13

-Lowering Spring Kit
B&G for 2013 chevy spark $309
1.4" drop in front and 1" drop in rear
Link http://b-gsuspension.com/displayResults.php5

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Luke

Those sticky tires are sure to reduce your range versus the low rolling resistance stock tires, but the traction gain might be well worth it. Let us know if you do it, and what your experience is.

I remember reading somewhere that Chevy had to beef up the suspension to handle the extra battery weight in back, so I don't think it's safe to assume the parts or geometry are the same as the gas car.

It seems to me everyone is most interested in how far they can go versus the obvious advances chevy made to make the car sporty vs their competitors. Range wont be much changed as rolling resistant tires don't do too terribly much. Im interested in getting performance out of the car and trying to read somewhre around sub 1g like in the car and driver video on the upgrades for a nissan leaf. I wont make any jumps on suspension changes as of now but chaning the tires will be one the first things I do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOIAk8TA6b4

Ill let you know what I find. If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas throw them on here.

I'm right with you, willing to trade a bit of range for more fun. I was ready to lease a Leaf, but the handling was so meh that I just couldn't get excited about it. I'm a bit spoiled by my old 1995 Civic EX coupe. Even though it is all stock suspension, it sits so low and handles so well that its a kick to drive. The spark has much better acceleration than my Honda, and isnt as soft as the Leaf, but it just doesn't hug the turns like I wish it would. Stickier tires will help grip, but a 1" drop kit wont do much to change the fact that the spark driver sits pretty high relative to the road compared to any true sports car, or even a "sporty" car like my Honda.

What do you expect the coil overs to do for you? Are you trying to reduce body roll, or...?

Yeah I get that I'm a bit spoiled as well when it comes to road handling. I've currently got an RX-8 and a Porsche 914 so basically what I wish to accomplish is to gain grip and decrease my body roll. Luckly batteries are super low down so the fact that the car is a bit tall IMO the majority of the weight is down low. I eventually plan to have it as my daily driver/ weekend electric autox car. All that torque would be amazing on an autocross course. As for coil overs It may not even be required, a simple lowering kit may suffice. (get some of that wheel gap to go away)

I'm definitely interested in hearing what impact tires like that have on range and performance. The Spark is fine at a base level, but I'd give up a few percentage points of range to not spin powering out of curves.

Fengsui I just actually was reading your post about this in another section of the forum. I think that using Yokohama S drives might help with the torque steering a little but more at fixing breaking the tires lose in the corners.

Sparkie said:
. As for coil overs It may not even be required, a simple lowering kit may suffice. (get some of that wheel gap to go away)

Besides the obvious effect of lowering the center of gravity, do lowering springs have other handling benefits? Having seen too many fools scraping their bumpers over speedbumps and wearing out their tires on the inside of their fenders in the name of "handling" (translation: looks cool), the idea of lowering my car has not been appealing. I'm more interested in tangible performance than aesthetics. Since the center of gravity is already pretty low thanks to battery placement, will a 1" drop make a discernible difference in road feel? Or would it be better to spend more for coil overs and skip the lowering springs?

I'm going to start a new topic on tires, because I see that developing into a whole thread on its own. Please look for it.

Well, usually a 1" drop wont make that big of a difference as there is quite a bit of wheel gap for the spark ev. A lowering spring kit may also have issues keeping up with the 621 lbs of increased battery weight due to the spring rate that is set up for an ICE Spark. So when it really comes down to it, i'd go with a coil over kit because they are adjust able and usually can pick from a variety of different spring rates when purchasing. Although it is possible that a lowering kit coupled with adjustable springs will cost less and have the same adjust ability in height and may offer varying spring rates. It all comes down to demand and requests of companies like eibach on creation of such a product.

Curb Weight Specificaitons:
2014 Chevy Spark 2LT Auto(ICE): curb weight 2368lbs
2014 Chevy Spark 1 & 2LT (EV): Curb Weight 2989lbs

-Luke

Do the coil overs allow ride height adjustment in addition to spring rate adjustment, or would you also need lowering springs?

What about sway bars? Does the spark come with stock front or rear sway bars already? I've heard that many cars don't have rear sways and/or that the sways are sized for comfort not handling.

I found this in the Car and Driver review of the Spark EV:

"The center of gravity is more than two inches lower and the front-rear weight distribution close to 50/50. Electric Sparks get four-wheel disc brakes (versus the gas model's disc-and-drum setup), and their rear tires are wider than the fronts (195/65-15 versus 185/65-15). Recalibrated springs, dampers, and suspension components strive to make good on Chevy's promise that the Spark EV is “fun to drive,” and they mostly succeed—the handling felt pleasantly balanced and responsive on Portland's curving parkway roads, the steering a little sharper than in the gas model, if still lacking in feel. Grip might be a concern. "

Been searching all over the web for Spark sway bars and only finding universal sway bar bushing kits, no actual bars. Not sure if this means that the car has bars on it stock, but you can upgrade the bushings, or if there's no such thing as a Spark sway bar.

One more bit of info that may be helpful, according to Motor Trend the gas Spark is equipped with: "Independent front strut suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs, semi-independent rear torsion beam suspension with coil springs." I guess stabilizer bar refers to a sway bar?

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2013/chevrolet/spark/specifications/handling_brakes_suspension.html#ixzz2jkttKnbS

And this: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/31/chevrolet-spark-concepts-sema-2012/

These are gas concept cars, but I see no reason similar mods couldn't be applied to the EV. The badass bling alone surely makes them 20% faster. ;-) Just imagine carving turns in your Sinister Spark EV. Drool...

Note that the Z-spec sports "Chevrolet Performance licensed front lowering coil-over springs and rear adjustable springs" and "lowered ride height."

For those who are considering the Megan Racing kit for the gas Spark, there are several change to the rear suspension between the EV and gas car (presumably due to the battery packaging and weight) that make this kit only partially compatible. I spent the weekend fitting it, and fortunately I have a lot of "spare" custom suspension bits laying around from prior projects. At minimum, the rear springs, rear spring locator, rear spring adjuster, rear damper upper mount, and rear damper lower mount that come with the kit won't work as-is.

I'll do a full write up when it's actually "done" but I'm hoping to make a few more improvements before showing specifics. Meanwhile, here's a teaser with the current ride height, about 50mm/2 inches lower than stock.

12581588623_c95a8d33b8_b.jpg

Bryce

Thanks, Bryce, for the great photo. I look forward to the write up. Any issues with tires rubbing the wheel well at that height?

This car is definitely in need of better suspension setups. It's too bouncy and floaty at higher speeds.

Case in point...really accelerating on the freeway and changing lanes disturbs this car in a dangerous way. It's simply bordering on unsafe IMO. Too much mass and not enough control.

The stock suspension causes this car to behave like a very big American boat of yore.

completely agree - the bouncy I can live with (more rebound damper would be nice), but the "floaty" feeling is definitely scary at speed.

Back