bike carrier

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mspicela

Has anyone come up with a good solution for carrying bikes with a Spark EV? It seems like a great way to make more chargers convenient (part at a charger then ride to nearby stuff to do.

I thought about this 1-1/4" tow hitch and bike carrier, but I'm betting that the EV is different enough from a gas spark that the mount won't fit. Also, I'm wondering what the extra weight and drag would do to the range.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Spark/2014/C11334.html?vehicleid=20148807
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Prorack/PR8062403.html

I had the Rhino Rack from my Volt and just bought a new fit kit. Works well, very little wind noise (less than with the Volt).

sparkrack.jpg

My efficiency drops from about 5.3Mi/KWh to 5.1 with the rack and bike on the car.

I carry a Brompton folding bike in my Spark EV at all times in the back trunk area. If I need to plug in, I can ride to a cafe or bus station or whatever. Electric cars and folding bikes are the perfect match!

Sesamecrunch, that's a beautiful Brompton bike!

I've been using a Bones rack we've had for more than ten years (had it on an Accord sedan originally). The Bones rack is so adjustable, it was easy to get it on the Spark & have the bikes hang perfectly. The upper feet rest on the top of the back window, the lower ones sit on top of the bumper. The straps tighten down on the top of the hatch, in front of the spoiler, and also on the bottom edge of the hatch. With one bike it's not even noticeable while driving. With two bikes I watch for potholes because I don't know how much down force the plastic bumper can take. I was glad we already had it so that I didn't have to decide what the ideal rack would be :D At least it's a very quick on and off to mount or dismount the rack itself, and also to get the bikes on and off. I haven't quantified the range loss because it hasn't been an issue. Link to a similar Bones rack: http://www.amazon.com/Saris-Bones-8...=1383364769&sr=8-1&keywords=Bones+2+Bike+Rack

saintyohann said:
Can we see it in the trunk?

Here's a picture of the Brompton without cover:

i usually carry it in the bike bag so it's not inviting to unwelcome eyes (sorry for the blurry image):

The Brompton takes up most the the (non-existent) luggage space, so I use the seating area for "stuff". The hatch door closes nicely on it. The bike, even in the bag, does not block my vision out the rear view mirror. It offers great peace of mind if I ever need to recharge (which I try hard to avoid).

I definitely prefer a hitch-receiver rack if possible as well. Once you have one, you won't go back. I use a Thule T2 on a few of my vehicles, and was hoping to use it on my new Spark EV. Bummer is that it doesn't seem anyone makes one yet. I tried calling Curt Manufacturing, and the person I spoke with wasn't sure if the 11316 model (for the regular Spark with ground effects kit) would work. So, I took a chance and ordered one from autoanything.com. I just tried installing it over the weekend - no go. Not even close. The frame seems totally different in the back, and a portion of the underbody (I assume some of the batteries) hangs down and interferes. :(

I'll post pictures later, but I use a hatch bike rack and it works perfectly fine. I routinely transport my bike at freeway speeds over 50 miles, without a problem.

I carry my folding bike in the back seat just seat belt it in. I put a blanket down first to keep the seat clean. The neighbors call it my dingy

SparkMoore said:
nozferatu said:
I just got a Thule rear mounted trunk rack...works like a charm!

Please post pics and details on model #, etc.

K will post pics shortly

Model # 910XT

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/rear-door-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-passage-910xt-2-bike-_-4796509

I'm torn between a roof rack and toughing it out with a strap on bike rack. I already own a Kuat Sherpa so by FAR my preference would be a receiver hitch, but it looks like they don't exist for the EV. Bummer!

I've got a strap on rack which I'm sure will work, but I'm never really happy with how it works. I used it on my old Saturn and it was OK, but always moved around a bit, and is harder to lock the bike to the car.

On the plus side for the roof rack, I could also throw a box up there for more storage, which this car sorta needs. My carpool consists of kids/backpacks/violins etc. On the minus side of the roof rack is the $$. Especially if I add the expense of a box, it's close to $1000 all in for a rack/bike carrier/box. Not to mention the aero drag, which is a real drag on an EV with a small range to begin with.

dammit, I want a hitch receiver.

I took the advice of another forum member that posted a picture of his/her Brompton folding bike in the trunk of the Spark. If you only need one bike, this is the way to go. They are EXPENSIVE however, and their price could pay for a rack plus a couple of bikes. I happened to find a used one at a good price, but they don't come cheap very often. Great solution, however, to plugging in at a charger, and getting a mile or two to where you need to be.

SparkMoore said:
I took the advice of another forum member that posted a picture of his/her Brompton folding bike in the trunk of the Spark. If you only need one bike, this is the way to go. They are EXPENSIVE however, and their price could pay for a rack plus a couple of bikes. I happened to find a used one at a good price, but they don't come cheap very often. Great solution, however, to plugging in at a charger, and getting a mile or two to where you need to be.

I've already got 7 bicycles in the garage (only 3 are mine), last thing I need is more, lol. I'll probably end up with a roof rack, though I fear it will look silly with the rearward sloping roof. Or is it silly to worry about looking silly when driving a light blue Spark, haha.

ExtensionCord said:
I'm torn between a roof rack and toughing it out with a strap on bike rack. snip...

OK, so following up on my earlier thoughts, here is my bike rack solution. A Seasucker! http://shop.proedgebiker.com/t/seasucker-bike-racks I'd never heard of them before, but a little research showed that they've been around since around 2012, and there are many many happy customers (and the usual smattering of problems, but it looks like they stand behind their product pretty well).

pics:

overall shot
20150529_115843.jpg

closer:
20150529_115832.jpg

head on. I offset it to one side so the front wheel would clear the antenna, but I think it's also a good idea because it gets the rear suction cup closer to the edge of the roof where the roof is stronger.
20150529_115854.jpg

closeup of rack, pretty simple. Just some large suction cups and a fork mount.
20150529_115904.jpg

rear wheel holder. simples.
20150529_115911.jpg

It's not everyone's cup of tea. No ability to lock rack or bike, and it's $400 so the rack/bike will never be left unattended on the car. But for quick on/off usage (a few minutes to put on, about 30 seconds to take off) and no aero penalty when not in use, I going to give it a try. They make a smaller one bike rack for under $300 also.

Even if the etrailer hitch kit for a normal Spark would work on the EV there is still a problem.
This is from the etrailer site for the Spark hitch:
Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from Curt.

I dealt with this on my Volt. You still have to use those goofy straps with the rubber coated hooks that might damage the paint.
And even worse, on the Spark, as can be seen in the pictures above with the normal strap-on Thule rack,
those straps are putting weight and down force on that plastic 'spoiler' above the rear window.
This WILL mark the paint and may damage the spoiler over time.

I don't like the hassle of roof racks and they can mark paint also.
So what are the best options? The suction cup roof rack?

edit: I just contacted etrailer about their Spark vs the Spark EV issue. I volunteered to work with them. I'm only 220 miles away from them in STL,, but alas, it is still a BEV and I can't drive it there.
But if the price is right I could dolly it there. I passed thru STL just last weekend bringing my Spark EV home!
I told them I could take detail pictures and make detailed drawings of the area in question.
Hopefully since this hitch is rated for 200 lb tongue weight and the Volt hitch was only rated 100 lbs maybe with a light bike rack and 2 light bikes the 'Stability Strap' would not be required!

NORTON said:
Even if the etrailer hitch kit for a normal Spark would work on the EV there is still a problem.
This is from the etrailer site for the Spark hitch:
Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from Curt.

I dealt with this on my Volt. You still have to use those goofy straps with the rubber coated hooks that might damage the paint.
And even worse, on the Spark, as can be seen in the pictures above with the normal strap-on Thule rack,
those straps are putting weight and down force on that plastic 'spoiler' above the rear window.
This WILL mark the paint and may damage the spoiler over time.

I don't like the hassle of roof racks and they can mark paint also.
So what are the best options? The suction cup roof rack?

edit: I just contacted etrailer about their Spark vs the Spark EV issue. I volunteered to work with them. I'm only 220 miles away from them in STL,, but alas, it is still a BEV and I can't drive it there.
But if the price is right I could dolly it there. I passed thru STL just last weekend bringing my Spark EV home!
I told them I could take detail pictures and make detailed drawings of the area in question.
Hopefully since this hitch is rated for 200 lb tongue weight and the Volt hitch was only rated 100 lbs maybe with a light bike rack and 2 light bikes the 'Stability Strap' would not be required!

Let's Do This! I spoke with the folks at ecohitch and their hitch is for the gas Spark; they weren't sure if it would fit the Spark EV (prolly not).

I'd love to have a hitch!

does this not work? saw this on an older thread, it says fitment for the Spark EV:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3720

http://www.amazon.com/CURT-11334-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00A8XEAZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433461353&vehicle=2015-47-23335-430--18-6-5-18502-3461-1-1-3623--1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2015%3Achevrolet%3Aspark+ev&pebp=1433461361995&perid=1BJ0H4T3V2VNPD9D4X6V

Back