BigGuy123
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Back up camera?

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:04 pm

adel wrote: Update: A russian person wtih nickname Axiv got unlock mirrorlink function in MyLink radio. I tested and worked. See procedures on http://www.chevrolet-cruze-club.ru/foru ... count=4530
You were able to upgrade to firmware 24.5 on your Spark EV? Is the firmware file the same as the one the Russians used for the Cruze? Any gotchas?

jackelmatador
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Back up camera?

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:08 am

BigGuy123 wrote:
adel wrote: Update: A russian person wtih nickname Axiv got unlock mirrorlink function in MyLink radio. I tested and worked. See procedures on http://www.chevrolet-cruze-club.ru/foru ... count=4530
You were able to upgrade to firmware 24.5 on your Spark EV? Is the firmware file the same as the one the Russians used for the Cruze? Any gotchas?
Same here. I think if we flash the new firmware we will lose the energy screen but the rest should work fine to chicken to try though until I get some confirmation.

sTeeve
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA

Re: Back up camera?

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:47 am

jackelmatador wrote:
BigGuy123 wrote:
adel wrote: Update: A russian person wtih nickname Axiv got unlock mirrorlink function in MyLink radio. I tested and worked. See procedures on http://www.chevrolet-cruze-club.ru/foru ... count=4530
You were able to upgrade to firmware 24.5 on your Spark EV? Is the firmware file the same as the one the Russians used for the Cruze? Any gotchas?
Same here. I think if we flash the new firmware we will lose the energy screen but the rest should work fine to chicken to try though until I get some confirmation.
I'd rather not give up the energy screen(s) if it means we lose the ability to change the amperage setting for 120V charging.

Having said that, I've been perusing the sites for firmware upgrade/hacking. Started a dialogue with Youtube user wbif88. He seems to be the most prolific poster of guides to hacking MyLink/MirrorLink (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbnTt4 ... nDKZ8SrFpQ)

He's not seen firmware 15.x or 16.x. His list of firmwares goes from 10.x to 13.x to 20.x to 23.x to 24.x.

So, we'll see what comes of this. I've asked him about upgrading and the possibility of downgrading if 24.x doesn't work. He says to downgrade if 24.x doesn't work, but nobody has the 15.x or 16.x firmwares available...yet. (My 2014 Spark EV has 15.41-95281509).

There's quite a bit of talk about reversing camera and video-in-motion; interesting stuff, for sure. I can't play with a firmware upgrade until I source a camera (any suggestions are most welcome!).

It seems that the camera functions are encased within /Storage card/system/MgrMcm.exe; this file should be copied to a flash drive for backup and replaced with one that includes camera functionality.

I've entered "Developer Mode" according to the instructions. No big deal. You can't hurt anything by doing that. Just don't change anything. You can surf to your heart's content. It's "only Windows CE". <cough><gag>. I'm in the process of backing up everything from the head unit to a flash drive.

After that, I'll see if replacing MgrMcm.exe (and perhaps ClientAppInfo.bin (located in storagecard/system and storagecard2/system/) do no harm.

ClientAppInfo.bin is where the information for BringGo, Pandora, TuneIn and Stitcher are located. I believe this is also where MirrorLink info is stored; it appears that MirrorLink is included with firmwares 23.x onward. Something to think about...

I use BringGo; it works, imperfectly, but it works (paired with a Nexus 5). I've used Stitcher whilst sitting and charging at L2 charging station with free WiFi. It works. I've not tried Pandora or TuneIn, although I have accounts for them. I tend not to use my cell minutes for music streaming.

-Bob K.
2014 Spark EV

Leafless
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:33 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Back up camera -- Alternate solution

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:28 pm

This just might be the easy way to install back up camera: https://pearlauto.com/

sTeeve
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA

Re: Back up camera -- Alternate solution

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 am

Leafless wrote:This just might be the easy way to install back up camera: https://pearlauto.com/
Nice find! :)
2014 Spark EV

BigGuy123
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Back up camera -- Alternate solution

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 am

At $500 for a PREORDER it's not that great IMHO.

sTeeve wrote:
Leafless wrote:This just might be the easy way to install back up camera: https://pearlauto.com/
Nice find! :)

sTeeve
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA

Re: Back up camera?

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:16 pm

So, yeah, updating firmware from 15.41-95281509 to 24.5-42341011 doesn't brick the head unit.

I followed these instructions: https://sourceforge.net/p/mylink-unlock ... wiki/Home/

Not difficult.

But it's a loser. We lose the energy screens; we lose the onscreen climate settings menu, and we lose some of the climate control indicators at the top of the screen (and those that remain are stuck...i.e., they don't change with the manual control changes...).

Everything else works. Steering control functions. No video-in-motion but that's cause I don't have a rear-view camera, yet.

BringGo USA/Can gets joined by BringGo Russia :D.

And we get MirrorLink. Yay?

Image
2014 Spark EV

BigGuy123
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Back up camera?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:00 am

I tried out BringGo and hated it. I really wish Waze or Google Maps was supported.

nikwax
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Back up camera?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:59 pm

BigGuy123 wrote:I tried out BringGo and hated it. I really wish Waze or Google Maps was supported.

Get a holder for your cell phone. Problem solved.
2015 Spark EV 1LT DCFC
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
ClipperCreek EVSE

rainspark

Re: Back up camera?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:14 pm

I stumbled on this page/forum while trying to find out if I can add MirrorLink and video in motion to the MyLink system in the Spark EV. Has anyone tried to see if just replacing the ClientAppInfo.bin that is available online into the dash unit will work to enable MirrorLink?

Also curious if anyone tried replacing the MgrMcm.exe file to enable video in motion?

I'm hoping this will work without doing a firmware upgrade which would get rid of the climate control and EV specific options from what I can gather from various forums.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”