padavos

Re: Back up camera?

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:42 pm

i was able to add a camera to my 2016 spark ev without programming,
it takes some effort but you will have a nice back up camera for $20

1.buy an inexpensive $15-20 back up camera and have it power up from the back up lights.
2.guide the video wire together with an additional +12 from the reverse lights to the front.
3.detach the small plastic panel holding the usb and aux female plugs.
4.detach the 6 wire connector on the back of the aux plug
5. the 6wires on the aux connector are in this order blue, blue, black/white, purple, green, grey
6.connect video+ to the first blue wire
7.connect video- to the purple wire
8.cut the second blue wire.

at this point the camera will come on the screen as long as there is video feed and in our case the car is in reverse,
however the radio and everything else will be dead because of the cut second blue wire.
to make the radio work again the cut blue wire must be connected back together,
to do that we will use a standard 12 volt automotive relay

9. use a 12 volt relay like an automotive one with 5 pins,
10. connect the +12 lead you just brought from the rear from the reverse light to the coil of the relay or contact no 85 on a standard automotive relay.
11. connect the other side of the relay (contact 86) to the common of the relay switch (no 30) and also to the cut blue wire that is still attached to the wire connector (that will be 3 wires together)
12 connect relay switch contact no 87a which is normally closed to the cut blue wire coming from inside the vehicle harness.

that is it, when you go in reverse the relay will energize and open the 30 to 87a which a normally closed switch
the radio will go off while in reverse
when you shifty back to forward the relay will de-energize and let the switch close again, effectively connecting the 2 blue wires back again
and the radio will come back, it tool me a whole day to figure it out, but you can do it an an hour or two. enjoy

ps i dont see way to add a diagram here, email me if you want it bbnnvvb@yahoo.com

SparkevBlogspot

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:46 am

Wow, I didn't know the display is using NTSC composite video. That opens up all kinds of possibilities of other fun stuff like external DVD players and raspberry pi with wireless obd. Can anyone confirm that it's NTSC composite?

You should remove your personal email and instead ask to private message you (PM).

bicycleguy

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 am

Yes, it is definitely NTSC composite video.

Nashco

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:32 pm

A video showing how this works and where tapped in and modified things would go a really long way. This sounds like it's executed similar to the HappyTV I tried (earlier in this thread), but less elegant and not plug-and-play.

Bryce

mattvv

Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:04 pm

I don't have a video. But I used the method padavos mentioned with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q ... UTF8&psc=1 and it works perfectly!

Thanks for the awesome post.

SparkMoore

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:06 am

Has anyone taken pictures or video of this yet. Just got my camera and wanting to try it out. Looking for how to remove the various panels without damaging them, and the routing of the wires from the camera exterior, to the car interior, to the reverse lights, and to the screen. Pics would be great. Video would be awesome. I'll take some myself today, if I can. I don't have a garage, and its been raining a lot lately. I may have to postpone if the weather doesn't cooperate.

GladstoneCoach

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:42 pm

Any thoughts on a good aftermarket back-up camera for this application? It appears that the one from Amazon listed in the earlier post is over 3" tall at the lens - is there a lower profile one anyone would care to recommend? Any thoughts on the functionality of the Infrared night-vision of the Esky EC135-05 vs. the white LEDs in the "updated" one - Esky EC135-35? (looks to have a lower, more subdued profile as well)

Esky EC135-05 - https://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC135-05-Wa ... B005Q65ZIK
Esky EC135-35 - https://www.amazon.com/Esky180-Viewing- ... B013OLWDW4

A specific relay or relay standard would be helpful to make sure you've got an appropriate (size / function / compatibility / etc.) component. Anybody have one to recommend?

This sounds like a great, easy to implement (relatively) solution. A good parts list and I'm off to collect the necessary components to give this a try!

Thanks padavos!
2015 Salsa Red 2LT (for daughter 3) - RETURNED
2016 Black Granite 2LT (for daughter 1)
2016 Electric Blue 1LT (for Wife)
2016 Silver Ice 1LT (for Mom)
2015 Summit White 2LT (for ME - FINALLY!)

Well on my way to collecting the whole set . . .

SparkMoore

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:00 am

I did this install last weekend. It took me 8 hours on day one and six hours on day two. You can blame at least half of that time on it being the first time I did it and being a perfectionist. I didn't like the way it ended up on day one, so I re-did some of it on day two. Thanks to padavos for figuring out how to wire it up and making that part easy. Here are a couple of things to note.

1. If you buy the license plate style camera (which I did), it gets in the way of the latch that opens the tailgate. I've been thinking about mounting it at the bottom of the license plate, but in order to make the wiring look clean, I would have to install it upside down. Not sure if it will somehow compensate the video to go the other way, or if it would show the video upside down. Wondering if I reverse the polarity on the camera signal wires, what would that do to the video that displays on the screen?

2. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the wiring from the outside of the car to the reverse light. It took me two hours just to open up all the panels on the tailgate so I could work in there. The reason was that in order to remove the panel on the outside of the tailgate that has the chevy bowtie logo on it, you have to remove the windshield wiper arm. Mine was stuck. Two hours later, I had it off. At that point, I had access and visibility to both the inside and the outside channels on the tailgate.

3. There is a channel along the perimeter of the tailgate between the glass and the sheet metal. You can snake the wiring through there (behind the defroster plug) and through the rubber boot that has the car's other wiring going through it. That gets you into the rear driver side light compartment. That sounds simple, but that was about the hardest thing to do. You can pull back the plastic paneling on the inside of the car by removing a couple of fasteners. Once in there, connecting up to the reverse light is pretty simple, although it took me a while to figure out which wires I had to tap into. I forget how I did it, and the picture I took wasn't very clear, so I can't tell you which wires it was.

4. Snaking the wiring up to the front is pretty easy. There is some plastic paneling along the door sill that is relatively easy to pull up. There is a channel underneath that carries the car's other wiring. You don't have to pull the paneling all the way off to get it through there. It helps to have a snaking tool to pull the wire through.

5. At the front, the hardest part is working with the little tiny blue wire you have to cut. Don't make a mistake here, cause you'll run out of extra wire very quickly. The wire is smaller than 22 gauge, making most wire strippers useless. I had to strip the wire by hand, and messed up a couple of times. In the end, I barely got it to connect.

6. Day two for me was mostly the result of initially using a wireless module for the video. The first day, I did all of the above and only wired the power to the reverse light, but the video was wireless. I was unhappy with how glitchy the wireless signal was, so on day two, I removed the wireless module and hard wired the video signal. My advice, skip the wireless option. Unless you want your camera to be on all the time, you still need to get the power signal from the reverse light. Snaking the wires to the reverse light is the hardest part of the whole job, but not much harder to do two wires, versus one. Spare yourself the re-do, and just hard wire the video too.

7. One final note. I drilled a hole to get the wiring from the outside of the car to the inside. I couldn't figure out a way to do it without drilling. If anyone has come up with a solution, please post.

Good luck.

bicycleguy

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:07 am

SparkMoore,

Good job!

I'm curious as to why you didn't use the camera and routing technique earlier in this same thread, starting around page six:
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/vie ... 111#p12111

SparkMoore

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:52 am

Mostly because I didn't feel like reading through 13 pages of comments and didn't know that was in there. In hindsight, that might have been faster, but maybe not. In any case, I got some feedback that installing the camera off-center was not ideal, and I would probably have looked for an alternative anyway. That, plus I wasn't sure any of this would work, so I bought the cheapest camera I could find so I wouldn't be into it for a lot of money if I didn't like it. The license plate camera I bought cost less than $10 with free shipping and included a wireless module, which I thought might save me some time. When looking for cameras, I didn't come across the one in that link. All the ones that I found were way more expensive. I may go back and look for an alternative later. I'm considering trying to mount it under the center stop light, but worried that the light from the brake light would affect the video quality.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”