refinerysmells

Re: Spark EV - An affordable electric racecar (my build thre

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:28 pm

On the race car diet thought, any idea where the fake noise maker is and how to disable/remove it to save power and weight? Maybe find & disconnect fuse to see if it throws check light.

nikwax

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:10 am

Save power and weight? Disable a safety device? Great idea
2015 Spark EV 1LT DCFC
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
ClipperCreek EVSE

NORTON

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:26 am

Yes, "Save power and weight".
That silly noise may sucks it up at about 0.05 Amps @14vdc. (WAG)
That equates to at least 25 feet of range with a full charge.
But you have to drive less than 18 mph to get that effect.
The silly noise maker shuts off at 18 mph, I have read, but I don't know how to test this.....
Last edited by NORTON on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+67 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

nikwax

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:19 pm

please calculate the additional range provided by the weight savings...I'll be that 25 feet could easily be extended by an inch or two.
2015 Spark EV 1LT DCFC
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
ClipperCreek EVSE

WattEV

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 am

refinerysmells wrote:On the race car diet thought, any idea where the fake noise maker is and how to disable/remove it to save power and weight? Maybe find & disconnect fuse to see if it throws check light.
Just disconnect the noise maker control unit. Super easy to get to. It is on the floor behind the center console next to the accelerator pedal. Where the driver side and passenger side carpets meet behind the center console, you can separate the two pieces easily as they are attached with just Velcro. Pull the Velcro apart and you will see the only control unit which is for the noise maker...It's small. Disconnect the connector and that's it.
2014 Spark EV
Ice Silver
DCQC

SparkevBlogspot

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Nashco wrote:The improved wheels and tires really transform the car. With good tires and lighter wheels, the 0-60 times are drastically improved and the car is just all around better to drive, as you'd expect.
Here's a stupid question, if you're taking questions. Do you think it's possible to fit 14" wheels for 105/70R14 tires, at least for the fronts? Smaller diameter tires should improve acceleration if they're sticky enough to hold traction. Math shows that should get 0-60 in 6.77 sec vs 7.2 sec with stock 2015.

Is it better to have acceleration with smaller tires (assuming they hold traction under acceleration) or cornering traction with wider (larger diameter) tires?

Nashco

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:23 pm

14" wheels should fit, but I don't think it would help. Our car has enough torque to overwhelm the available traction at low speeds, so tire selection should be largely focused on getting the stickiest tires you can fit. In autocross and hillclimb, cornering is so important that wider is almost always better.

Bryce

refinerysmells

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:19 am

nikwax wrote:please calculate the additional range provided by the weight savings...I'll be that 25 feet could easily be extended by an inch or two.

Yes you guys convinced me to add an extra noise maker and 5 more airbags now I can just stop in front of moving semi's I am invincible at nerdy proportions and only lose minimal range! On a real note, for hot rodding/racing or just extended range anything that unnecessarily takes power and ads weight is a waste. Check out this 1989 technology http://www.treehugger.com/cars/modified ... 8-mpg.html This car stock is said to have got 50mpg but look how modifying and even getting rid of a safety feature/mirror OMG helped its performance. Maybe we can talk more about (closed corse) mods and ideas to see more spark ev's race into the future.

NORTON

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:30 pm

refinerysmells wrote:>... for hot rodding/racing or just extended range anything that unnecessarily takes power and ads weight is a waste.
>>... Maybe we can talk more about (closed [sic] corse) mods and ideas to see more spark ev's race into the future.
>Yes very minimal 'waste', of what, a few Wh's? 50 ft. of calculated range increase? Can't be measured...
Also, if the car has warranty, ( we have a big one !), you shouldn't be dikin with mods that can effect that warranty.

>> 'We' don't have to talk about it. 'You' can look up SCCA Autocross, or Solo 1, or whatever they call it now. Hope to see you there !! I'll be the one with the car that makes a silly space ship sound!
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+67 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

refinerysmells

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Hey do you know if Rota Slipstreams have any difference in the spoke thickness or curve compared to the Desmond Regamaster Evo Brights you used that would affect fitment on the Spark EV ? And I see the Rotas in 15x6.5 with 40mm backspacing thats about .19 of an inch less, would this work out better for not using spacers in the front and work both front & rear? Im aware of the weight difference between the 2 wheels but would like to keep it simple, id be happy with the 195 tire all around if you think that would help.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”