SparkevBlogspot

Re: Spark EV - An affordable electric racecar (my build thre

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:02 pm

mitechman47 wrote:Yes, I also tried to disconnect the "noise maker" under the dash- not only does it throw a code but you can no longer pre-warm it up- it does drive ok though.
I didn't want to pollute Bryce's thread on his racecar (cool project!), so I made another one for fake noise maker here. Maybe we can discuss there until solution is found, then post the solution here so this thread can be for racecar specific discussion?

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/vie ... f=9&t=4436

I saw warning lights, but they went away after I reconnected the box.

mitechman47

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Update on the tires (Federal 595 rs-r 195/50/15 up front and 205/50/15 at the rear on stock rims). Great tires- still have not broken them loose on any turn- the near 50/50 weight and low center of gravity really makes it fun around corners. Still rock solid all the way to 90 mph speed limiter. Range is not so good- been cold here in Michigan, since I have had my car, even with stock tires I have never seen more than 72mi range- usually around 66. My problem with range is living here in the country, every road is at least 50mph and everyone drives 80+ on the highway on the way to work.
Averaging 3.5kw per mile- I have also remembered why I hate front wheel drive- weight transfer off the drive wheels when accelerating. The federal tires will hookup, as I stated earlier, now its the torque management-
Update with HPTuners- they are currently working on programming- its taking longer than planned as the ECU programming is more complex than the Volt- still waiting to see if they come through.
Some people were wondering why mess with the ECU- well some of us like to modify our cars, electric or gas, its makes them unique and much more fun to drive. If I wanted to be boring I would drive a Prius- cant stand the CVT transmissions. The instant power of electric cant be beat!
Also, those who say you can not modify a hybrid/electric car, your wrong- There is programming available for the first gen Volt, the 0-60 drops down to the upper 5 seconds, this program has been around for years and have yet to hear of anyone blowing up their engine/electronics/batteries.
Electric cars are the future- just a matter of time before battery technology further improves to give good range/affordability. Look at the recent release of the Tesla model 3- almost 200k orders placed in the first day without a test drive!

NORTON

Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:34 pm

mitechman47 wrote:>...Some people were wondering why mess with the ECU- well some of us like to modify our cars, electric or gas, ..
>>...There is programming available for the first gen Volt, the 0-60 drops down to the upper 5 seconds, this program has been around for years ....
>>>...Look at the recent release of the Tesla model 3- almost 200k orders placed in the first day without a test drive!
>So what you gonna do, turn it way up? "This one has 11. That's better than 10", , Spinal Tap.
Why not turn it up to 15? And a top speed of 140 mph? We also know that Electric Motors do not have a 'Red Line RPM' either, right?
>>None of that has been proven. In fact one of those 'tuners' has stopped posting anything. I follow this subject on that forum.
>>>What does this cult-ish behavior have to do with anything?
Can any of those 'Depositors' even name 3 other BEV's?
How, technically, is the T3 different than the Chevy Bolt? Except, one of them has an ETA.

Good info on the tires. Thanks !
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+64k miles. Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

SparkevBlogspot

Fri May 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Do you have any videos of your Spark EV racing? What are some stats on the races compared to other cars?

EldRitch

Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:53 pm

A couple of questions:

- What would it do for, or to, the car for enthusiastic road/street use to install the Megan Racing front coilovers, while leaving the rear alone? Would that upset the handing too drastically?

- Got anything for us on the rear seat delete project? I'd really be ready to for that. I love the idea of a cargo area with three doors...

NORTON

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:35 am

EldRitch wrote:...
- Got anything for us on the rear seat delete project? I'd really be ready to for that. I love the idea of a cargo area with three doors...
So just remove the rear seats, top and bottom!!

I know what you mean about cargo space. My car has been driven 90% of the time with the rear seats down and a large custom cut piece of carpet covering the whole area.
I like the idea of being able to move the carpet and put the rear seats up if needed.

The car has less space to heat or cool, (and it's quieter), with the rear seats up and the hatch cover in place.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+64k miles. Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

EldRitch

noise in the car

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:54 pm

A guy in the Volvo C30 forum posted his solution, which was a cover that went in above the rear seats all the way to their front edge, level with the bottom of the rear windows, and enclosed what became a real covered trunk.

As to noise from the back, a surprising amount of noise gets into a car through taillights and such. You can reduce it noticeably if you line the underside of the hatch cover with a scrap of carpet, and put in a real carpet mat to replace the OEM flannel trunk mat. Pix of mine tomorrow.

SparkevBlogspot

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:16 pm

How much weight would seats and other "stuff" remove? Will they amount to 200 lb? According to calculations, 200 lb less with 2015/2016 should result in 0-60 MPH time of about 6.8 seconds. That might be comparable or even quicker than Bolt. Remove 1000 lb, and it could result in under 5 seconds 0-60 time! Assuming you get stickier tires, that is.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/06/spa ... lysis.html

Zoomit

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:29 pm

SparkevBlogspot wrote:How much weight would seats and other "stuff" remove?
Rear seats and various carpets might be 50 lbs on the high end. Definitely not worth it, IMHO.
2015 Spark EV: 2LT, DCFC, Summit White

Nashco

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:23 am

I included info on weight reduction earlier in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3656&p=14221#p14221

Rear seats, tire pump, emergency charger, floor mats, etc. add up to nearly 100 pounds. If you pull it all out, the car is noticeably louder, but also noticeably quicker and has much more interior volume available for stuff.
EldRitch wrote:A couple of questions:

- What would it do for, or to, the car for enthusiastic road/street use to install the Megan Racing front coilovers, while leaving the rear alone? Would that upset the handing too drastically?

I see no benefit in installing the Megan setup in front unless you're also modifying the rear.

I'll try to get pictures of my rear seat delete setup soon, with measurements of the cargo floor I built. I'm super short on time lately, so commentary will be limited, I'll let the pictures do the talking. I also drilled a few holes into the rear plastics in strategic spots so I can pull the rear speaker pods with a screwdriver in a few minutes (instead of disassembling half of the car!). This makes the rear hatch opening far more usable...enough so that I'm confused why the factory didn't include these access holes for service reasons.

Bryce

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”