romorris2342
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:51 am

I learned a couple of things regarding rotation. 1) The front and back stock tires are different widths and 2) the tires are unidirectional. This means you cannot go either front to back because of #1 or left to right because of #2. Each tire is assigned to stay on the car in a specific position only. Chevy and their dealers (once they figure it out themselves) will tell you this is by design. I called my "spark advisor" who works for chevy. The suspicious might say it is by design that they are willing to live with your tires wearing out quickly. They will say these tires are designed to wear evenly without rotation. Well, if that last sentence is true why isn't everybody making tire rotations a thing of the past ?

I see no indication on the tires themselves that they are unidirectional (like "this side out" or an arrow indicating direction of travel) but the spark advisor says they are in fact unidirectional tires. Maybe I'm missing the indication on the tires somehow, I'll look again.

StevesWeb
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:35 am

romorris2342 wrote: I see no indication on the tires themselves that they are unidirectional (like "this side out" or an arrow indicating direction of travel) but the spark advisor says they are in fact unidirectional tires. Maybe I'm missing the indication on the tires somehow, I'll look again.
Many years ago there were concerns about rotating steel belted tires from side to side because after being driven for a while they wore in such a way that swapping sides made the steel belts fail. Perhaps a concern of this sort applies. It has always been my understanding that tires should never be rotated from side to side, only front to rear.

I can't wait until I need new front tires so I can be rid of the OEM low rolling resistance tires, they seriously lack traction, which is a desirable trait in a tire.

I expect to never rotate a tire on my Spark EV.

romorris2342
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 pm

StevesWeb wrote:
romorris2342 wrote: I can't wait until I need new front tires so I can be rid of the OEM low rolling resistance tires, they seriously lack traction, which is a desirable trait in a tire.

I expect to never rotate a tire on my Spark EV.
I think I'm ok with the traction. But we had to replace one at 1K miles as it "popped" when my wife brushed up against the curve. Seems fragile. Either that or my wife is down-peddeling how hard she brushed up against the curve.

I'll like not rotating, but me and chevy or the lease company will have a legal issues on our hands somewhere if the "by design" feature from Chevy means that my tires are defined as worn out at my 30K miles (/36 months) turn in time stipulated by the lease.

RichV
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:11 pm

romorris2342 wrote:
StevesWeb wrote:
romorris2342 wrote: I can't wait until I need new front tires so I can be rid of the OEM low rolling resistance tires, they seriously lack traction, which is a desirable trait in a tire.

I expect to never rotate a tire on my Spark EV.
I think I'm ok with the traction. But we had to replace one at 1K miles as it "popped" when my wife brushed up against the curve. Seems fragile. Either that or my wife is down-peddeling how hard she brushed up against the curve.

I'll like not rotating, but me and chevy or the lease company will have a legal issues on our hands somewhere if the "by design" feature from Chevy means that my tires are defined as worn out at my 30K miles (/36 months) turn in time stipulated by the lease.

I'm not sure why there would be legal issues involved simply due to the tire choice by the manufacturer.

For decades, cars have come with staggered and/or directional tires that are not able to be rotated. Any informed car buyer should realize this is a possibility.

romorris2342
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:22 pm

]
StevesWeb wrote:
romorris2342 wrote:
I'm not sure why there would be legal issues involved simply due to the tire choice by the manufacturer.

For decades, cars have come with staggered and/or directional tires that are not able to be rotated. Any informed car buyer should realize this is a possibility.
[/quote]

If their design precludes the satisfaction of the lease terms as a possibility, you betcha. First to arbitration, them immediately to court within 90 days if arbitration doesn't pan out.

tigger19687
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:24 am
Location: Boston

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Dumb question..... what about wheel alignment ?

I have trucks so this is a must.

But with this kind of tire, would you need to align it more frequently ?

RichV
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Again, this has been common practice for years. I fail to follow what laws are broken and why legal action would be necessary. It is certainly not a defect.

Was it a poor design? Sure!

Is it unsafe? Nope!

This comes down to a case of buyer be ware, IMO

RichV
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:39 pm

tigger19687 wrote:Dumb question..... what about wheel alignment ?

I have trucks so this is a must.

But with this kind of tire, would you need to align it more frequently ?
It's always a good idea to keep the wheel alignment within spec. Opinions vary on how frequently this should be done. In THEORY, unless something bends or comes loose, your wheel alignment should't change much over the course of the lifetime of the vehicle.

That being said, minute changes in the suspension geometry due to wear and tear will cause it to go out sporadically. If you are good about monitoring tire wear, you can usually catch it before any serious premature wear is done to the tires. Alternatively, you can have the alignment checked and adjusted as necessary every few thousand miles.

I have had cars that never needed any alignment adjustments over course of 90,000 miles and others that seemed to need it every 10,000 miles.

emv
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 pm
Location: PDX

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:58 pm

romorris2342 wrote: I'll like not rotating, but me and chevy or the lease company will have a legal issues on our hands somewhere if the "by design" feature from Chevy means that my tires are defined as worn out at my 30K miles (/36 months) turn in time stipulated by the lease.
I fear all you will do is give some lawyer some money.

Historically, American cars have come with the cheapest pieces of rubber the automakers could get away with. I don't think any one of us would consider the Spark's tires to be anything approaching greatness.

Additionally, tires are generally not warrantied by the car maker but by the tire maker. So any possible claim would be against them but I don't believe they came with any sort of tread life guarantee. (I'll have to check this when I'm at home)

You might want to check the fine print in your lease too. It may require the tires to have a certain percentage of the tread, possibly 50%, which would be near impossible to obtain with OEM donuts. And you may have signed away your right to sue and be required to use binding arbitration.

I'd like to see better tires as standard. It's a total waste to put on new tires 30 months into a three year lease, but that's what it is.
2014 Spark, 2005 Prius. When we take the Prius we say we're taking the gas hog.

romorris2342
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:09 pm

I was really referring to wearing evenly. If the lease penalizes for uneven wear (and they could) that presumes that even wear over the lease period is possible. If it in fact is not possible by design that would be unfair. Either accidentally or on purpose it is completely beside the point.

No one would ever hire a laser for this (unless class action). This is a small claim suit and it would have to be preceded by arbitration if good cause why arbitration does not apply is not shown. As such they have to show up on the date of the case or forfeit - and lawyers are not permitted. If they did prevail there, it will cost them a couple of thousand dollars (paying someone to attend that day of the case and there can be more than one day depending, possible flights, prep) to save $400. I get to choose the location of the case as the filer (and its down the street).

There's really a whole slew of conditions before this ever happens. Lease has to end, the design must fail to wear evenly, they have to so penalize, I don't buy the car or strike another deal etc etc. I don't plan on being forced to buy them a new set of tires at 30K miles without them pay a price for that. That would be BS. As 10 things have to happen between then and now for it to go south - I won't sweat it at this moment, just type some notes down and move on.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”