Nashco
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 12:00 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:06 pm

As I said here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3584&start=20
The tires are not unidirectional. The tires can (and should) be rotated left to right, but not front to rear. Sounds like you got some bad information from the spark advisor.
I don't understand how you'd have a legal standing by having your driven tires wear out faster than your non-driven tires and needing to replace them within your lease period. Sure, it might piss you off because you didn't factor it in to your cost of ownership, but GM never says they'll provide warranty on the tires due to wear (rather than manufacturing defect, which they will cover). If they did, they'd be buying me a LOT of tires, as I only got about 4000 miles on my front tires before they were down to the wear bars! Can you imagine how many tires they'd be buying for Corvettes, Camaros, etc. if they had a mileage guarantee on the OEM tires?

As I said here:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/vie ... 4&start=10
For those with 3 year leases, I HIGHLY recommend you get better tires on the car right away. Drive the car for the next 30,000 miles or so with much better tires and enjoy it. When you're nearing the end of your lease, put the Ecopias back on it before returning it. I guarantee you won't get 36,000 miles out of your Ecopias on the front...so if you need to buy new tires, you might as well buy them now and enjoy them instead of buying new tires for the next person down the line.
Bryce

tigger19687
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:24 am
Location: Boston

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 am

Any large Company has a lawyer on "Retainer".
So I would think in terms of $$ it will cost them.

But it would be an easy Win if you could prove that there is Early wear on these tires and that THEY Know about it.

romorris2342
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:41 am

tigger19687 wrote:Any large Company has a lawyer on "Retainer".
So I would think in terms of $$ it will cost them.

But it would be an easy Win if you could prove that there is Early wear on these tires and that THEY Know about it.
Lawyers are not permitted in CA Small Claim Court. They have to send a company representative and that person cannot
be a Lawyer they have hired to represent them. The Small Claim process is specifically setup to avoid the necessity of Legal
Representative for these low-value cases (Under 10K at this time). That person has to prepare for the case as well, or
come in cold (in which case he's in no position to argue anything). Been here, done that. It works well. Went up against
a 10 Billion Financial corporation know as OCWEN financial last year and won that 10K max value plus costs. I know what
I'm doing in that particular venue. For that 400 or 500 $ for tires, even if they did prevail - they would lose big time
and all I'm out is $80 in court costs plus $20 bucks to serve them and maybe 20 hours of my time. It works, but you
have to be really pissed off to go thru it. Two years from now, we'll see. I really don't like getting cheated. (and there
is the arbitration thing to navigate before getting deeper involved).

RichV
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Just increasing the future cost of cars we buy new. Someone has to pay for all this litigation and it will be passed on to the consumer.

romorris2342
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:39 am

RichV wrote:Just increasing the future cost of cars we buy new. Someone has to pay for all this litigation and it will be passed on to the consumer.
Think of it as our way of eliminating the unworthy. That attitude that's its "just business" is short hand for 'being underhanded is ok'.
It's not just business. Serve the customer in a fair manner or perish. Chevy has no business being in business. They will require
another bail out, but mark my words - they won't be seeing one.

Nashco
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 12:00 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:23 pm

How has GM been underhanded? Should they replace your wiper blades in 3 years as well? What about washer fluid? Where do you draw the line? Tires are consumable, GM has no tire wear warranty provision. Sounds like you made an assumption about tire life and costs of ownership. Many Leaf owners (using the same tires) have done the same, but that doesn't give any legal right to compensation.

Bryce

nmikmik
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:46 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Nashco wrote:How has GM been underhanded? Should they replace your wiper blades in 3 years as well? What about washer fluid? Where do you draw the line? Tires are consumable, GM has no tire wear warranty provision. Sounds like you made an assumption about tire life and costs of ownership. Many Leaf owners (using the same tires) have done the same, but that doesn't give any legal right to compensation.

Bryce
I would disagree with these statements. If the wiper blades and washer fluid have some kind of mile warranty then the manufacturer should replace the item that is warranted. In case of tires, they should carry some kind of mileage warranty and if not holding up to that mileage, should be replaced as well. But they don't, here is our tire warranty:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... 55TR5EP150
No treadware warranty no UTQG listing at all. The problem is, that in fact the manufacturers do have multitude of lawyers on staff and word their warranties they way to prevent people from going after them. Again, it's not just the Bridgestone, GM or Chevy, it's ALL of them. Car manufacturers put crappy tires on the cars they sell because it makes financial sense to them and for as long as not enough people complain and try to sue them, nothing going to change in that respect :(
Warranty booklet simply states; "Ware-out is not considered a defect", this is most likely is a result of some people driving their Camaros and Corvettes to the point where the rubber is just peeling off :(
With today's software, they could look up the tire-burnout events in the ECM, but why would they bother when they can just state the above...
2014 white LT1 w/QC option
2014 blue LT2 w/QC option

Nashco
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 12:00 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:09 am

nmikmik wrote:
Nashco wrote:How has GM been underhanded? Should they replace your wiper blades in 3 years as well? What about washer fluid? Where do you draw the line? Tires are consumable, GM has no tire wear warranty provision. Sounds like you made an assumption about tire life and costs of ownership. Many Leaf owners (using the same tires) have done the same, but that doesn't give any legal right to compensation.

Bryce
I would disagree with these statements.
Which statement do you disagree with? Statements I made:

1. Tires are consumable.
2. GM has no tire wear warranty provision.
3. Sounds like you made an assumption about tire life and costs of ownership.
4. Many Leaf owners (using the same tires) have done the same.
5. That doesn't give any legal right to compensation.

These all seem like pretty agreeable statements. Also, for the record, "our" tire warranty is NOT something you'll find on tirerack.com...OEM tire warranty is clarified in your OEM documentation, and is not treated the same as aftermarket tire sales.

Bryce

nmikmik
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:46 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Nashco wrote: Which statement do you disagree with? Statements I made:

1. Tires are consumable.
2. GM has no tire wear warranty provision.
3. Sounds like you made an assumption about tire life and costs of ownership.
4. Many Leaf owners (using the same tires) have done the same.
5. That doesn't give any legal right to compensation.

These all seem like pretty agreeable statements. Also, for the record, "our" tire warranty is NOT something you'll find on tirerack.com...OEM tire warranty is clarified in your OEM documentation, and is not treated the same as aftermarket tire sales.

Bryce
Let me clarify, :oops:

I do not disagree with your statements because they are not true, I disagree because I don't like them been true, and believe the rest of the consumers should do the same.


1. Tires are consumable. - true and does not mean they should not have a treadware warranty.
2. GM has no tire wear warranty provision. - true but why?
3. Sounds like you made an assumption about tire life and costs of ownership. - sounds like a logical assumption to make.
4. Many Leaf owners (using the same tires) have done the same. - somewhat of a proof to a point #3
5. That doesn't give any legal right to compensation. - true but why?

By accepting the fact that tires are consumables and have no ware-out warranty we perpetuate the problem. So what is next? Manufacturer can put even crappier tires and still get away with it?
In my opinion the problem is that we, as consumers, have absolutely no control over it. Are we going to stop buying cars that have crappy OEM tires, most likely not and manufacturer know it and keeps doing what he does.
I barely have 2000 miles on these tires and hate them with a passion. So, I am forced to spend another $400+ (pardon me, make it $800+ because I got two of them) on a set of new tires for a leased vehicle, why?
2014 white LT1 w/QC option
2014 blue LT2 w/QC option

nozferatu
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:35 pm

FYI...I just had my tires rotated as specified..side to side. 7700 miles on the clock...now the car pulls quite heavily to the left.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”