stevon

Spare Tire?

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:12 am

I was looking into buying a Porsche 924 spare 1979 to 1982 folding 165-14 tire by vredestein and a correct size and offset 14 inch steel wheel
http://www.amazon.com/Pacer-83B-4441-Bl ... automotive
Remove tire and remount to purchased rim to use as a spare. Overall folded size is 18 inches outside tire diameter.
What do you think guys?
Last edited by stevon on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

stevon

Re: Spare Tire?

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20 am

But the car only goes 60 or so miles. Will be close enough to tow Spark or get a ride to my house! So why carry all of the weight and use the tiny space left in hatch after the generator install to lug this tire around? What my next plan is to get another tire and rim, store it at my house just in case, along with tire iron and jack in the car. What is the communities thoughts on this subject?
stevon wrote:I was looking into buying a Porsche 924 spare 1979 to 1982 folding 165-14 tire by vredestein and a steel 14 inch wheel
http://www.amazon.com/Pacer-83B-4441-Bl ... automotive
Remove tire and remount to purchased rim to use as a spare. Overall folded size is 18 inches outside tire diameter.

Zoomit

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:03 am

I've never had a tire issue that the tire inflator kit wouldn't have fixed. I could see buying an extra front and rear tire, and storing them at home, if you're really wiggy about it and need to keep your car working with minimal downtime.

Buying and carrying a spare? Not for me.
2015 Spark EV: 2LT, DCFC, Summit White

ImTedBell

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:43 pm

How about runflat tires? If a flat tire is that much of a concern it's probably worth the cost and keep the little trunk space we have.
2015 Spark EV - Kumho Ecsta 4x II
2009 Mazdaspeed3
2005 Chevy Crappalier

Factory Spark EV tires for sale. PM me.

stevon

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:12 am

ImTedBel,
You would need low rolling resistance run flats if they exist.
ImTedBell wrote:How about runflat tires? If a flat tire is that much of a concern it's probably worth the cost and keep the little trunk space we have.

Zoomit

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I don't see any run flat tires available on Tire Rack at any sizes close to fitting on the stock wheels. So I'll conclude that run flats are not an option.
2015 Spark EV: 2LT, DCFC, Summit White

stevon

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:37 am

Another thought, if front tire air sensor reads no air, electric motor is disabled, A run flat tire wouldn't be of any use on the front rims.
stevon wrote:ImTedBel,
You would need low rolling resistance run flats if they exist.
ImTedBell wrote:How about runflat tires? If a flat tire is that much of a concern it's probably worth the cost and keep the little trunk space we have.

NORTON

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:02 am

[quote="stevon"] ...What my next plan is to get another tire and rim, store it at my house just in case, along with tire iron and jack in the car...
[quote="stevon"]

But aren't the rims very different front to rear? You could have one tire size but what rim would fit front or rear? I"m pretty sure a rear rim will not work on the front.

BTW, I did have a leak on my Volt tire that just let the white goo come spewing out onto the gravel driveway at the lake house on a Sunday.
I had to have the car towed to a Chevy dealership on Monday and they were able to repair the tire.
But still, I had to use a vacation day dikin with a flat tire...

Then on the Spark EV I had a piece of bone go through the sidewall/tread area that the tire store said was not repairable. I drove on it for days because at first it was just a slow leak but then got worse. I got a free replacement tire from tirerack.com. There is a picture of this in another thread here.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+67 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

stevon

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:07 am

NORTON,
Amazon shows that it fits the Chevy Spark EV, would have to try. Would also have to install the air pressure sensor to make it useful. I'll let you know after I order it, test it and post it here.
NORTON wrote:
stevon wrote: ...What my next plan is to get another tire and rim, store it at my house just in case, along with tire iron and jack in the car...
stevon wrote:
But aren't the rims very different front to rear? You could have one tire size but what rim would fit front or rear? I"m pretty sure a rear rim will not work on the front.

BTW, I did have a leak on my Volt tire that just let the white goo come spewing out onto the gravel driveway at the lake house on a Sunday.
I had to have the car towed to a Chevy dealership on Monday and they were able to repair the tire.
But still, I had to use a vacation day dikin with a flat tire...

Then on the Spark EV I had a piece of bone go through the sidewall/tread area that the tire store said was not repairable. I drove on it for days because at first it was just a slow leak but then got worse. I got a free replacement tire from tirerack.com. There is a picture of this in another thread here.

TheLondonBroiler

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:08 am

stevon wrote:NORTON,
Amazon shows that it fits the Chevy Spark EV, would have to try. Would also have to install the air pressure sensor to make it useful. I'll let you know after I order it, test it and post it here.
I'm curious to know what you discovered
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 46,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 6,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”