ChargePoint Level 2 home unit

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipchick

I am on the waitlist for the home version of ChargePoint level 2 charger. Has this been released in other parts of the country? Anyone have experience with this home unit? Thanks!

Could you say why you ordered the ChargePoint unit vs any of the other units on the market? Just curious.

I have my eye on a ClipperCreek unit with a 25 foot cord and portability for $399.

Hi Nikwax,

I had the local Bosch representative, an electrician give me a bid to install a Bosch unit. I already have a dryer plug in the garage that I would use for the EV. I'm not eligible for state rebates in FL. With the Bosch unit, the bid was $1800. Sure wish I was kidding. The electrician would not provide a bid without adding on a second 240 plug. Phone calls to Bosch were not answered. Electrician (a nice guy who found a niche) told me he is providing 5 bids a week due to sales of the (in my opinion, underpowered) BMW EV. Good business for him, but not an amount I would spend!

Chargepoint has multiple free public units (libraries, AAA, grocery stores, airport waiting area) around town, as well as pay per units. I not only liked the features and size of the Charegepoint home unit, I appreciate having one vendor to manage. I hope ChargePoint will work with our local electricity provider, TECO, so I can preset a charge during the lowest rates. I'm fine waiting because we are moving in a few months to a new home that does not have the 220 plug in the garage. My (new) electrician gave me a bid of $825 to install the Charge point charger on a separate panel that will support the EV as well as a 30 amp for our RV. So for now, I use the 110 that came with the car. Slow, but does the job.

Best,
Janet

Why can't you just put the connector type that is on your dryer onto the L2 and on laundry day plug the dryer back in for a while?
(clippercreek might have one ready to go with that connector, less than $400 shipped. Do you really need any of the features the chargepoint unit has? All you need is a 3.3kW {15A} rated EVSE)
$1800 sounds outrageous.

Thanks Janet. I haven't seen that the ChargePoint unit is available yet, it does have some interesting features. I like that the cables and cords are interchangeable for future reconfiguration. Let us know how you like it.

I had a fairly simple install done, a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 socket installed on a concrete foundation wall about ten feet from the main panel. With permits, it ran about $550, $200 of that was the permit.

I know a lot of people here have installed their own circuits, and I've done my share of homeowner electrical work, and I'm no longer willing to assume the liability of my own electrical work, nor is my insurance company. It's worth $500 to keep my homeowners insurance in tact.

hipchick
I ordered the 30 amp L2 Bosch unit and got the instant rebate during purchase, it was an extra $150 or so for the balance plus shipping and handling. If you can afford to have it installed I highly recommend it. Chose the 30 amp version for a 6.6 KW charge rate car I will be buying in the future (16 amp Bosch unit is the 3.3 kw version, OK for current Spark EV) Unplugging the Dryer every other or every day becomes a drag after a while. You also risk slipping your fingers onto the contacts while unplugging (slight risk) and getting zapped, happened to me. Another option is the open ESVE 30 amp combo unit. Great device, the only "charger" you will ever need. It can take 100 to 250 volts input and automatically switches so any input will work and you don't have to carry a 120 volt EVSE and a separate 240 volt EVSE around in the car. That realy IMO is the one best solution and its portable! Get the Standard kit "No Solder" version unless you are electronics soldering savvy the assembly is easy with YouTube videos See : http://store.openevse.com/products/openevse-30a-standard-charge-station-combo
A couple of adapters and I can charge almost anywhere! A future proof solution: Have a L6-30 wall socket installed in your house and buy a portable EVSE.
Spark-Cord-Adapt-1-sm.jpg

hipchick said:
I am on the waitlist for the home version of ChargePoint level 2 charger. Has this been released in other parts of the country? Anyone have experience with this home unit? Thanks!

Wow !
Stevon knows a thing or two about dryer outlets and apparently lots of people with different kinds of outlets !!

I never saw this post before :roll:

Back