Rear turn signal lenses?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikwax

I was following a Spark today in the rain and noticed that the rear turn signals aren't all that conspicuous. Has anyone found a red/yellow or red/clear lens for the rear light cluster?

This is one of the safety weak points in this vehicle, and many GM vehicles. They could REALLY use amber turn signals lenses or clear with amber bulbs. I have a spot that I have to stop and turn into a driveway in the middle of a fast curve and I have to be really careful about the cars behind me. I signal REAL early and put a lot of distance between me and the car behind to keep things from getting too hairy.

I was poking around one of the gas Spark forums, it's a complaint there as well. Apparently the UK and Asian gas Sparks have amber turn signals, so people are trying to source parts from there. A couple of suggestions were eBay from India or UK. I had a quick look around US eBay and only saw US spec lenses.

So I bought these from Korea: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16172383464...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

They physically fit the 2014 Spark EV; the mount points are identical.

Wire harness/sockets/bulbs are included.

The turn signal lens is clear; a yellow incandescent or LED would work perfectly.

My plan was to keep the 7443 brake/running light on top; the turn signal/running light (also 7443) would become just a turn signal with a 7440 bulb.

No dice.

They are set up with 1157 sockets/bulbs. The 1157 sockets are bigger than the Spark EV's 7443 sockets; hence, the mount holes in the lens assembly are bigger; no easy solution. The wire harness is different than the USA-version, so it also doesn't work.

I could cut the factory harness and wire-in the Korean harness, but that would take years, and cost thousands of lives.

I'm sending them back.

Continue the search.

-Bob K.

sTeeve said:
I could cut the factory harness and wire-in the Korean harness, but that would take years, and cost thousands of lives.

Don't give up the fight for the lights! As the great song 'Still Alive' teaches:

We do what we must because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.

:p

Back