Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in custom made lowering springs?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:58 am 

Sorry about the lack of updates, with the holidays and travel it's been rough.

Apparently our front springs use "banana" type design that exerts lateral forces on the travel to reduce wear on the struts, so Betts is looking at how to make that. You can google the term and read about it, but from what I understand, making this type isn't as easy and there are some additional considerations and complexities so I'm awaiting their response.

Happy new year!

'15 Spark EV w/Michelin Premier A/S 195/55/15 all around

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:36 pm 

If you are having problems with spring development, I will go with Eaton Detroit Spring, they can make anything for anything and they are local to me. Ill check with them and update.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:50 pm 

I'd actually be more interested in raising the clearance/suspension, since I'd like to have a bit more off-road ability.

Possible? (asked by an auto neophyte)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:39 pm 

If you want to go off-road, you have the wrong car. The entire underbody has pretty fragile plastic panels which are used to optimize aerodynamics. There's also almost no room for bigger tires.

With that said, you could raise the car with the Megan Racing coilovers that I've documented in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3656

Bryce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:07 am 

Well, not as in OHV, but I work at a nature preserve and some of the roads are dirt (with the usual pitfalls). Not that I have to drive it out there, but just an inch or two more clearance would help navigate them when I do. Looking forward to a cheaper version of the Rav4EV, or others similar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm 

Update: Bad news guys, after some considerations and internal discussions, Betts said they don't have the R&D resources to do this, so they're backing away from the project.

mitechman47 mentioned Eaton Detroit Springs, and if you could reach out please let us know.

I'm still holding out hopes for this, because after looking at Nashco's instructions I think that's a lot of custom work that may or may not pan out for me. I'm also interested to find out if anyone has tried other strut inserts?

'15 Spark EV w/Michelin Premier A/S 195/55/15 all around

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:55 pm 

As I sent via email, just because the springs on our car aren't typical coil springs doesn't mean that the replacement springs need to be that way. Here's another plan of attack to consider:

1. Buy this H&R kit (28937-1) for $200 to get the front springs (rears won't work on the Spark EV):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381355770408

2. Buy this Ground Control kit (8030) for $240 to use for rear springs with 325 lb/in spring rate:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... I=96/CA=18

3. I can make a small shopping list of hardware needed to bolt the rear springs in, the fronts should be a drop in.

This will utilize the stock dampers. I have no idea how much the fronts would lower the car compared to stock, but from what I know about the EV versus gas Spark front springs, I would expect it to lower the Spark EV front 20-30mm (depends on the rate vs. free length of the H&R springs, which I don't know). The rear springs could be adjusted as you see fit, ideally matching the rear height to whatever the front ends up at.

If somebody wants to try this, order the above and contact me when you get the parts. I'll clarify exactly what parts you'll need to bolt the rear springs in at that point (need to confirm measurements on the latest Ground Control parts, since the ones I used were made long ago).

Casualsurfer wrote:
I'm also interested to find out if anyone has tried other strut inserts?

I don't see much benefit to other strut inserts unless you can find some that are much better quality than factory parts. I haven't seen any quality dampers that bolt onto our car. Once upon a time there were some gas Sparks racing in Mexico in a series called Sol VD (?) that claimed they were running Bilstein dampers, but I couldn't ever find part numbers or track down other details.

Bryce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:10 pm 

Ok, I will contact my local vendor- I also plan on dropping off the springs so they can get a good look at them.
I would say about 1" lower all around and a higher spring rate for the rear to reduce the squat.
Ill update later this week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm 

Ok, I dropped off the springs today- the front spring has an open end so the easiest option is to cut it (this will also increase the spring rate 10-15%). At stated in this thread, the rear springs may present a challenge but they will let me know by the end of the week. I asked for 1+ inch drop and increased spring rate for the rears... Ill keep you posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:05 pm 

BTW, the shocks are so soft and they barely push back out after pushing them in. Im talking push in and out with my fingers. I have measured them and they are close to the Chevy cruze rear shocks (it has the same rear suspension setup with the cast arms welded to the steel tube). Ill work on an easy shock upgrade while Im working on the springs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next