L2 charger upgrade from 3.3 to 6.6 Kw

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the onboard L2 (~240V; 3.3kw ;13.75A) charging capability of the 2016 Spark EV to (~240V; 6.6kw; 27.5A)? I purchased a 30A Bosch L2 charger, but I cannot use it to its full potential with the stock onboard charger. Maybe the batteries are not designed to accept more than 3.3kW @240V. However that does not seem to be the case since it has the optional DC Fast charger built in.... Perhaps the onboard rectifier circuit in the charger (AC:DC) cannot handle the higher I? It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal for Chevrolet to offer an aftermarket 6.6kW L2 charger with a beefier rectifier circuit to dissipate the additional heat handle the higher I?

2pifL said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the onboard L2 (~240V; 3.3kw ;13.75A) charging capability of the 2016 Spark EV to (~240V; 6.6kw; 27.5A)? I purchased a 30A Bosch L2 charger, but I cannot use it to its full potential with the stock onboard charger. Maybe the batteries are not designed to accept more than 3.3kW @240V. However that does not seem to be the case since it has the optional DC Fast charger built in.... Perhaps the onboard rectifier circuit in the charger (AC:DC) cannot handle the higher I? It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal for Chevrolet to offer an aftermarket 6.6kW L2 charger with a beefier rectifier circuit to dissipate the additional heat handle the higher I?

In a word, "no". There are alternatives, depending upon the depth of your pocketbook.

The way around slow AC charging (3.3 kW) is to invert AC to DC and take advantage of the DC charging system...like this:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4652

*it appears that evseadapters website is down as I'm unable to connect.

-Bob K.

What's the charging rate on the bolt and will its onboard charger plug and play with the spark?

sphinx said:
What's the charging rate on the bolt and will its onboard charger plug and play with the spark?

Remember that futzing with the charging H/W will completely invalidate your battery warranty (8 years / 100K miles). Personally I don't think it's worth it.

Back