Ideas needed - - Clear curtain behind front seats.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTON

For extreme cold conditions I'd rather not heat the entire cabin of the car.
I drive my Spark EV 95% of the time as a 2 seater, with the back seats down and a large cut-to-fit piece of carpet covering the rear area completely.

I'm hoping to MacGyver a thin pvc/pex tubing from side to side 'lightly' pressing against the headliner,
and using some sort of clear plastic sheeting to create a barrier.

The 'Winterization' kits for patio doors at the depot would work. They are very clear and can be heated with a hair dryer to take the waves out.
Velcro dots could hold the sides and floor in place.

But sometimes I haul family dogs in the back. One push with a paw and that would be destroyed....

Any creative idea people out there? :)

Hey, I can hear you Cali owners laughing,,, not funny..... :(

Blankets and seat warmers.

If you really wanted to make something, I would go with an upper and lower section of plexiglass.

67goat said:
.. I would go with an upper and lower section of plexiglass.
Excellent idea!
In fact only the material above the seat backs needs to be clear. And foam water pipe insulation tubes would keep the plexiglass from marking the headliner and sides.
I need cabin heat to keep the windows clear. I can wear coats and gloves, but I still need defrost.

You warm weather people don't understand.... :cry:

Chaconzies said:
Laughing over here from Cali. Is preheating the car when plugged in not an option?...]
Being the Cheap B that I am, I try not to plug in at home unless it's colder than a witch-itata.
I still preheat sometimes just on battery power. But what do I do for the rest of the ~25 morning commute?

I liked the plexiglass idea. The depot sells 1/16" thick Lexan sheets. That is a little safer.
I'm envisioning a shower curtain rod that allows threaded compression against the sides by twisting, mounted low somewhere behind the seats pressing against the door jam.
The Lexan can be drilled and ty-rapped to the rod. The Lexan will have foam pipe tubing to keep it sealed against the sides and ceiling without marking it up.
Then, I don't know what around the seat sides and base?? Cardboard and duct tape? Only I'd like to remove it when I need to haul 3-4 people.

Just to be clear,, I hate winter.

I had a lexan passenger window for months in a previous car. Worked great (other than no way to roll down).

You could use 1/4 ply for the bottom section. Make a cardboard template and then cut it to fit with a handheld jigsaw. Velcro strip on top of ply and bottom of lexan to seal. Seal the bottom and sides of the ply using foam pipe insulation.

Something like this or this. They would be flexible and follow the curves. It wouldn't be 100% airtight, but it should be good enough and easy to remove.

67goat said:
...You could use 1/4 ply for the bottom section. Make a cardboard template and then cut it to fit with a handheld jigsaw. Velcro strip on top of ply and bottom of lexan to seal. Seal the bottom and sides of the ply using foam pipe insulation...
Awesome!
I like the part where the lexan overlaps the lower section. Vertical strips of velcro would be the main support for the lexan upper section. The foam tubes should help press it into place.
The lower will be 3/8" poly foam. The blue stuff to match my interior bits!
I'll probably just have a backpack with winter survival gear and an EV survival gear pack on the floor pressing on the foam to keep it in place. These two parts could be removed and stored easily.

Crap, it was 15° yesterday... I need it now. But I guess I have nothing to complain about compared to some...

We'll see if fogging in the back is an issue. The rear glass will be fine. The sides may need an opening for some air flow to the glass.

I was thinking of using a 12v heated vest, and some 12v heated gloves. For the passenger (wife), I need to find a small electric blanket that she can use as an electric serape.
To wire this up, I'm going to put relays under both front seats, and have the heated seat button engage both the seat warmers, as well as the heated gear.

1st2know said:
I was thinking of using a 12v heated vest, and some 12v heated gloves. For the passenger (wife), I need to find a small electric blanket .....
Dang, and you don't even know what it's like to be in a cold climate! :lol:
I recently was dealing with -5° F. You have to keep outside air and the defrost on.

Are you trying to stretch the range? Or pinch the expensive electrons?

Back