Bolt 7.2 kWh onboard charger on Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not possible on the Spark from what we have seen with the DC Fast Charge port Upgrade. The contacts leading to the battery would not withstand that current... It is sad that they have not oversized these DC bus bars.

I assume the link is for the Bolt charger.

This will not be a plug and play upgrade.

Besides I'm fine with home 3.3 kW charging. (not kWh).
I'd have to upgrade my home EVSE and the house wiring to it.
If I'm in a hurry to top up I drive 5 miles to a free DCFC !! :cool:

7.2 kW at 240V is 30A. But going to the battery would be ~370V, which would be about 20A. Is the bus bar unable to handle even 20A? It's hard to believe since DCFC is close to 125A.

Still, I suspect major surgery would be needed to replace 3.3 kW unit with 7.2 kW unit, not to mention the cost. It might be cheaper to just lease a Bolt.

SparkevBlogspot said:
7.2 kW at 240V is 30A. But going to the battery would be ~370V, which would be about 20A. Is the bus bar unable to handle even 20A? It's hard to believe since DCFC is close to 125A.
t might be cheaper to just lease a Bolt.
One is 240V AC going to the onboard charger, then DC from that to the battery. The DC wires from the charger to the battery may need to be upgraded.
The DCFC port send DC direct to the battery through separate B/A wires, I'm sure.

I'd love to see the wiring diagrams and physical layout of the components! ;)

Back