JPL

Future battery replacement

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Since there are no more aA123 batteries, how about rebuilt using Tesla 2170 battery cells?
Stock coolant?
Any opinions will be really appreciate it
2016 Spark EV w/CCS
Front Speakers: Alpine 4" (SPS410)
Back Speakers: Alpine 5X7" (SPS517) w 3D print adapters

17 " Rims
F: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 205/40R17
B: Hankook 205/45R17

2020 Kia E-Soul

2000 Honda Insight MT

ncerna

Re: Future battery replacement

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Why not use the batteries from a 2015-2016 Spark?

But either way, it would probably be less expensive to just buy another used EV.
In a few years you might be able to find used Bolts for around $10,000.

MrDRMorgan

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm

JPL wrote:Since there are no more aA123 batteries, how about rebuilt using Tesla 2170 battery cells?
Stock coolant?
Any opinions will be really appreciate it
Sometime in the future, some bright individual will find a way to easily and quickly test and rebuild EV batteries.

JPL

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 pm

2016 Spark EV w/CCS
Front Speakers: Alpine 4" (SPS410)
Back Speakers: Alpine 5X7" (SPS517) w 3D print adapters

17 " Rims
F: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 205/40R17
B: Hankook 205/45R17

2020 Kia E-Soul

2000 Honda Insight MT

NORTON

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 am

JPL wrote:...Any opinions will be really appreciate it
You worry too much... :shock:

Plot your degradation.
You have 8yr/100k miles of no worries, correct?

After that, when do you replace the cells in the '14 pack with whatever homebuilt option you can find or just use a '15-16 pack :?:

When it is down to a 50 mile pack? 40, 30?
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +76 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

ncerna

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:30 am

NORTON wrote:
JPL wrote:...Any opinions will be really appreciate it
You worry too much... :shock:

Plot your degradation.
You have 8yr/100k miles of no worries, correct?

After that, when do you replace the cells in the '14 pack with whatever homebuilt option you can find or just use a '15-16 pack :?:

When it is down to a 50 mile pack? 40, 30?

True. By the time your battery stops working properly, EV technology will have advanced so much, that aftermarket batteries will be available on the grey market.

SparkevBlogspot

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am

Grey market would only make sense if it's profitable. Given that there aren't many SparkEV on the road, I don't think there will be many options without costing a bundle. Sure, there might be some rebuilt options from shady shops like my experience with Prius battery, but given that there are far fewer SparkEV than Prius, I doubt there will be many.

As for next-gen technology batteries, the problem is the software. Without the ability to change the code, simply replacing the battery with new tech will not work. Again, there aren't enough SparkEV to justify hacking the software and risking lawsuits from potential problems.

I doubt there will be any grey market options using new cells unless SparkEV becomes collector's car. So far, there's no sign that it will be collector's car, which means dead battery is pretty much junk car.

sTeeve

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:41 pm

SparkevBlogspot wrote:Grey market would only make sense if it's profitable. Given that there aren't many SparkEV on the road, I don't think there will be many options without costing a bundle. Sure, there might be some rebuilt options from shady shops like my experience with Prius battery, but given that there are far fewer SparkEV than Prius, I doubt there will be many.

As for next-gen technology batteries, the problem is the software. Without the ability to change the code, simply replacing the battery with new tech will not work. Again, there aren't enough SparkEV to justify hacking the software and risking lawsuits from potential problems.

I doubt there will be any grey market options using new cells unless SparkEV becomes collector's car. So far, there's no sign that it will be collector's car, which means dead battery is pretty much junk car.
Have to agree. It's a "disposable" car.
2014 Spark EV

emv

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm

SparkevBlogspot wrote:Grey market would only make sense if it's profitable. Given that there aren't many SparkEV on the road, I don't think there will be many options without costing a bundle. Sure, there might be some rebuilt options from shady shops like my experience with Prius battery, but given that there are far fewer SparkEV than Prius, I doubt there will be many.

While you are almost undoubtedly correct that the Spark's lifespan coincides with the death of the battery, I have to say that I had very good results with a rebuilt Prius battery (GreenTecAuto). Interestingly they don't do Volt batteries, NiMH might be easier to work with than Lithium.

Sad, as the Spark is such a kick in in the pants to drive. :(
2014 Spark, 2005 Prius. When we take the Prius we say we're taking the gas hog.

MrDRMorgan

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:45 am

sTeeve wrote:

Have to agree. It's a "disposable" car.
Actually, this could be great news to some. Find a nice low-mileage used Spark EV and drive it until it quits. Then, recycle the battery and part-out or scrap the rest. This might be much cheaper than paying for a new car / depreciation. There are a lot of nice used 2014 Spark EVs out there just waiting for some TLC. A Spark EV cannot be beat for in-town driving - DCFC is not needed.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”