Low-clearance snow chains - anybody had success?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcanhasEV

Snow tires alone aren't an option for me, as the mountain pass I want to be able to cross often requires chains for 2WD vehicles. I know the owner's manual says we can't put snow chains on our cars due to the limited clearance, but I found these Thule chains (KONIG CG-9 060) that are specifically made for vehicles with tight gaps between the tire and suspension. These are only 9mm thick on the inner sidewall and tread surfaces. I haven't measured the gap from the tire to the strut yet, but I'm wondering if any brave souls out there have had success with these, or any other snow chains for that matter.

Edit: just found chains with even less thickness - 6.3mm on the inner sidewall surface! Super Z6 SZ119. http://a.co/hNDyn2j They're also cheaper than Thule's on Amazon. Anybody tried them?

I have 195 tires all around (stock is 185 in the front)... I don't think I have any rubbing, so in theory those chains should be ok.

Anyone else run 195's in the front that knows they don't rub?

All about tire sizes

Back