Would a Volt key fob shell work for a 2015 Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSC

The rubber keypad is worn out on one of my 2015 Spark EV key fobs and I would like to replace it (the keypad or the entire shell). I see that a 5 button fob shell for the Volt is listed on ebay, and it looks identical to the fob for my Spark, complete with the correct EV symbols. I was going to place an order, but I thought I'd contact the seller first, including photos of my key fob.

Their response was "Unfortunately, this listing is not compatible with your vehicle." I strongly suspect that this is just the easy and low risk response, and that the Volt fob shell would work. But maybe I'm missing something or the seller's picture on ebay is not correct. Any opinions or knowledge about this?

Edit: The listing is for a 2011-2015 Volt.

RSC said:
The rubber keypad is worn out on one of my 2015 Spark EV key fobs and I would like to replace it (the keypad or the entire shell). I see that a 5 button fob shell for the Volt is listed on ebay, and it looks identical to the fob for my Spark, complete with the correct EV symbols. I was going to place an order, but I thought I'd contact the seller first, including photos of my key fob.

Their response was "Unfortunately, this listing is not compatible with your vehicle." I strongly suspect that this is just the easy and low risk response, and that the Volt fob shell would work. But maybe I'm missing something or the seller's picture on ebay is not correct. Any opinions or knowledge about this?

Edit: The listing is for a 2011-2015 Volt.

No knowledge, just an opinion but I'd go for it. Carvana shows the keys for each car in their inside virtual tour and they look the same as my spark key for that year. I think your low risk suspicion is correct and that you would be just fine

Hi StEVen,

I decided to take a chance and ordered the Volt key fob earlier today. I'll post again when I get a chance to try it out.

RSC said:
Hi StEVen,

I decided to take a chance and ordered the Volt key fob earlier today. I'll post again when I get a chance to try it out.

Great. This will be good to know there is additional replacement.

I got the Volt key fob shell today, and as the seller stated, it was not compatible with my Spark EV. The key blank for the Volt is narrower, so that the key fob body is thinner, and the rubber keypad is not really designed to be removed from the fob body and reinstalled. I'm not too disappointed -- it was worth a try.

Right now I'm using a silicone rubber key fob cover. It looks and works OK, and hopefully protects the keypad from further damage.

RSC said:
I got the Volt key fob shell today, and as the seller stated, it was not compatible with my Spark EV. The key blank for the Volt is narrower, so that the key fob body is thinner, and the rubber keypad is not really designed to be removed from the fob body and reinstalled. I'm not too disappointed -- it was worth a try.

Right now I'm using a silicone rubber key fob cover. It looks and works OK, and hopefully protects the keypad from further damage.

This is a bummer to hear. I'm really sorry and I feel bad for encouraging you to go for it. I'll buy you a beer and treat you to some grade A BBQ if your ever in Austin. :D

Thanks for the offer. I really don't feel too bad about it. It was worth a try, and I was going to do it anyway without encouragement. Now we know.

Back