How about installing a Tesla 10Kw onboard charger?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to get through this shaky 'portrait' video,, (come on. make correct videos...).

So, those 2 thin 'DC Charging wires' which are designed for 3.3kW charging are now supposed to handle 10kW? :?

And then the capped off 'High Power DC' wires,, when does he ever let the electrons out? You can't do charge testing forever.... ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this stuff in my garage! Only I wouldn't be testing higher than rated charging on those little wires.
I'd have a 400 VDC to 120 VAC inverter connected to the Goes Out wires and plan on Solar connected to the Goes In wires. But the 3.3kW OBC would do for now as an emergency battery backup.

espresso said:
NORTON said:
So, those 2 thin 'DC Charging wires' which are designed for 3.3kW charging are now supposed to handle 10kW? :? .

What is the rating for those wires exactly?
Our buddy taking the portrait video could measure the wire gauge,,,
However, the they are designed for the car's onboard charger which is rated at 3.3kW, which is 8.25 Amps at 400 Volts, 9.42 A @ 350 V, etc...

You can't just plug in a 10kW charger into these wires and think everything is going to be alright.
It would require new larger wires leading to the pack, a higher rated connector and wherever these wires go within the pack.

Hey Norton!

How you doing buddy? It's nice to hear from you.
Of course it is not any plug and play solution. The way I'm planning to do it is like the Leaf modders have been doing it with the Brusa charges. The original charger is left intact and additional charges are connected in parallel and or in slave mode directly to the battery terminals with brand new wires with proper gauge (in this case for the 10,000 Watts). An originalTesla harness can be modified easily.

And yeah I may upgrade next year the Soul EV for an used Tesla or a Niro EV. But there is not a car with 400 ft-lb of torque in the Spark size. I got this car specifically to modify it.

Happy Holidays!

JPL said:
... The original charger is left intact and additional charges are connected in parallel and or in slave mode directly to the battery terminals with brand new wires with proper gauge (in this case for the 10,000 Watts). ...!
It looks like a fun project!

But where will these thicker wires contact the HV in the pack.
You can't do it though the existing charger wires.
And I assume the very thick pack wires going to the inverter/controller on the drive unit are after the main 'Contactor', which is energized only when the car is powered on, or when you are DCFC.
It would be great if you could get that working without actually breaking into the pack to make dedicated connections before the main contactor/relay.

And then there is the BMS and TMS which needs to be active while this high power charging is happening...

Keep us informed !

Back