21700 based custom battery pack for the Spark EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPL

Finally got someone that is enable to create a brand new traction battery for our Sparks. It's not cheap.

The 21700 cell is the same one utilized in the Tesla Model 3.

21kWh x $700 = $14700
19kWh x $700 = $13300

30kWh x $700 = $21000
40kWh x $700 = $28000

Originally Posted by Jpl
Hello there,

How much would be a 21700 based custom battery pack for the Spark EV, that will fit in the same battery location?

Hi,

We are still finalizing prices, but it looks like, with BMS they are likely to come in somewhere around $700 per kWh. A big part of this cost is dominated by cells, so it depends somewhat on what kind of cells you want.

This doesn't include any NRE. If you know what size and capacity you need, then that's not an issue. If we would need to do the overall design to determine how to fit the modules in your Spark, then there would be some costs there.

JPL said:
We are still finalizing prices, but it looks like, with BMS they are likely to come in somewhere around $700 per kWh. A big part of this cost is dominated by cells, so it depends somewhat on what kind of cells you want.

This doesn't include any NRE. ....
So,BMS, but no mention of TMS.
By the time ours Spark EV's "need" a pack replacement you could buy a used Bolt or similar for those prices.
And when I say "need",,, I mean "when".
As in, when the pack gets down to ~60 or 50 or 40 miles range does it become useless? Not to me.
And it has a resale value so you can afford a more modern BEV.

'15 and '16 Sparks could use salvage cells from Volts if, and when, individual cells were to die.
I suspect there might be some cells that could be used to replace the A123 cells used in a '14 Spark. The TMS for it is a plate that the cells sit on.

What is NRE?

I bet those prices come way down once someone actually wants to do it. Hell the retail price of our batteries is over 60% off in some cases online right now (google chevy part # 23348215). It was $12k-$14k and now is down to $4500 which is not all that unreasonable.

Back