LED Headlight Modification

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMMan

I have had good success with LED's in a few of my old cars with Halogens and the output has been exceptional so I decided to give the Spark an upgrade.I have had great success with the brand Hikari ( www.hikari-led.com ) on my previous cars, specifically the Spark EV needs the H13 base here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKCNPD1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wmFnDbQAR3C5V .

Now let me tell you why Hikari bulbs win: They have an ADJUSTABLE BASE in which the bulb can rotate inside the housing. I was literally able to plug everything up and spin the bulb while watching the pattern change on the garage door. Because of this I was able to fine tune the cutoff to match the stock bulbs.

Ok, so I tried to take pictures of before and after in the same positions on the same night. Since all I have is my cell phone camera it was tricky to get pictures of what I was actually seeing, so hopefully this means something to you!

My review:
- Beam pattern is good. An even spread of light on the road.
- Field of light coverage is wider with the LEDs, they illuminate farther to the sides and lower in front of the car. Even though they use the same housing, I'm assuming the intensity and higher lumen count adds the extra range in each direction.
- Cutoff is soft. The light has a general fuzzy cutoff of light, the stock bulb might have even been sharper.
- Lumen count is MUCH higher than OEM halogen. Reflective road lane paint and road signs lit up much brighter and farther out than halogens. this is probably my favorite benefit of LED.
- The lights have mini fans for cooling that are barely audible but there, just an observation.
- No flicker resistor required! Some American brands flicker when replaced and require an additional resistor relay in place.
- Color temperature looks about 6000k, mostly pure white. This is a preference really, science proves 4300k is the perfect headlight color but suffice it to say these are much "whiter" than halogens.
- 2 Year no questions warranty!
- Should NEVER have to replace these. Any car I've had with halogens might go 1-3 years depending. I HATE when a bulb goes out at night and you're down to relying on a single headlamp. These LEDs should honestly last longer than I will keep this car.
- Standing in front of the car I don't see any glare, and against the garage there is no light bleeding above the line of site to blind oncoming drivers.

CAVEAT! (there had to be something right?) Since the housing is a single bulb design, I lost the high beams. Flicking them on I see the light does some kind of change but it is hardly different than the low beam pattern, certainly nothing like the OEM halogen high beam! But IMO the gain in low beam performance far outweighs the use of halogen high beams. YMMV.

5/5 buy these!

Beam tech H13. Perfect beam and you don't lose your high beam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073ZDLKT9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

ycdocs120 said:
Beam tech H13. Perfect beam and you don't lose your high beam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073ZDLKT9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
How can you say 'perfect beam' without some comparing photos?
You can do this in 10 minutes of swapping bulbs without moving the car.

I can't see how those large LED elements will create a proper Lo beam cut off pattern without a lot of 'spill' above the Lo beam cutoff.
I tried a few brands of LED's and they were all bad for oncoming drivers.

Try one each in the Spark and have someone drive it for you while you drive in an oncoming car, especially in traffic where you can compare good patterns from cheap LED replacement bulbs.

Back