Square Setup for Aftermarket Wheels

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cichaelmhan

Hi,
Looking to buy aftermarket wheels in a square set up for my 2015. I've read the threads on here about others buying new wheels, and the main concern I have is if the ones I'm looking at will clear the front brake calipers. So far I haven't seen anyone use 15x6.5 et42 or 15x6.5 et40, so if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it greatly!

cichaelmhan said:
Hi,
Looking to buy aftermarket wheels in a square set up for my 2015. I've read the threads on here about others buying new wheels, and the main concern I have is if the ones I'm looking at will clear the front brake calipers. So far I haven't seen anyone use 15x6.5 et42 or 15x6.5 et40, so if anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it greatly!
any luck with the set up? looking into rims for my '16 but finding it tough to commit to a set not knowing they will fit.

jabe said:
any luck with the set up? looking into rims for my '16 but finding it tough to commit to a set not knowing they will fit.

I ended up going with 15 x 6.5 et 40 with the tires being 195/55/15 all around. So far its been amazing having a bit of extra grip in the front end compared to stock wheels, however I’ve noticed theres very slight rubbing when full lock on an extreme uphill angle. This has only happened once though, daily driving this set up has been great.

cichaelmhan said:
jabe said:

I ended up going with 15 x 6.5 et 40 with the tires being 195/55/15 all around. So far its been amazing having a bit of extra grip in the front end compared to stock wheels, however I’ve noticed theres very slight rubbing when full lock on an extreme uphill angle. This has only happened once though, daily driving this set up has been great.

thanks.. not 100% sure what you mean by "full lock on extreme uphill".
.this will make my hunting easier... still on winters on oem rims (yeah I know bad me...hardly been driving so not much wear on them but this heat ain't good for them..)...so may keep them as is and new rims my summer tires :)
jb

jabe said:
cichaelmhan said:
jabe said:

thanks.. not 100% sure what you mean by "full lock on extreme uphill".
.this will make my hunting easier... still on winters on oem rims (yeah I know bad me...hardly been driving so not much wear on them but this heat ain't good for them..)...so may keep them as is and new rims my summer tires :)
jb

Sorry, i meant like if you’re on a hill and going upwards at a steep angle and the steering wheel is fully on one side (full lock) there is slight rubbing.

cichaelmhan said:
Sorry, i meant like if you’re on a hill and going upwards at a steep angle and the steering wheel is fully on one side (full lock) there is slight rubbing.
thanks for clarification... made searching so much easier.
jb

I bought some 14 inch wheels for the winter. One cool thing is the later model Volkswagens (1995 etc) use the same four bolt spacing and pattern. I ended up buying some old used VW wheels on Craigslist. Being able to test fitment in someones driveway is preferred though but seeing old VW wheels are hard to get rid of you might find a flexible/patient seller.

This site was invaluable for cross-reference and getting all the important numbers.

https://www.wheel-size.com/

SmokeyPete said:
I bought some 14 inch wheels for the winter. ...
Being able to test fitment in someones driveway is preferred ...
The offset is the big deal to clear the calipers.
Are you saying you don't have a Spark EV?
The stock wheels have different offsets front and rear.
Try those bare wheels on the front and rear and let us know.
I'd like to have a set of skinny winter tires on steelies!

What wheels did you get? I'm currently looking for new wheels at 4WheelOnline that I'll be using with my set of winter tires. Any suggestions?

bertravel said:
What wheels did you get? I'm currently looking for new wheels at 4WheelOnline that I'll be using with my set of winter tires. Any suggestions?

The wheels I ended up going with were DAI Alloys Pilot! They have been amazing for the price ($109 CAD) and have had no issues with rubbing at all. They’re 15x6.5 et 40 and needed hubcentric rings but other than that they fit great. The extra 0.5in of width did decrease range slightly (although having all seasons probably didn’t help either) but the grip has been great!

I bought a set of mini cooper s type rims 16x6 1/2. Unfortunately I got in an accident and totalled the spark before mounting them. If you're in Southern California and interested let me know
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/wto/d/escondido-mini-cooper-wheels-tires-16x65/7282690984.html
Thanks
Doug

Back