Sonic EV to cannibalize Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureFolly

The latest leaks about the 2017 Sonic EV indicate that it will replace the Spark EV, not complement it as the gasoline versions do. The Sonic EV will be based on the new platform, which will help it stay competitive with the Leaf. The two big unknowns that I'm most interested are weight and price. The Spark EV is competitive because of its excellent range and its price. These points can't be compromised if the car will ever work nationally. The combination of the low-gear ratio motor and the relatively low weight car help it beat EPA numbers more easily than most EVs. A heavier car will require more gearing and more power to accelerate. This will either require more batteries or less range.

The size increase will broaden its appeal on the national level though. Increased price is only a major resistance factor to growth if customers don't see increased value. The new platform may be high enough quality to deserve a higher price. The Sonic EV will most likely offer multiple battery packs to justify a low entry price and an increased range model, just like the next Nissan Leaf. The low cost one will be the Spark EV spiritual replacement, but I hope it doesn't lose its character.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1094921_2017-chevrolet-sonic-ev-more-electric-car-details-trickle-out

Here are the size differences between the gasser Sonic and gasser Spark. They are both built on the Gamma II platform however the Sonic is considerably wider and longer.
Current and announced vehicles based on Gamma II (GSV) platform:
2010 Chevrolet Spark, Holden Barina Spark
2010 next generation Chevrolet Sail[5]
2011 Chevrolet Aveo/Sonic, Holden Barina
2011 Chevrolet Cobalt
2012 Opel/Vauxhall Mokka, Buick Encore
2012 Chevrolet Spin
2013 Chevrolet Onix
2013 Chevrolet Prisma mkII
2013 Chevrolet/Holden Trax[
2013 Buick Encore

Exterior Dimensions Sonic sedan
Wheelbase (mm / in.) 2525 / 99.4
Overall length (mm / in.) 4397 / 173.1
Overall width (mm / in.) 1735 / 68.3
Overall height (mm / in.) 1517 / 59.7
Track (mm / in.) front: 1509 / 59.4
rear: 1509 / 59.4
Curb weight, estimated (kg / lb.)- with manual transmission 1237 / 2727 (LS)
1245 / 2745 (LT)
1273 / 2807 (LTZ)
Interior Dimensions
Headroom (mm / in.) front: 982 / 38.7
rear: 961 / 37.8
Legroom (mm / in.) front: 1062 / 41.8
rear: 881 / 34.7
Shoulder room (mm / in.) front: 1358 / 53.5
rear: 1347 / 53.0
Hip room (mm / in.) front: 1306 / 51.4
rear: 1311 / 51.6
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 3
Passenger volume (L / cu.ft.): 2556 / 90.3
Cargo volume (L / cu. ft.): 422 / 14.9
Trailer towing maximum: (kg / lb.) Towing not recommended
Fuel tank: (L / imp. gal.) 46 / 10.1

Vs. the Spark

Exterior Dimensions 5-door
Wheelbase (mm / in.) 2375 / 93.5
Overall length (mm / in.) 3675 / 144.7
Overall width (mm / in.) 1598 / 62.9
Overall height (mm / in.) 1549 / 61.0
Track (mm / in.) front: 1415 / 55.7
rear: 1410 / 55.5
Curb weight, estimated (kg / lb.) 1029 / 2269 (LS manual)
1074 / 2368 (LS automatic)
Headroom (mm / in.) front: 1001 / 39.4
rear: 947 / 37.3
Legroom (mm / in.) front: 1067 / 42.0
rear: 894 / 35.2
Shoulder room (mm / in.) front: 1288 / 50.7
rear: 1262 / 49.7
Hip room (mm / in.) front: 1219 / 48.0
rear: 1206 / 47.5
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 2
Passenger volume (L / cu.ft.): 2444 / 86.3
Cargo volume (L / cu. ft.): 322.8 / 11.4 (rear seat up)
883.6 / 31.2 (rear seat folded)
Trailer towing maximum: (kg / lb.) Towing not recommended
Fuel tank: (L / imp. gal.) 34.8 / 9.2

The EV power train was designed for a larger car than the Spark. The EV was assigned to the Spark at the last minute.

Test mules for EV development were similar to the Sonic.

I do not know why Chevy switched last minute, but my assumption is that less money is lost selling a spark ev than a sonic ev, or it the spark ev was a less a threat to other GM ICE models.

The major benefits of the Spark over the Sonic was definitely cost, but also weight. The next-generation Sonic might see a significant weight drop, but with current technology a Sonic EV might weigh as much as the Nissan Leaf with less space and probably less range.

The better range and lower price probably sold more Spark EVs than the smaller size and cheaper materials cost GM. The Spark EV will probably see a major price drop soon, just to stay viable against the most recent round of EV price cuts. It's a little hard to sell someone on the Spark over the better equipped competition unless they need the range or they need to save as much as possible. I had hopes for national Spark or Sonic EV sales, but even higher losses on each unit make that less likely. To be fair, lower oil prices might also be affecting GM's strategy. I've always said having the excellent technology is more important than funding loses on vehicles.

The powertrain was definitely engineered for a much larger vehicle though. I could see this motor powering anything up to the size of a Tahoe without a problem. The high torque and compact size make it essentially applicable to any axle of any platform GM has. The architecture could very well become GM's EV equivalent to their Chevy-Small Block.

Will anyone miss the Spark EV over the Sonic EV if it's a one-generation vehicle?

FutureFolly said:
Will anyone miss the Spark EV over the Sonic EV if it's a one-generation vehicle?
I probably will. My wife and I both really enjoy driving small cars (and seeing how much stuff we can still fit in one!) We've been able to park our Spark EV in places we could never do in a larger car.

iletric said:
Isn't Sonic designated to be the 200-mile competitor to Tesla Model III?

GM may portray that, much like BMW alluded to their i3 being competition for Tesla. Neither are, or will be.

Tesla will make a Model Y, that should be closer in "stature" to a Sonic EV. Sonic EV should compete with a Nissan LEAF with 150 mile range option and a future Kia Soul EV (I presume they will up their game to 150 miles).

buickanddeere said:
I'm hesitant to drive a small vehicle in a snow storm on roads with full sized cars, pickup trucks, buses and semi's.
It's all in the tires. If you've got a good set of winter tires on, you'll be fine. I always have been.

Does anyone here actually doubt the Spark EV is going to be discontinued in 2016?

Everyone seemed to read this as a Sonic EV discussion, but I intended it to be about the end of the Spark EV and what that means for GMs EV program.

FutureFolly said:
Does anyone here actually doubt the Spark EV is going to be discontinued in 2016?

I have no doubts it is true, and once they do stop making the Spark EV Jay Leno will be even more anxious to buy mine. (he says, tongue in cheek)

No worries here, I have one and I can only drive one car at a time.

If the Opel Karl EV launches for Europe, the chances of the Spark EV surviving in the US are at least 25%. If they can make money selling a 200 mile EV by 2017, they should be able to make money selling a 100 mile EV by then too.

I think the biggest factor will be the Spark EV's success in other CARB markets. How long they sit on dealer lots will be the metric GM is watching the most closely.

DC-FC infrastructure will also be a big factor in whether GM thinks the Spark EV will be successful. If an inability to charge is holding back a lot of urban buyers, GM may wait to put two BEVs in their lineup.

Being more ideally suited for urban use, the Spark EV won't need to compete against the Bolt's range if it improves to around 100 miles.

With a better interior the appeal could be widened quite a bit as well. It still won't be a Leaf, but it can't be worse than the existing Spark EV that already is a great car.

http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-spark-ev-available-ontario-quebec-b-c-canada/

"The company also has yet to announce when the 2016 Spark EV will be available in either country, as it will not be getting the new model refresh that its petrol brother will receive next year."

"Instead the ‘old’ Spark EV will be produced simultaneously with the ‘new’ standard spark; at least for a little while, as a GM spokesperson alluded to InsideEVs from the New York Auto Show this past month."

"“The Spark EV will continue on the current generation Spark platform until its already scheduled end of production. We will not provide any additional details on timing of a replacement at this time.”"

brunoylupe said:
Previous author suggests the 2014 Spark EV will be a collectible.
Presumably like Apple watch.
The way I see it, unless EVs can get a new lease on life by being supported by newer (meaning bigger) batteries by the auto makers (that so far pretty much dislike the idea) no one will be inclined to hold on to them due to their built-in obsolescence, and trashed resale value.

I lease these things until we have a stable several hundred mile range, i.e. a real car that can travel distance. I will most likely lease even Model 3, and not buy. And with Tesla one is in good hands in terms of willingness to sell me updated battery.

iletric said:
brunoylupe said:
Previous author suggests the 2014 Spark EV will be a collectible.
Presumably like Apple watch.
The way I see it, unless EVs can get a new lease on life by being supported by newer (meaning bigger) batteries by the auto makers (that so far pretty much dislike the idea) no one will be inclined to hold on to them due to their built-in obsolescence, and trashed resale value.

I lease these things until we have a stable several hundred mile range, i.e. a real car that can travel distance. I will most likely lease even Model 3, and not buy. And with Tesla one is in good hands in terms of willingness to sell me updated battery.

All it takes is battery swap....I'd lease the battery after a certain number of years and not have to pay for the car. Problem solved.

In my mind , it all comes down to price and range .

We have a 2015 Sonic we bought last June with 15,000 + miles on it . I hope , when we wear it out , a Sonic EV is an option we can consider .

So far , we like the Sonic and with $ 2 gasoline , fuel costs are not an urgent matter .

God bless
Wyr

May be wrong , but I do not think so ?

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

I think the Bolt is larger , longer range battery & has an Internal Combustion Engine as a range extender .

Is 2016 the last year for the Spark EV ? That is what I got from the discussion .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
....I think the Bolt is larger , longer range battery & has an Internal Combustion Engine as a range extender .
Wyr
Wyr, Do your home work before posting. The Bolt is coming out later this year. It is a +200 mile BEV. The Spark EV is a 82 mile rated BEV.

Back