SparkevBlogspot

Re: Sonic EV to cannibalize Spark EV?

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:31 am

If you just want to try the car before you buy, you can rent SparkEV for 2 hours at a time for free in Santa Monica. You can even get eVgo's flex plan (one time fee of $5) and try out DCFC (about $10/session). It might make for a good excuse to visit Los Angeles. ;-)

https://www.waivecar.com/

WyrTwister

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:31 am

Honestly , that suggestion makes a lot of sense . :-)

Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A . :-(

Say I fell in love with it , and bought one . And , according to plugshare.com , once you head east from SoCal , the next fast charge station is in Albuquerque .

I would have no way to get it home , except tow it .

I question whether our Sonic has the weight or the ponies to do the job . And , it has an automatic transmission . I would hate to fry the tranny , towing a Spark EV . Especially through the desert .

So , I do really appreciate your very sensible advice and information . It just so happens it does not work out very well in my case .

Now , if we were talking about a car that had an ICE range extender engine , it would be a different situation .

Thank you , :-)
Wyr
God bless

MrDRMorgan

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:46 pm

WyrTwister wrote:Honestly , that suggestion makes a lot of sense . :-)

Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A . :-(

Say I fell in love with it , and bought one . And , according to plugshare.com , once you head east from SoCal , the next fast charge station is in Albuquerque .

I would have no way to get it home , except tow it .

I question whether our Sonic has the weight or the ponies to do the job . And , it has an automatic transmission . I would hate to fry the tranny , towing a Spark EV . Especially through the desert .

So , I do really appreciate your very sensible advice and information . It just so happens it does not work out very well in my case .

Now , if we were talking about a car that had an ICE range extender engine , it would be a different situation .

Thank you , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Chevy Volt! Check out this article: http://www.greencarreports.com/sponsore ... MBoHA3ScKA

Neon

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Have you thought of shipping it? Would be a few hundred dollars I'd guess. When I bought mine somebody was doing just that.

SparkevBlogspot

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:19 pm

WyrTwister wrote:Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A
I'm assuming you live in areas without much DCFC. If so, SparkEV isn't all that great. It's got terrific acceleration for the money, but the range of 80 miles (or about 35 miles from home) will be severely limiting, especially if you live in areas without much traffic.

Traffic slowdowns make SparkEV whole lot better. That's why I get 5.2 mi/kWh battery to wheels on average after 10,000 miles of driving. That's about 150 MPGe just going by energy efficiency, not going by money out of pocket. If I'm stuck in LA traffic, that gets whole lot better, sometimes approaching 200 MPGe. (LA traffic SUCKS!)

If you need something now, the new Chevy Volt will be your best bet. 2017 Volt is even quicker than SparkEV, though lot more expensive. But for me, no more hybrids (aka, something with gas engine + electric)! Prius really burned me.

WyrTwister

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 pm

[/quote]
Chevy Volt! Check out this article: http://www.greencarreports.com/sponsore ... MBoHA3ScKA[/quote]

I am way too cheap and the Volt is way too much money . And on a limited income ( semi-retired ) which will get smaller when I fully retire .

But , Thanks for the info & suggestion . :-)

Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister

Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Neon wrote:Have you thought of shipping it? Would be a few hundred dollars I'd guess. When I bought mine somebody was doing just that.
Thought of it , but figured it would be cost prohibitive ?

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:15 pm

SparkevBlogspot wrote:
WyrTwister wrote:Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A
I'm assuming you live in areas without much DCFC. If so, SparkEV isn't all that great. It's got terrific acceleration for the money, but the range of 80 miles (or about 35 miles from home) will be severely limiting, especially if you live in areas without much traffic.

Traffic slowdowns make SparkEV whole lot better. That's why I get 5.2 mi/kWh battery to wheels on average after 10,000 miles of driving. That's about 150 MPGe just going by energy efficiency, not going by money out of pocket. If I'm stuck in LA traffic, that gets whole lot better, sometimes approaching 200 MPGe. (LA traffic SUCKS!)

If you need something now, the new Chevy Volt will be your best bet. 2017 Volt is even quicker than SparkEV, though lot more expensive. But for me, no more hybrids (aka, something with gas engine + electric)! Prius really burned me.
There are zero DCFC stations in 35 - 45 miles . Two public charge stations inside 10 miles . And two between the 10 mile and 35 - 45 mile distance . In different directions . I am guessing that all the public charging stations are Level 2 if they are not designated as DCFC ( on plugshare.com ) ?

So , yes , not the best location for a 80 mile EV . Would strictly be an in town car . The upcoming Bolt is suppose to do 200 miles . That would be a mostly an in town car , for us . Most of the out of town destinations , for us , are a minimum of 2 - 2-1/2 hours away and no DCFC when you get there .

We have family about 6 - 7 hours away and only one DCFC when you get there . 9 - 10 hours away and the first DCFC's 6 hours away then some DCFC stations when you get there . And a few more in between , if you go out of the way .

To my knowledge , Chevy dealers in my state can not get Spark EV's & Volts , new . And , really , for good reason , unless you lived in the major metropolitan areas . Very little infrastructure to support them .

Traffic gets worse every year , but nothing like you have . If it was , I would seriously consider moving .

I do not NEED a second vehicle , our red Sonic is OK & hope to get 6 - 8 years out of it . So , I certainly do not NEED an EV . Just curious and to be honest , might consider buying one , if situations were different .

When I need a car , again , I would not have a big problem with a Prius , for the right price . Or a plug in Hybrid . Or something like a Volt with a ICE range extender . But all , for the right price .

Another issue I have not addressed , I am not sure if my Wifey would be OK with plugging & un-plugging a car , before and after every trip ? As it is , we ( mostly me ) usually fill the Sonic up every week for less than $ 20 . The rest of the time , she just gets in and goes , with a occasional glance at the gas gauge .

What kind of problem did you have with a Prius ? I have in town cousins that have had one for several years ( since the cash for cars ) and they seem happy with it ?

God bless
Wyr

SparkevBlogspot

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:25 am

If there's no Volt nor SparkEV available in dealers in your area, you probably shouldn't get one, even shipped. If anything should go wrong and you need service, you may have to ship the car again. That could add thousands of dollars, wiping out any potential savings.

SparkEV isn't like a golf cart where batteries are readily available and any joe with a wrench could "fix". Almost 400 volt batteries could kill you and the extensive liquid cooling in battery/electronics with special coolant and sophisticated software makes service all but impossible outside of dealers.

I think the best for you is to just wait until EV are available in your area. Without dealer service and DCFC, you'll end up hating EV if you get it now. It can be done as some have, but it is a huge risk I wouldn't take, especially if on retirement income.

WyrTwister

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:58 am

Lack of dealership support is a very valid concern . I honestly appreciate you bringing it up . Thank you . :-)

I have been in the electrical field , one way or another since Hector was a pup . :-)

I have dealt with 480 VAC for pretty much that whole time , again , off & on . I respect electricity , but treat is as other risked , to be managed . Not feared .

Two of the coolants for a Spark EV are DEX-COOL . Same as the engine coolant in our Chevy Sonic . Have not determined id DEX-COOL is used for the battery ?

Honestly the electronics and their software / firmware would worry me more . Difficult to shade tree that . :-(

Does any one know if the Bolt will be cheaper than the Volt . Will it be distributed in all 50 states ? Or just a few , like the Volt and Spark EV ?

As far as dealers , again , as long as the vehicle is in warranty , I look at it as , if the local dealer can not work on it , it is GM's problem to make whatever arrangements needed to get the work accomplished . I also realize , it may not work out that way , real world . At least , not the first try . But I would not hesitate to contact GM's corporate customer service / satisfaction department .

You are 100% correct , my location is not prime territory for EV's of any make or model . I am just exploring interesting ideas & products . Until I fully retire and loose the use of the company truck , we have no real need for a second vehicle . Gasoline or EV .

Thanks again , :-)

Wyr
God bless

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”