200 Mile Chevy Bolt EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they've changed their mind about using the Sonic. I don't fit in it. :) Plus, Tesla should give up something that is far better looking, one would hope.

Underwhelmed, so far:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevrolet-bolt-ev-concept/#image-1

I realize it's a concept car but I'd be more impressed if they had DCFC instead of a goofy glass roof.

I realize it's a concept car but I'd be more impressed if they had DCFC instead of a goofy glass roof.

The article I saw said DCFC would be there. The pic of the charging port didn't show the DCFC pins, though. Since the Spark has it, I think it's safe to assume the Bolt will as well, at least as an option

This is a concept car. The real thing is about 2 years out, and I'd be shocked if the glass roof was there. It's typical concept-car fluff, along with the interior layout, which will be much more conventional in the real car.

I'm hoping that in the next couple of years the economics work out for them to sell this as more than a limited-numbers compliance car, but even so I'm glad I live where I'll have that option. I'm also hoping it comes out before my current lease ends in late '16.

Any argument for/against waiting for the Bolt versus leasing/buying the Spark EV? As in, "I wonder what resale value will be like for an 82 mile car when 200 mile cars come out...?".

Any argument for/against waiting for the Bolt versus leasing/buying the Spark EV? As in, "I wonder what resale value will be like for an 82 mile car when 200 mile cars come out...?".

ezryder,
I think you have to ask yourself, "How much value is it to me to have a really fun ride for a couple of years while I wait for the Bolt?" (plus all the other dry, grown-up questions about length of commute and such)

I'm so glad I found out about SparkEVs early in their production. I've had so much fun driving this car, I could care less about its resale value. (That's easy for me to say since I was able to take advantage of the full federal tax credit and CA rebate.) I love driving this car so much, I find driving other cars sluggish and disappointing. I'd have trouble living without this car even for a week. :)

Well, you answered exactly how I'd like to think I would have. lol It's SO tempting... I will probably go for it. With insurance and DMV fees and a lease and (little) maintenance, (and as little down as possible - $500, perhaps), I'm thinking this fun toy will cost me about $300/mo. With gas prices the way they are now, my PG&E bill will probably be not much less than gas. I have a paid off Mercedes C230 Kompressor 3-door hatchback, which is a fun car, too. So, I don't "need" the EV. I "want" the EV. lol My decision may have to come down to whether my landlady will let me install a 240V plug on the outside of her garage. She's highly resistant. It's maddening! I'm literally looking for a new place to live; one that will let me plug-in!

The other thing is, who knows if the Bolt will be as fun? And maybe, like the Volt, I'll be sitting in the back seat to drive it and looking at a door jamb when I turn to my left to look out the window?

And that whole OTHER justification: You only live once! lol

Tortured.

SparkieVee said:

The article I saw said DCFC would be there. The pic of the charging port didn't show the DCFC pins, though. Since the Spark has it, I think it's safe to assume the Bolt will as well, at least as an option

This is a concept car. The real thing is about 2 years out, and I'd be shocked if the glass roof was there. It's typical concept-car fluff, along with the interior layout, which will be much more conventional in the real car.

I'm hoping that in the next couple of years the economics work out for them to sell this as more than a limited-numbers compliance car, but even so I'm glad I live where I'll have that option. I'm also hoping it comes out before my current lease ends in late '16.

Which is why I started my sentence with, "I realize it's a concept car". I'll take pragmatic progress, like a dual-port charging, over silly eye candy, please. It's like those World's Fair show cars of the sixties where they had bubble canopies. Here, sit under this magnifying glass.

Years ago, I saw the introduction tour of the then new Buick Reatta at the Saint Francis Yacht Club. I commented to one of the engineers that it had a huge, flat rear window that would be a real solar heat gain. He replied they were thinking about having a matrix in the rear window. I just looked at him and said, "You're thinking about it?".

Car and Driver clarifies it's not a $30K car; that's after the Federal Tax Credit, it's a $38,000 car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-concept-photos-and-info-news

ezryder said:
Affordable "200 mile" car or not, this is EXACTLY why so many people lease BEVs instead of buying them.

Besides my unusual living situation, which will change, I figured how will a 75 mile EPA rated Leaf (mine's a '13 Leaf w/that rating, a '14 Leaf w/o any changes other than removal of charge to 80% option is 84 miles) w/a degraded battery will look to used car buyers vs. something w/more range (whatever that is), new at a similar price or possibly available w/an affordable lease? Even if GM or whoever (e.g. Nissan or Tesla) can't pull off a 200-mile BEV w/sort of pricing in the next few years, you figure there will be incremental improvements.

NomadMac said:
Car and Driver clarifies it's not a $30K car; that's after the Federal Tax Credit, it's a $38,000 car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-concept-photos-and-info-news

Yeah, that was a downshift—for the first couple of days' news, it was $5,000 less than the forthcoming Tesla Model 3.

And, I missed if there was anything on horsepower. We shall see.

At any rate, with the fast-moving nature of tech development these days, when the Bolt comes to market, there will be a [$25000] ev on the horizon that will get 300+ miles per charge. The time to drink is when you're thirsty. (not to mention, there's no absolute guarantee the fed and state credits will remain the same forever)

First Gen EVs are now priced where they should have been priced to start with. Second generation EVs will either be priced like the first generation without the limitations or priced competitively in the market.

Lots of people can afford a $30K EV after tax credits. The lack of functionality and versatility kept a lot of potential buyers from making the switch.

-EVs will become the default vehicle of long distance commuters
-Charging infrastructure will be widely dispersed and matched to market
-DC-FC will be optional on all EV and standard on most
-Battery longevity won't be as heavily questioned

Resale values for the Spark EV should be decents(after tax credits) because their won't be many EVs that undercut it in the used market.

I ended up leasing a Spark EV. LOVE IT! I'm half thinking I should have bought, though. I can envision a scenario where the Bolt and a few other EV's hit the market at the same time and supply will not be able to meet demand. There will be an EV buying frenzy, and the infrastructure will be in a much better position to allay range anxiety. I think the Spark becomes a more viable option, is what I'm saying, in 3 years. I think this will keep the price high for a used Spark, since it will be much cheaper than a new 200-mile EV. So, I guess the good news is that I can buy the car atr the residual price and they can't, as far as I know, demand more than the residual value. Need to check that...

So, I can buy the Spark at residual or spend almost twice as much for a Bolt, after tax incentives. Or just lease again...

I really want the Volt, Spark, and Bolt to be in all 50 states at the same time just to shut up everyone that complains about GM not really being committed to EVs. With a $10K+ price difference the Spark EV wouldn't be much threat to the Bolt.

Back