Anyone try the VW eGolf?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no EV yet, but the difference between a Golf and Spark is HUGE amount of space.
So size wise it is like driving a regular Golf from what I have heard.

There is a forum for all the other EV's on here MyElectricCarForums.com . Some of us are on the other forums too.
They seem to like it :)

I've looked at both (but didn't drive the e-Golf). As stated, the e-Golf has a lot more room - I had to slide the driver's seat forward from the aft stop to position it correctly for me, whereas every Asian car I've driven or owned for the past 27 years has been at the aftmost position, with me wishing for more (34" inseam). Cargo space with the seats up is also greater. The Spark has just enough legroom in front for me, especially given that you can't drive it for more than an hour or so non-stop, and cruise control helps. But I wouldn't want to put any adult or teenage child directly behind me for more than a few minutes in the Spark, while the e-Golf wasn't a problem - my knees weren't touching the front of the seat nor did I need to splay them out; in the Spark they were touching even with my knees splayed out, in fact they were making solid contact.

The e-Golf definitely has a more upscale feel, and will be appreciated by those who, like me, prefer standard analog gauges and real switches instead of touch-sensitive screens that require you to take your eyes off the road to adjust the HVAC system or similar. In short, it's a typical no-digital nonsense European car. Of course, the Spark also has three dial HVAC controls, so call that a wash. Judging by reviews, the e-Golf also has the best overall driving qualities of the affordable BEVs, although the Spark is faster. And Tony Williams drove an e-Golf on his standardized test (62 mph cruise control, no wind, ideal conditions) for 100 miles, slightly exceeding the 2014 Spark EV's range on the same test; the 2015 Spark, with the smaller battery and shorter gear ratio, only managed 89 miles during the same test, done simultaneously.

It's really just a question of what you're after and what you value. If you just want the smallest, lowest cost commuter that you will normally not need to carry more than one other person and some stuff, the Spark's good. But if you routinely have to haul people in the back, or lots of stuff, then the VW is the way to go, and it's also more refined. And for a good middle ground (if it's available in your neck of the woods at the moment) I like the Kia Soul EV, which had about 1 mile more range than the e-Golf on Tony's test, costs about the same, and isn't as boring looking as the e-Golf, for those who care. Hard to go wrong with any of them, I think. Edit: Although VW's Car-Net seems to be really buggy and hard to use. Whether that's just initial teething problems or a long-term issue remains to be seen, but there are a lot of complaints about it on the e-Golf forum. 2nd Edit:Oh, I prefer cloth seats to leather or vinyl, so the Spark 1LT beats out the e-Golf on that score. Of course, seat covers are available.

I tried the e-Golf. Nice car, for sure, but..."boring". I also felt like I was sitting in the backseat. I hated the touch screen info center on the dash. But, outside of that, it was a great ride, good handling, comfortable. I just felt like when I got out of the car I was getting out of the back seat of a 2-door car. But that's me.

ezryder said:
I tried the e-Golf. Nice car, for sure, but..."boring". I also felt like I was sitting in the backseat. I hated the touch screen info center on the dash. But, outside of that, it was a great ride, good handling, comfortable. I just felt like when I got out of the car I was getting out of the back seat of a 2-door car. But that's me.
As my previous post indicates I'm no fan of touch screens either, but I'm generally more concerned with HVAC controls than entertainment systems, which I can always take more time to use. However, an actual push/twist on/off/volume switch is a must for me, whatever other digital silliness is included.

Re boring looks, we agree on the e-Golf, but I long ago decided that how well I could see out of a car while in it (and how intuitively all the controls worked) was more important to me than how it looked to me from outside, as I spend far more time sitting inside the car using it than looking at it from outside. I'm not trying to impress anyone with how my car looks - I've been driving Subarus since 1988! Still, assuming AOTBE I'd go for the Soul (which I haven't driven or looked at), because I really don't want another dull-colored car - three silver-metallic cars in a row is enough, and it's not as if I'd need visual stealth so I can speed - current limited-range BEVs provide incentive not to do so.

I tried the Soul EV today. If you're not over 6'2", it's a great car, though it's noticeably slower that all the other EV's I've tried. Also, my arm hits air and not armrest. Deal breaker for me. The Spark EV hits armrest. I borrowed one (Spark EV) from a dealer today for two hours - had a great time with it! LOVE the gauges. Love the touch screen. It's perfect. My main complaint is that the cup-holder digs into my calf after awhile. I can probably work around that.

ezryder said:
I tried the Soul EV today. If you're not over 6'2", it's a great car, though it's noticeably slower that all the other EV's I've tried. Also, my arm hits air and not armrest. Deal breaker for me. The Spark EV hits armrest. I borrowed one (Spark EV) from a dealer today for two hours - had a great time with it! LOVE the gauges. Love the touch screen. It's perfect. My main complaint is that the cup-holder digs into my calf after awhile. I can probably work around that.
On both of the Subies I've owned, I got the optional extended (taller) center armrest/cubbyhole, to raise it to a position where my arm can naturally rest on it. As for the left arm, the first one seemed to be okay at the top of the door (base of the window), and the current one has an armrest on the door that sits about right. Not sure if my driving position has changed or what. It is those little ergonomic details that can make or break a car sale, for people who

a. are aware of them and know they'd be bothered by them, and

b. plan to keep the car for awhile.

Back