2018 Opel Karl EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureFolly

The Opel Karl is the higher end German version of the Chevy Spark that is sold in Europe. Reports are that the Karl will get an EV version in 2018 with a 150 km/93 mi range. Hopefully they aren't talking NEDC 150 km, but the Karl EV might be priced and timed perfectly to take advantage of fast growing DC-FC infrastructure.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/opel-to-bring-karl-ev-to-market-reports-say/

The other interesting speculation is whether a market launch in Europe of the Karl EV will mean the Spark EV in the US will survive. The Bolt and Spark EV wouldn't compete much in price or customer, which makes me think it might happen.

If the Bolt doesn't offer optional battery pack sizes, they may miss the $37,500 price point or the 200 mile range target substantially. If they can't deliver a good compromise having a second battery vehicle and a third EV to capture a wider market might make sense for them. The crap i-MiEV can't be allowed to own the bottom of the market.

The Volt/Ampera is being phased out so the Spark/Karl EV will be GM's only electrified vehicle in Europe.

Why is GM's plan not to badge the Bolt as an Opel? Why do they think a 150km city car will be more successful than a 300 km subcompact CUV? Will any markets get both the Spark/Karl EV and the Bolt? Why is Opel already committed to an EV of an ICE car they haven't even started selling in Europe, when they could electrify any car in their lineup just as easily?

Of all the scenarios I considered in the past, I never thought GM's compliance car would continue its life as Europes only GM EV, while only the US gets a stand-alone, long range EV built on the Sonic platform. Not losing money seems to be GMs only goal for Opel/Vauxhall, yet only manufacturing a few thousand Karl EVs a year for the European market will be very difficult to do profitably. Even with a higher price and fewer sales, the Bolt should be easier for GM Europe to make money on.

Europe's carbon regulations don't favor a fleet of guzzlers and super sippers. It's basically a continent of sippers and super sippers at this point. Stuffing the deck with EVs won't help them much. The standards are already too high.

The 2016 Opel Karl premiered at the Geneva Auto Show. Opel had an introduction video that is worth watching as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/04/opel-karl-geneva-2015/

The Karl looks surprisingly nice. I hope this ends up being a fully international model because the interior blows the current Spark away. I'm optimistic because the Karl will start at 10,000 Euros, which is almost the same price as the Spark in the US. Germany will start getting deliveries in June, so I wonder when we will get the start getting 2016 Spark.

Having seen what the next Spark should look like I'm thinking about holding out for a 2016 Spark EV. Hopefully the Spark EV even sees a model year 2016. They could easily stock up on ZEV credits and sell the 2015 Spark EVs for a few extra months next year. The platform hasn't been updated so hopefully the existing battery pack fits the new model.

If Buick imports the Opel Adam as a Fiat 500/Mini Cooper fighter as has been rumored, GM will have almost the same 3 vehicle, small car lineup in the US as they do in Europe. This is a huge shift from even ten years ago when GM imported subcompacts as fleet fillers with no commitment to small car market share or mind share.

Back