Solar Go Kart Race

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planerench

My children have participated twice in a solar go kart race held in May each year. I’ll keep you informed about this yesr’s effort. They took first place last year. www.gsrinc.org

Solar Go-Kart race time again! This year we will be attempting to raise enough money to switch to Lithium Ion Batteries, specifically two EarthX ETX900 batteries in series, and four 100W flexible solar panels. The team should have a facebook page up in a couple weeks to track progress. I'll post a link when they get there.

Here is the Gofundme link https://www.gofundme.com/helpZamperini . The kids are meeting for the second time this season today at 3:45. Solar power is all they are allowed to use to charge and race. They will be posting updates from time to time.

Planerench said:
Here is the Gofundme link https://www.gofundme.com/helpZamperini . The kids are meeting for the second time this season today at 3:45. Solar power is all they are allowed to use to charge and race. They will be posting updates from time to time.
What date(s) will the race be held and where?

MrDRMorgan said:
Planerench said:
It is held on May 31-June 1 on the campus of Boise State University.

The first night each team has to present their project with a PowerPoint to judges from industry and BSU faculty. This is half the total score. June 1 there is a relay race of sorts; four drivers have their lap times averaged to obtain a time. Last the best driver from each team executes his best hot lap and that time stands on its own. Last year our school ran two vehicles and placed 1st and 4th. This year the 1st place vehicle is being used for driver training and the 4th place vehicle is being torn to the frame for a complete refit. As time allows I could list the improvements.

This is a course that involves chicanes, hairpins, and sweeping curves with a few long straights. It is a really fun event with nail biting and surprises. This year we have thrown out nearly every component from the 4th place cart. The donated glass solar panel (49 Lbs, 320 Watts) is being replaced with four 100 Watt flexible panels (16 Lbs total). The sealed lead acid batteries are being replaced with Lithium Phosphate units from earthX. Peerless gear in Indiana supplies the differential. The list of parts is extensive but the end result should exceed the performance of our 1st place vehicle.

Planerench said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Planerench said:
It is held on May 31-June 1 on the campus of Boise State University.

The first night each team has to present their project with a PowerPoint to judges from industry and BSU faculty. This is half the total score. June 1 there is a relay race of sorts; four drivers have their lap times averaged to obtain a time. Last the best driver from each team executes his best hot lap and that time stands on its own. Last year our school ran two vehicles and placed 1st and 4th. This year the 1st place vehicle is being used for driver training and the 4th place vehicle is being torn to the frame for a complete refit. As time allows I could list the improvements.

This is a course that involves chicanes, hairpins, and sweeping curves with a few long straights. It is a really fun event with nail biting and surprises. This year we have thrown out nearly every component from the 4th place cart. The donated glass solar panel (49 Lbs, 320 Watts) is being replaced with four 100 Watt flexible panels (16 Lbs total). The sealed lead acid batteries are being replaced with Lithium Phosphate units from earthX. Peerless gear in Indiana supplies the differential. The list of parts is extensive but the end result should exceed the performance of our 1st place vehicle.
Thanks for the info. Please PM me with the details. My wife and I will be in Boise around noon on June 1 for our grandson's high school graduation on June 2. I would really like to see what the students are doing.

Received two earthX ETX900 lithium iron phosphate batteries for the solar vehicle! I pray they are as great as they are rated on paper!

Back