2017 LA Auto show (and California EV infrastructure)

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkE

Here's a link to the article : http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/suvs-main-attraction-la-auto-show-51470734

This paragraph caught my interest (I was surprised by the numbers) :

"California buyers purchase a higher percentage of hybrids and electrics than the U.S. as a whole thanks to state tax credits and other incentives. Nearly 50 percent of all U.S. electric vehicle purchases since 2011 have been in California, according to the International Council on Clean Transportation. California also has 31 percent of all U.S. public charging infrastructure for electric vehicles."

nikwax said:
How is the statement in the first sentence justified? is that based on research, or speculation?

There is more than one statement in the first sentence.

"California buyers purchase a higher percentage of hybrids and electrics than the U.S. as a whole" is true (a fact).

I don't know if "thanks to state tax credits and other incentives" is based on research, or speculation. Frankly, I don't care why other people buy EVs.

CA might have half the EVs, but they have an overwhelming majority of the Spark EVs.

For instance, the two major insurance auction chains currently have 13 totaled Spark EVs between them.
10 in California, 3 in Portland.

You'd think they'd show up in Baltimore, but I haven't seen a single one there in the last six months, although there was one in Pittsburgh last month.

SparkE said:
nikwax said:
How is the statement in the first sentence justified? is that based on research, or speculation?

There is more than one statement in the first sentence.

"California buyers purchase a higher percentage of hybrids and electrics than the U.S. as a whole" is true (a fact).

I don't know if "thanks to state tax credits and other incentives" is based on research, or speculation. Frankly, I don't care why other people buy EVs.

I’m sure tax credits play a part (between state and county, I got $5500 back, on top of the $7500 fed). But that glosses over one fact that was pointed out in that blurb, and omits another big reason.

One, as mentioned, California has better infrastructure than most other places. Nobody wants a car they cannot fuel. Home charging is not an option or is impractical for many city and apartment dwellers.

Two, many cars were built as compliance vehicles for western states. Hard to buy a car that is not readily available where you live.

I couldn’t say to what extent those two things affect reasons for buying, but I would guess they are close to the incentives in influence.

Back