RSC

Re: Spark or Bolt ?

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Yet another consideration that may apply living where you do is that the Spark EV doesn't have a lot of ground clearance. I don't have the figures, but from what I've observed, the Bolt is fairly good for an ordinary passenger car in that department.

I know this all sounds very negative for the Spark EV. The Spark EV just has to be in the right situation. I don't regret buying mine at the time I did and plan to hang on to it for now.

It would be interesting to hear what you decide to do and what your impressions are.
Ray
2015 Spark EV 1LT, DCFC

DWSG

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I’ve been on the hunt for a used 2017 bolt, there are a lot of good deals in LA area but not as good in nor cal and Reno area places won’t match Cali dealer prices , I tried to buy one, but then went through all the intro stuff with the dealer and he went “oh yeah we install a $795 alarm on all our cars “ so I said no deal based on principal. I know dealers do that, but No way I’m buying a car 400 miles away when dealer starts off with a bait and switch by listing a price online that they aren’t willing to sell it for.

@sparkE , I’m on day 3 of a diy battery reconditioning of my Prius from a company called hybrid automotive who sells a kit of a charger, discharger and harness that attaches to hv battery . Same thing the refurbisher people do. Hopefully it works :)

DWSG

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Has anyone dealt with la auto exchange or their sister companies (it looks like there is an umbrella company with like 5 different dealer names in la area ) or plug in autos in Pomona?

I drove a new 2020 bolt last week and thought it was awesome, the paddle shifter which increases regen so you don’t have to use brakes is pretty cool. Especially for mountain driving going downhill to be able to control speed better

Appears to be an active storm pattern next week or two so search is likely delayed

SparkE

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:12 pm

DWSG wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 pm
@sparkE , I’m on day 3 of a diy battery reconditioning of my Prius from a company called hybrid automotive who sells a kit of a charger, discharger and harness that attaches to hv battery . Same thing the refurbisher people do. Hopefully it works :)
Well, the "std", "traditional" Priuses had NiMH batteries. Some of the plug-in Priuses had NiMH and some had Li-Ion. The NiMH can benefit from a "recondition" cycling, the Li-Ion not so much. All that kit does is cycle the battery through several charge-discharge cycles. The other thing that the "refurbishers" (mechanics) do is identify any weak cells (lower capacity) and swap those out with higher capacity cells (which involves disassembling part of the car and at least part of the battery unit). The battery is only as good as the weakest cell. You should be able to look at the cell voltages and see if they are all the same using an OBD dongle/reader and an app on your cell phone. If they are all the same voltage when half empty or empty, then you don't have a weak cell. If you have a traditional Prius hybrid, you can drain the batteries by just getting on a road that allows you to drive 35-40 mph without stopping, let the gas engine turn off and use the electricity in your hybrid batteries (~ 1.5 kWh) to maintain speed.

If your Prius isn't the "plug-in" type, then that kit should help quite a bit. Using it every 2000-4000 miles should keep your NiMH battery "as good as it can be" (which isn't going to be 100%, based on its age).

Oh, and any BEV should be put on a trickle charger (for the 12V 'accessory' battery) once a month or so to insure good health for the lead-acid battery that "boots" your car's computer and runs all the accessories. Unless you routinely drive over an hour a day.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”