sparkyps

Re: 2015 Chevy Spark EV specifications

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:16 am

Any solid information on when the 2015's will be available?

nozferatu

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:33 pm

sparkyps wrote:Any solid information on when the 2015's will be available?
Given how auto makers release their vehicles I'd say late 2014...Sept/Oct maybe?

tigger19687

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:26 am

sparkyps wrote:Any solid information on when the 2015's will be available?
http://eogld.cloud.gm.com/dmdindex.htm

Go here and you can see what they are listing for "late model year". This web site will not let me copy/paste the long listing.
They are bringing Salsa and Lime :)

Chocula

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Faster 0 - 60 time of 7.2 seconds with less torque at 327 lbs / foot according to Chevrolet's website. I did not see any horse power ratings, but these numbers are probably due to the gear ratio change. The smaller battery pack may not be able to drive the motor as hard, be lower voltage, or limited to prevent excessive power consumption. Its also possible they are using a different motor, but that seems less likely.

nozferatu

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Chocula wrote:Faster 0 - 60 time of 7.2 seconds with less torque at 327 lbs / foot according to Chevrolet's website. I did not see any horse power ratings, but these numbers are probably due to the gear ratio change. The smaller battery pack may not be able to drive the motor as hard, be lower voltage, or limited to prevent excessive power consumption. Its also possible they are using a different motor, but that seems less likely.
I personally think our cars are already low 7 second cars. Better tires and less retarding of torque low down/off the line would even make them quicker. What I'd be disappointed with is the mid-range acceleration being less in the newer cars. Meaning...this current car hauls a%% from 25 on. I mean serious hauling. I've embarrassed some seriously quick cars to 75MPH.

And it keeps pulling well into top speed limiting.

The best way I've found to accelerate rapidly in this car off the line is to do partial throttle to about 10 MPH and then swiftly but smoothly apply 80-100% throttle there after. Slamming the pedal hurts performance. At certain speeds this thing is so rapid on pick up that its quite startling. Hope the new car doesn't lose this edge.

sv650john

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Hoping someone who knows the math can answer this for me.

I'm planning on getting a Spark EV but I occasionally have to drive from SD to LA (100 miles each way) all freeway, with a quick charge before I head back.

Should I get a 2014 now or wait for the 2015?

Which one would be better for an all-freeway run?
I understand the 2015 will have a smaller battery but the gearing is shorter(?) so I think the efficiency on the freeway might be improved(?) yielding more range or do I have that around the wrong way?

Nashco

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:51 pm

GM claims so far have said the range remains the same despite the vehicle changes (gearing, battery capacity, weight, tuning). Nobody has been able to test a 2015 yet to see how it fares in a real world test, so the jury is still out on that. If you think absolute maximum range is your highest priority, I would say you can't make any assumptions without seeing some actual test data...but once a 2015 is out and can be tested, that means any new 2014s are all gone!!!

Bryce

sv650john

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Nashco wrote:GM claims so far have said the range remains the same despite the vehicle changes (gearing, battery capacity, weight, tuning). Nobody has been able to test a 2015 yet to see how it fares in a real world test, so the jury is still out on that. If you think absolute maximum range is your highest priority, I would say you can't make any assumptions without seeing some actual test data...but once a 2015 is out and can be tested, that means any new 2014s are all gone!!!

Bryce

That's the dilemma I'm facing... there isn't any real data on whether the 2015 will offer any improvements.

Also I think the EPA range is based on 55mph "freeway" which doesn't translate to the real world 80+mph freeway speeds.

Just a guess, but I get the feeling that the GM engineers figured out how to make the Spark more efficient, and if they had stuck to the original 21kw battery they'd have a 100 mile range. But the beancounters decided to keep it at the same specs and instead save the money by putting in a cheaper battery.

kevin

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Also I think the EPA range is based on 55mph "freeway" which doesn't translate to the real world 80+mph freeway speeds.

Just a guess, but I get the feeling that the GM engineers figured out how to make the Spark more efficient, and if they had stuck to the original 21kw battery they'd have a 100 mile range. But the beancounters decided to keep it at the same specs and instead save the money by putting in a cheaper battery.[/quote]

The 2014 have about 18.8kWh of usable capacity. The only spec I have seen for the 2015 is that it is "19kWh". Since the range is the same it is quite probable that the usable capacity is the same.

kevin

nmikmik

Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 pm

sv650john wrote:Hoping someone who knows the math can answer this for me.

I'm planning on getting a Spark EV but I occasionally have to drive from SD to LA (100 miles each way) all freeway, with a quick charge before I head back.

Should I get a 2014 now or wait for the 2015?

Which one would be better for an all-freeway run?
I understand the 2015 will have a smaller battery but the gearing is shorter(?) so I think the efficiency on the freeway might be improved(?) yielding more range or do I have that around the wrong way?
It probably depends on how occasional is your LA trip. Couple of times a year, I'd take the Surfliner and figure out from there, couple of times a month - the 2014 or 2015 is not gonna save you I am afraid. If this is one and only car you have in your household, the long trips would become too much of the range anxiety especially if you are planing on keeping with the fast lane traffic... You could quick charge in Irvine, but it still takes time and availability of the charger is not guaranteed :(
2014 white LT1 w/QC option
2014 blue LT2 w/QC option

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”