Tire "skidding" question

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

My Spark EV will occasionally make a very distinct tire screech from at least 2 of the wheels at a stop. Seems to happen on flat street city blocks after about 20mph speed as I slow to a full stop. I am definitely not stomping the brakes or causing the car to actually skid. Any ideas?

Very rarely, I've noticed a short squeal with my car tires, also. The first time it happened I was a bit surprised since I was just turning on to a highway on-ramp. The next time I noticed the squeal, though, was at the exact same spot. I am wondering if the noise has something to do with the crosswalk paint or possible a road patch at that spot causing a brief loss of traction--especially since I'm turning my tires as I cross the spot.

Next time it happens, note if you are going over painted surfaces...such as road lines, etc.usually happens as you come to a spot right on pedestrian lines, etc.

Could this be part of the Tire issue that others have talked about and have changed tires?
Not sure where that topic is, but there is one about the stock tires not really a good tire and they swapped with a different one.

I've not experienced this in our Spark, but I've seen similar things in other cars. When it happens is the road rippled (generally caused by big rigs braking)? I've seen that drive ABS systems crazy before.

I get that when I roll over a painted STOP after the tires have warmed up. I've experienced it in other cars too. Not sure exactly why it happens, but it doesn't seem to be anything to be concerned about.

I wonder why ... I have never had that happen with my truck. Wonder if it has to do with the weight of the vehicle.

The Spark EV uses LRR tires, or Low Roll Resistance, to maximize economy and extend range. The trade off for these tires is traction. They will squeal more often on both braking and accelerating than other tires designed to emphasize traction and grip. Nothing to worry about... Enjoy the extra 3-9 miles per charge!

EVelyn said:
The Spark EV uses LRR tires, or Low Roll Resistance, to maximize economy and extend range. The trade off for these tires is traction. They will squeal more often on both braking and accelerating than other tires designed to emphasize traction and grip. Nothing to worry about... Enjoy the extra 3-9 miles per charge!

I experience the same skidding issues and agree with the above answer - except the "Nothing to worry about..." part.

I do appreciate the extra m/kwh, but I remain very aware that my tires are not as grippy as normal. I'm careful going around turns and on wet roads. Fortunately, I'm in California and we're in a very dry time now... :(

Back