Sample VIN

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindsayNB

When I phoned my insurance carrier for a quote their list of vehicle models only had the gas Spark models not the EV. They suggested that if I could get a VIN that would help them look it up. Would someone with a Spark EV mind posting their VIN? I'm assuming that since the VIN can be read through the windshield there isn't any harm in posting it?

KL8CL6S05EC469982

Not sure if there is any security issue, so the last 3 digits are scrambled.

Mercury insurance 6-month premium: 2013 Volt: $356 2014 Spark 2LT (EV): $267

Interestingly, the insurance bill does not mention the "EV" part of the Spark. It's just "Chevrolet Spark 2LT SED 4DR:

Thanks for that! It turned out that it didn't help, the Spark EV just isn't in their database. Their going to look into adding it and get back to me.

LindsayNB said:
Thanks for that! It turned out that it didn't help, the Spark EV just isn't in their database. Their going to look into adding it and get back to me.
This sounds like an opportunity to call another carrier and see what they can do....
Unless you are absolutely commuted to your current company.

LindsayNB said:
When I phoned my insurance carrier for a quote their list of vehicle models only had the gas Spark models not the EV. They suggested that if I could get a VIN that would help them look it up. Would someone with a Spark EV mind posting their VIN? I'm assuming that since the VIN can be read through the windshield there isn't any harm in posting it?

I would just go to a Chevrolet website and get a VIN from one of the new Spark EV's listed and call your insurance company and tell them you are looking into purchasing this vehicle and here is the VIN #. Let them give you a quote by VIN. I wouldn't go on too much about the EV part if you don't have to. Once they find out this little gem is a wheelie popping torque monster muscle car they'll have you in the same insurance bracket as the Z06 Corvette! LOL

I contacted the dealer and got the VIN for one of the vehicles he's selling, my insurer did a lookup on that VIN and it wasn't in the database either so still no go. I contacted another insurance company and went through the same process with the same result. The provincial government has a "Consumer Advocate for Insurance" and I have filled out the form on their website.

I thought about just insuring it under the gas model number but I'm not willing to deal with the possibility that it could invalidate my coverage or that I would get the value of the gas model if it were to get totaled or whatever. I don't think they'll insure it without the VIN lookup anyway. The dealer said he has sold two previously and they got insurance so there's someone out there willing to insure them, hopefully I can find out who and if they aren't Quebec-only I'll have a fallback.

On a brighter note, I went into the local Chevy dealer that does Volt servicing and they pulled up the Spark EV on their service computer system and said there would be no problem servicing it. So that's reassuring. I'm going to Montreal this weekend and will test drive the car on Monday. If that goes okay and I can get insurance then I'm going to buy.

LindsayNB said:
I contacted the dealer and got the VIN for one of the vehicles he's selling, my insurer did a lookup on that VIN and it wasn't in the database either so still no go. I contacted another insurance company and went through the same process with the same result. The provincial government has a "Consumer Advocate for Insurance" and I have filled out the form on their website.

I thought about just insuring it under the gas model number but I'm not willing to deal with the possibility that it could invalidate my coverage or that I would get the value of the gas model if it were to get totaled or whatever. I don't think they'll insure it without the VIN lookup anyway. The dealer said he has sold two previously and they got insurance so there's someone out there willing to insure them, hopefully I can find out who and if they aren't Quebec-only I'll have a fallback.

On a brighter note, I went into the local Chevy dealer that does Volt servicing and they pulled up the Spark EV on their service computer system and said there would be no problem servicing it. So that's reassuring. I'm going to Montreal this weekend and will test drive the car on Monday. If that goes okay and I can get insurance then I'm going to buy.
Good luck with both the insurance and the purchase, I am sure you will be able to figure it out.
It may help finding the insurance company(nies) that have US affiliates that insure the EV Sparks. I called few US companies when I was getting quotes, and not a single one said that they can't or won't insure the Sparky...

I didn't have any problem insuring mine either. I gave my company the vin, make and model and they gave me insurance cards. My premium for 6 months is $276.00

I bought mine without checking with my insurance company, Progressive. When I went on line to change cars, they did not recognize the vin. A quick phone call revealed they didn't have the EV in their database, but I was assured coverage and told that it would be in their system within a week or so. No problems since then and, believe it or not, the rate went down a dollar a month from the old car!

This car is such low production that it is below the radar for most companies.

I won't mention what I pay as it is virtually impossible to compare rates from area to area but, having no connection to the company, so far Flo has been good to me.

I flew to Montreal on the weekend and went to the dealer and test drove one of their Spark EVs and decided to buy, contingent on insurance.

My insurer gave me a definitive NO today, even after I got them the correct code from the Insurance Bureau of Canada. They said they have a strict policy not to insure any vehicle which isn't on sale to the public in Canada.

Contacted another insurer, who said they would insure it at $160/month = $1920/year, two to three times my current rate.

The dealer gave me the name of another company that is insuring a Spark EV that they previously sold, called, got an answering machine, haven't heard back.

Called a broker, who called an insurer who couldn't find it in the database... Will get back to me...

Will make more calls tomorrow.

Well, I got insured! So I've bought the vehicle, just have to wait for it to be shipped here... Yay! :D

If I did my calculations correctly, with our current electric (10cents/kWh) and gas prices (equiv to $5.10/US gallon), the Spark EV will cost the same for mileage as a 250mpg gas vehicle!

I read the entire thread but still don't know what is being done here. Are you buying a Spark EV in Montreal and trying to bring it into the US? Or is it the other way around?

blownb310 said:
I read the entire thread but still don't know what is being done here. Are you buying a Spark EV in Montreal and trying to bring it into the US? Or is it the other way around?
blown: You can read LindsayNB's other thread here: Dealership in Quebec Canada selling Spark EVs
She's in New Brunswick.

LindsayNB, when winter comes around, I hope you will post how your trips work with the car.

SteveC5088 said:
blownb310 said:
blown: You can read LindsayNB's other thread here: Dealership in Quebec Canada selling Spark EVs
She's in New Brunswick.

LindsayNB, when winter comes around, I hope you will post how your trips work with the car.

He's in New Brunswick actually ;)

I'm definitely going to track the effect of temperature on the car and I'll post my findings.

For completeness, I live in New Brunswick, Canada, and the car is coming from a dealership in the neighboring province of Quebec, but the dealership there actually bought the Sparks from Hertz in California as they can only sell their new Sparks to fleet buyers.

Just so you know it all had a happy ending:
My electrician called this afternoon to say he was coming today to install the socket for my 240V EVSE and mere minutes later the dealer called to say my Spark had arrived! It wasn't due until next Tuesday so it was a pleasant surprise.

It's charging now, I will likely test out the drive into town tomorrow. Finally! I've been waiting for this day since first reading about the Leaf in 2010!

Congrats! I know the feeling you're having right now. You'll now be a celebrity at your local EV meetup at your local National Drive Electric Week event. Enjoy the ride. :)

Back