Just signed up for REFUEL

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! That would be fun. I once went to Laguna Seca and watched a VW Sirocco race -- oh so many years ago. Really cool winding course.

Here's a Google Maps satellite view of the course.

What do they charge to play there? How many laps do you get to run for practice?

BTW, the REFUEL site spelled Monterey as "Montery".

I've signed up too. Though not with my Spark. :D

It's a sponsored event with (relatively) limited track time, so it's a lot cheaper than a normal track day. But it went up a lot this year, I think they failed to get some sponsors!

Here's their email detailing costs:
Dear REFUEL Participants, We are pleased to announce that REFUEL 2014 is now open for registration. REFUEL 2014 will offer more opportunities for all participants, including an autocross and two EV auto run groups instead of one to break up beginners and low-intermediate drivers from more experienced participants. Please signup immediately as we expect this event to sell out quickly. Note the following important details before signing up: 1. We will offer 2 EV auto groups but have not increased our charging capabilities significantly in the paddock. To solve (hopefully) this problem we have rented campgrounds in the outer areas of MAZDA Raceway. As a result, only vehicles participating in the REFUEL SportElectric Time Trial (TT) will have charging privileges in the Raceway paddock. All others must agree to charge in the outer campgrounds using standard RV charging facilities. This is the only way we can accommodate more EVs for this event without bringing in generators. 2. The TT (and thus paddock charging for cars) is limited to approximately 35 autos and 35 bikes. Please be aware that we may limit participation in the TT to experienced drivers (those who have participated in REFUEL in the past or have other roadracing experience). If you want to sign up for the TT but are not able to, we may be able to accommodate additional drivers who are willing to charge in the outer campgrounds. 3. If you wish to participate in the autocross, charging will be limited to a handful of stations. 4. No charging will be available to spectators or those participating in the parade lap. Please bear in mind that the campgrounds and paddock charging facilities are reserved primarily for REFUEL participants driving on the racetrack. Prices for REFUEL 2014 are subsidized by the event promoter and sanctioning body, Speed Ventures, as always. $90 - REFUEL EV Performance Driving Event on MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca. 3 x 15min sessions on track = 45 minutes. Helmet required. $50 - REFUEL SportElectric Time Trial (1 solo lap around the racetrack to see who's quickest!). Transponder required (see below for rental cost if you don't own one). Helmet required. Participation in Performance Driving Event required. $30-40 - Autocross (low-speed performance driving course in paddock). Helmet required. $35-$40 - Helmet rentals (limited availability). $20-$30 - Transponder Rental (shows your lap times, required for TT). $10 - Event entry fee per person (including friends, family, spectators, and participants). FREE - Parade lap around world famous MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca. To sign up, begin by visiting: http://www.refuelraces.com/register.php Thanks, Aaron Bitterman & the Speed Ventures crew Speed Ventures, Inc. 323-973-7744 www.speedventures.com

I will be there, likely one of three current Rav4 EV's registered.

I'll be looking forward to beating all stock EV's except the Tesla Model S.

:mrgreen:

It would be so much fun to run my Spark on a track, but I don't want to do anything to hurt my little EV since it's my main mode of transportation. I might have to come watch you guys though.

I was skeptical my first time (last year) particularly since your standard auto insurance doesn't cover racing events. But they way they run the event it's almost safer than driving on the freeway. There are strict passing protocols - it's not wheel-to-wheel racing. Go if you want to. It was a blast.

For those who want to go and haven't yet signed up, if you're a first time racer you can get $30 off:
$30 Off for First-Time SV Drivers
Since we're always looking for more people to get hooked on the racing drug, we're offering $30 off for first-time SV drivers. Please have anyone you know enter this discount code when signing up "SV072014MC"
If you use this code, please also enter a second code of "Referred by GeekEV" and you can save me some dough too!

Hope to see you there! Look for the gray Tesla #21 (SHOOOOM) if you want to stop by and say "hi!"

What are the rules for production class? As delivered from the factory? No wheel/tire upgrades?

Laguna is a fun track. Last time I was there in my race car I was popped for sound. Shouldn't be an issue in the Spark. ;)

I think wheel and tire upgrades are fine, it's not that formal. They most concrete definitions I've seen are here:

http://www.refuelraces.com/register.php

Back