Need a Recommendation for Electrician (LA/OC/SB based)

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparker123

Do any of Los Angeles based (including OC, SB) Spark EV owners know of a reasonably priced and EV-savvy electrician? I am looking to install a 240V outlet in my garage. The cable will be pulled from the main panel which is a distance of 85 feet from the garage, and will probably go underground through my yard and underneath my front walkway.
Do I need to pull a permit from the city for installing a 240V outlet? (I live in LA county)
Does the state/city give any kind of incentive for installing charging stations and/or outlets for EVs?
Thanks so much.

sparker123 said:
Do any of Los Angeles based (including OC, SB) Spark EV owners know of a reasonably priced and EV-savvy electrician? I am looking to install a 240V outlet in my garage. The cable will be pulled from the main panel which is a distance of 85 feet from the garage, and will probably go underground through my yard and underneath my front walkway.
Do I need to pull a permit from the city for installing a 240V outlet? (I live in LA county)
Does the state/city give any kind of incentive for installing charging stations and/or outlets for EVs?
Thanks so much.
85 ft of cable, buried, across the walkway sounds very expensive endeavor. Before embarking on it,
a. see if the 110V charging is absolutely out of the question (i am still charging one of mine with 110)
b. investigate if you have or ever had a 240V dyer outlet in your garage
c. I believe any electrical outlet movement/modification requires a permit from the city
d. good luck :)

I work for an EV installer and happened upon this post while researching an issue a Spark customer is having with 110 outlets.

Thought I might add some detail to nmikmik's reply:

b. investigate if you have or ever had a 240V dyer outlet in your garage

This option can work, but most dryer outlets are 30A, which means #10 copper wire, so the biggest EVCS you could install would be something like the Clipper Creek LCS-25 (20 amps); the technical limit is 24 amps, but good luck find a 24 amp EVCS ;-)

c. I believe any electrical outlet movement/modification requires a permit from the city

Any electrical work is *supposed* to be permitted/inspected. Whether you'll get caught if you don't is another question, but either way the work should be done to current California Electrical Code standards, and by someone able to do the work safely.

Good luck :)

sparker123 said:
Thanks so much.
An electrician will probably try to talk you out of trenching through your yard unless you know for a fact that no other lines run through through the yard. Running conduit through a crawl space is almost always easier than trenching.

Back