Chevy Spark EV Recalled

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaconzies

I just read this article:http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/...2a6a0e-4e3b-11e4-877c-335b53ffe736_story.html by the washington post.

RECALL #2: 2013-2015 Chevrolet Spark & Chevrolet Spark EV

UNITS AFFECTED: 93,834 (89,294 in the U.S.)

Detroit News reports that this recall stems from a potential build-up of rust on the Spark's hood latch. That could prevent the latch from working as intended and allow the hood to open unexpectedly. GM knows of three such incidents that have happened in the U.K., though no accidents or injuries have been reported.

GM hasn't issued a timeline for this recall either. It appears that the company is waiting for the delivery of properly rust-proof parts, which will be used to replace the faulty latches on recalled vehicles. Until that time, GM won't allow any of the 2015 models included in the recall to be delivered to buyers.

To my knowledge this is the first recall. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue especially because the weather is so great in Cali that rust isn't as much of an issue, but definitely don't want the hood unexpectedly popping up. I guess I'll be waiting for the notification...

If you register your on my.chevrolet.com you get a link to any recalls on the left side of the main page. I wasn't initially aware of that site but it also gives you a PC version of all of the mylink phone app commands as well as daily charging and energy use/efficiency data that is pulled from your car. It's handy to be able to send the remote commands without tracking down my phone. It also has a link to the owner's manual if you haven't already found it online elsewhere. There is also this site specifically for recalls: http://recalls.gm.com . If you are registered and logged into the my.chevrolet site, the recall button just takes you to the recalls site without having to punch in your VIN.

Anyhow, that recall has been listed there since Sep 23, 2014. There is also a recall for loose control arm bolts and though it is for regular Sparks, I'm leery of our limited production version being overlooked.
Vehicles Affected: More than 1,900 model-year 2014 Chevrolet Spark hatchbacks manufactured between May 7, 2014, and May 26, 2014. You can check your vehicle's manufacture date by locating a sticker on the driver's-side doorjamb.

The Problem: The left and right lower control arm attaching bolts in the front suspension may not be tightened to specification. This could cause the lower control arm to separate from the steering knuckle while driving, causing a loss of steering and increasing the risk of a crash. We first reported on the recall on July 23.

The Fix: GM will begin notifying owners today, and dealers will inspect the left and right lower control arm attaching bolts to make sure they are tightened to the proper specification for free.

What Owners Should Do: GM is advising owners not to drive their vehicles until the recall remedy is completed; they should call a Chevrolet dealer immediately to arrange for their vehicle to be transported for servicing for free. Owners can call Chevrolet at 800-222-1020, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's vehicle-safety hotline at 888-327-4236 or go to http://www.safercar.gov for more info.

Yep just received the notice in the mail, Recall # 14456 for the hood latch. Parts are barely becoming available, I'll probably call the dealer by my house soon to schedule an appointment.

Ha! I hope you realize it is NOT just the Spark EV, but ALL Sparks. So the title is a bit misleading.

I got the recall notice, and then posted a little humorously to the local Facebook EV group that I'm not worried, since I haven't opened the hood on the Spark EV more than a couple of times, and that is just to show off the internals to someone.

Since there is no ICE in there, there is almost no reason to open it.

Back