EV sales just took a hit in British Columbia , loss of $7000

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickanddeere

EV sales just took a hit in British Columbia. The government EV incentive of $7000 tax dollars is being canceled.
Rumour of Ontario and/or Quebec dropping their $8500 donation of tax dollars to EV buyers.

buickanddeere said:
EV sales just took a hit in British Columbia. The government EV incentive of $7000 tax dollars is being canceled.
Rumour of Ontario and/or Quebec dropping their $8500 donation of tax dollars to EV buyers.

Idiots

buickanddeere said:
The politicians decided that more votes could be bought with that $7000 going into welfare, education, medical and daycare. Instead of discounting one person's $42,000 + taxes Volt.

I very much doubt that was the reason.

It's more like their pockets are lined by the oil shale and petroleum industry. The R&D for renewable energy and alternative energy in BC and Canada in general is abysmally low. They are so far behind everyone it's pathetic.

Education you say? BC Schools were shut down for a few months just until recently as the teachers were on strike due to poor wages and other issues...so much for them caring about education. Medical? I have a few friends in BC....the drug and rehab issues are getting worse by the day.

Taking tax breaks away from electric cars isn't going to make a dent in any of these issues.

nozferatu said:
buickanddeere said:
The politicians decided that more votes could be bought with that $7000 going into welfare, education, medical and daycare. Instead of discounting one person's $42,000 + taxes Volt.

I very much doubt that was the reason.

It's more like their pockets are lined by the oil shale and petroleum industry. The R&D for renewable energy and alternative energy in BC and Canada in general is abysmally low. They are so far behind everyone it's pathetic.

Education you say? BC Schools were shut down for a few months just until recently as the teachers were on strike due to poor wages and other issues...so much for them caring about education. Medical? I have a few friends in BC....the drug and rehab issues are getting worse by the day.

Taking tax breaks away from electric cars isn't going to make a dent in any of these issues.

I would suspect the province of BC is so broke from public service and social programs that saving even $7000 per EV looks attractive. Their welfare costs are out of control.

Well, I'm moving me and my Spark up to Edmonton, Alberta this December for grad school. Guess it will be a rare sight to see an EV all the way up there.

xylhim said:
Well, I'm moving me and my Spark up to Edmonton, Alberta this December for grad school. Guess it will be a rare sight to see an EV all the way up there.

Purchase some good thermal long underwear tops and bottoms, well insulated boots, heavy mitts, a long winter parka with hood, a balaclava and most important a very warm hat.
A 1500W, 120V vehicle interior warmer on a timer would be a good idea too.
Definitely a set of these real winter tires. Vehicles with all season tires in winter weather are a hazard.

Dunlop Winter Maxx™
Winter
Front MSRP*
$113
Rear MSRP*
$119
Excellent ice grip for passenger vehicles.
Speed Rating
T (118 mph)
T (118 mph)
Load Index
82 (1047 lbs)
85 (1135 lbs)

xylhim said:

Edmonton is a lovely, friendly place. My first time there my flight landed during a snowstorm. I rented a car and headed for the nearby hotel. The road had previously frozen slush under the fresh blowing snow. It was about a 20 mph wind, so not quite a blizzard but very cold and very slippery out. As I waited at a traffic light a guy went by, apparently commuting home from work, on his bicycle.

Your Spark EV will attract lots of attention, and you'll find Canadians generally friendly and likable.

buickanddeere said:
xylhim said:

Purchase some good thermal long underwear tops and bottoms, well insulated boots, heavy mitts, a long winter parka with hood, a balaclava and most important a very warm hat.
A 1500W, 120V vehicle interior warmer on a timer would be a good idea too.
Definitely a set of these real winter tires. Vehicles with all season tires in winter weather are a hazard.

Dunlop Winter Maxx™
Winter
Front MSRP*
$113
Rear MSRP*
$119
Excellent ice grip for passenger vehicles.
Speed Rating
T (118 mph)
T (118 mph)
Load Index
82 (1047 lbs)
85 (1135 lbs)

I'm not really planning on driving in the middle of a storm. I was thinking of just getting chains for when I have no other choice, but otherwise I would expect roads to be plowed?

Chains ? Nobody uses chains on paved roads or street. Not even studded tires are legal unless in the northern portions of some provinces.
iirc the Spark EV has minimal tire to wheel well clearance, chains would rip the vehicle to pieces.
Chains are for gravel mountain roads, farm tractors and log sliders or mining equipment.
Chains on the Eco weaner tires would slip and flip the vehicle into the ditch or another vehicle. If the cops didn't bust you first.
The only source of winter traction is tires with the mountain and snowflake symbol.

Ha Ha you guys are funny.

Winter Tires ? What are those
We just use year round all weather tires here in Mass/NH areas.
I have never in my life ever had "snow/Winter" tires put on. Just all weather.

You wait till the roads are plowed, and DRIVE SLOW !!

Have fun and tell them all about the EV !

Let us know how it does battery wise in the cold cold

We would not get out very much if we waited for ploughed roads, let alone bare roads. It's not unusual to have the bottom of the vehicle dragging in the snow in mornings before the snowplough or after they ploughs have been pulled from the road for the evening. Sometimes there will be snowdrifts up to headlight height. We just drive through them.
I looked up Boston's climate on Wikipedia. Apparently Boston has just spring, summer and fall weather.

Back