Non low-rolling resistance tires and efficiency

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesamecrunch

My front tires wore out at 16K miles. I didn't like the lack of traction with the OEM's, and with rainy season coming up, I replaced them with non-LRR tires from Kumho.

I have driven the new tires for about 1000 miles. Based on the miles/kwh efficiency on regular driving routes, I estimate that there is a 0.3 or 0.4 m/kwh decrease in the Spark EV's efficiency. This is not scientific, obviously, but based on my deliberate observations. So, it's a 6-8% decrease. I imagine I can make up the difference with more careful driving.

Anyone else out there with similar experiences? Care to share your numbers?

Sesamecrunch said:
My front tires wore out at 16K miles. I didn't like the lack of traction with the OEM's, and with rainy season coming up, I replaced them with non-LRR tires from Kumho.

I have driven the new tires for about 1000 miles. Based on the miles/kwh efficiency on regular driving routes, I estimate that there is a 0.3 or 0.4 m/kwh decrease in the Spark EV's efficiency. This is not scientific, obviously, but based on my deliberate observations. So, it's a 6-8% decrease. I imagine I can make up the difference with more careful driving.

Anyone else out there with similar experiences? Care to share your numbers?

Good to know as my tires are in OK shape but are so crappy...it's frustrating how bad they are.

buickanddeere said:
I would trade a 10% loss in mileage just to have respectable cornering and braking capability.

Do you actually drive an EV? If so, I'm surprised to hear you say that, as very few EV drivers are willing to give up 10% range!!

I've been driving for a couple thousand miles with different race tires (treadwear around 200) and there's a significant decrease in range and increase in noise. I don't do many long commutes, so it's ok for me, but I have swapped back and forth a few times when I want a quieter tire or want to test a suspension adjustment's affect on traction with a lower traction threshold. I don't have any hard numbers as I don't drive any consistent duty cycle to have a statistic significance, but it's obvious that the factory tires are extremely low rolling resistance and I'd be surprised if any other tire can beat them (which is why they're used on so many hyper-efficient cars from the factory!).

Bryce

Nashco said:
buickanddeere said:
I would trade a 10% loss in mileage just to have respectable cornering and braking capability.

Do you actually drive an EV? If so, I'm surprised to hear you say that, as very few EV drivers are willing to give up 10% range!!

I've been driving for a couple thousand miles with different race tires (treadwear around 200) and there's a significant decrease in range and increase in noise. I don't do many long commutes, so it's ok for me,

Bryce

I commute 70 miles r/t so range is important. But traction and safety are even more so. That's why I made the trade off. I think you may feel the same when you get more miles on your car. The original tires are very slippery.

I switched to Non LRR Firestone Firehawks on the front at 9k miles and now at 12k, I have only noticed a 3-5% reduction in EV range but noticeable increase in traction. I still get the crappy stability control kick in when I get too much lean into corners.

Here is my thought.. Since I have a lease on my spark I know that one of the things they are going to get me on when I return is tire wear.. Since those low rolling res tires are not cheap(even though they really are) I am taking them off the vehicle while still new and storing them in sealed in 36gal bags.. I am replacing them with a better tire(because they really do suck)and not worrying about the hit in mileage which is worth the better traction IMO..

When I go to return the vehicle I will put the OEM tires back on with no wear on them.. If I am going to have to pay for tires anyway I would rather pay for decent handling tires up front...

I wore the original front tires to a mninimum tread depth in 13,000 miles. The back tires are looking nearly new. I replaced the fronts with Yokohama Avid Ascends, based on the recommendations from this group. I have noticed a tremendous improvement in handling, and am able to smoothy zip through a set of tight curves at 55. The old tires would slip out and kick in the directional controls at anything over 45 in this stretch of road. I have not measured any decrease in range. In my 25 mile commute over three large hills and colder weather, I'm getting the same 4.3 miles per kilowatt at moderate speeds I was getting with the originals.

Back