Level 3 SAE Combo charging problems?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodgerfan

Have any other Spark EV users had issues with level 3 charging? I thought the issue was with the charging station but now I'm starting to think its something in Chevy's design. If it was only one station I was having an issue with I would have thought it was the charger but half the stations I use do not work it says my battery is full or charging stopped by user. There are times it might work if I change my settings from charge immediately to departure time. I usually have to change it back and forth several times before it will take a charge this only happens with level 3 charging. Some ABB stations work some don't many times the first time I use a charger it works then it doesn't work a second time. I have never had any issues with ev pump in Irvine or 1 in Huntington Beach. OnStar has been of no help.

This is the fault of the NRG/ABB. BMW drivers often have the same problems with the Terra 53 fast chargers by ABB. I think there is a way to make them work, but you have to follow a very specific process.

Something like:
1. Plug in the SAE combo connector. At this point, the yellow light on the Spark should come on, if it does not, then try unplugging and plugging back in. Also make sure the car is off, doors are locked before plugging in. You cannot proceed to the next step until you get the yellow light.
2. Scan your card at the machine. Some of the ABB machines, I need to press and rotate the card right up against the scanner for up to 20 seconds to get it to read, if that doesn't work you can call and have it activated.
3. The charger should begin communicating with the car and you should hear a click coming from within the charger. If the charger says battery is full or charger stopped by user, unplug for a minute or so then try from the beginning. I think you do have to wait it out if you get these types of errors, I think the machine kind of times out for a while after.

You can find other recent discussion about the DC chargers here:

http://mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3971

This thread discussion would make more sense in the "Charging" forum.

Bryce

I saw that thread right after I posted my comment on this one and so far the info helped I lucked out with one of the Chargers but one of them is an efacec charger I'm going to try that one tomorrow. I also posted the info on plug share for that location.

Back