Level 2 Charger recommendation

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezryder

Does anyone have this charger here, and if so, does it actually work as described? (3-4 hours for a "zero to full" charge) http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30GRYU-Versicharge-Electric-Flexible/dp/B00MFVI92S/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

It is portable, too, which is a real bonus for visiting far-away friends.

ezryder said:
Does anyone have this charger here, and if so, does it actually work as described? (3-4 hours for a "zero to full" charge) http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30GRYU-Versicharge-Electric-Flexible/dp/B00MFVI92S/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

It is portable, too, which is a real bonus for visiting far-away friends.

Not with the Spark EV's 3.3kW charger.

Pawl said:
Not with the Spark EV's 3.3kW charger.

That's what I figured. Seemed too good to be true. I thought maybe it would be for real because I looked at a JuiceBox model and it said it worked at 15 amps whereas this one says 30 amps.

Probably not going to perform on the Spark EV as advertised.
The onboard charger sort of determines what rate you'll get.
But if you already have a NEMA 6-50 type receptacle, then it certainly is an easy install.

Not sure on the 6-50. I rent a cottage behind someone's house, so I'm trying to get the owner to let me install a charger here. I looked at the meter and see it says "240v, 30A", but I haven't checked the plug. How can I tell if it's a 6-50?

Regardless, I'll have an electrician add an outside plug with a 6-50. Which seems funny, given it's a 30 amp charger and a 30 amp service at the house, but I don't know squat about electricity. Something tells me I will, once I get this car. :)

aviatorjames said:
Probably not going to perform on the Spark EV as advertised.
The onboard charger sort of determines what rate you'll get.
This is why I keep pointing people to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668 so that they distinguish between the EVSE (what the OP is actually looking for) vs. the on-board charger and understand where all the bottlenecks can be.

For AC charging, anything above a 16 amp 208/240 volt EVSE won't charge the Spark EV any faster than a 16 amp.

NomadMac said:
I'm happy with my free Bosch. Can't beat the price.
Did you not get that offer?

Free is good, since it will be hardwired and I may move! Can you point me to the place where I need to go for the $500 rebate, or whatever? I had it bookmarked but can't find it! Thanks

I was given the impression the $500 from Bosch is toward the purchase and professional installation...
i.e. it will not be totally free.

Since you are renting, your original plan might be best.
Getting a plug-in 240v EVSE that you can take with you when you move.

I think your landlord/lady should split whatever installation with you...
...since it will benefit him/her in the long run too!
(my mother rents out a cottage and has been asked by potential renters about EVSE)

Bottom line... a 240v EVSE (Level II) is essential for making any EV practical.
Hope all of this helps in your decision making process!

Another question I have is on California building code... "Your local electrical code will probably require a hard-wired installation if you plan to situate the EVSE outdoors."

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/how-to-get-the-best-home-charger-for-your-plug-in-car.html

Anyone here install a plugin EVSE outside? Is there a code issue here? I'm in the SF Bay Area. This would kinda suck when I move someday. Which may not be too far off, though I don't really know for sure.

Also, do I need a permit? The house has 240v 30amp service right now.

aviatorjames said:
I was given the impression the $500 from Bosch is toward the purchase and professional installation...
i.e. it will not be totally free.
You don't have to have a Bosch installer, or any professional installer, do the work to get the discount. I did the work myself. In the OP's case, the landlady would undoubtedly want a licensed electrician to do it. I don't know about Cal but in Oregon by law all electrical work in a rental property must be done by a pro.

Called Bosch yesterday for my recently purchased 2015 model, the offer is still good. Emailed Latrice my info and a copy of my temp registration and she had it ordered immediately. It shipped the same day and is on its way via UPS ground. In total, it cost me $9.92 for the 16A model to cover tax and shipping. This spark has so many nice perks! :D

Awesome! Do you know if they would offer this deal on a 30amp EVSE? I, personally, prefer to get something that I can grow into. but... for $10 I would go with the 16amp. :)

Thanks for the update!

ezryder said:
Awesome! Do you know if they would offer this deal on a 30amp EVSE? I, personally, prefer to get something that I can grow into. but... for $10 I would go with the 16amp. :)

Thanks for the update!

Many people, myself included, chose the 30A model and got $500 off, no worries.

StevesWeb said:
ezryder said:

Thanks for the update!

Indeed, I got the 30 amp unit. Better for me now - the longer cord is nice to have and better for me later - at least I hope the Bolt has a 6.6 charger.

emv said:
StevesWeb said:
ezryder said:

Thanks for the update!

Indeed, I got the 30 amp unit. Better for me now - the longer cord is nice to have and better for me later - at least I hope the Bolt has a 6.6 charger.

Well, it's at least two years away, so who knows what the charger will look like then. IT'll have to be at least 6.6kwh for a 200 mile range battery, I'd say.

I already had a 20 amp outlet in my carport for my welder. My electrician friend put a cord on my Bosch and I hung it on the wall. Since I already have a 30 foot extension cord for my welder, I could the EVSE to another garage bay if desired.

I would have gone with a 30 amp charger for a little money out of pocket but then I would have had to spend a lot more money having a 30 amp outlet installed. As Jerry Brown said forty years ago, "I'm not a fiscal conservative, I'm just cheap".

IIRC, the Chevy website said you had to use a Bosch installer, Bosch site said you didn't. You don't.

NomadMac said:
I already had a 20 amp outlet in my carport for my welder. My electrician friend put a cord on my Bosch and I hung it on the wall. Since I already have a 30 foot extension cord for my welder, I could the EVSE to another garage bay if desired.

IIRC, the Chevy website said you had to use a Bosch installer, Bosch site said you didn't. You don't.

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing. I don't want to blow $1,000 on a Jesla; it's just too much money. If I can get this Bosh unit free, I'll have an electrician rig me up 40' extension cord, or whatever, with a (?) plug on it. 10-30, perhaps. Is this a reasonable idea? Can I buy a 40' welder extension cord? I can't imagine an electrician would chartge much to turn the Bosch into a portable unit. How heavy is it?

Back