Will GM Service / Repair Spark EV outside CA/Oragon?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am in San Jose, Ca. Planning to lease Chevy EV for wife. I was about to sign lease yesterday eve. Last moment, I asked Chevy dealership questions on Chevy support for Spark EV service outside CA and he did not know.

1) My job is such where I may need to relocate outside CA in a year or two max. If and when that happens, will Chevy dealerships in other states support service or repairs or 'recalls' (if any) for Spark EV?

2) I plan to take up Bosch charger and install it to my new place if I relocate.. but are other states (at least urban areas) having good number of charging stations for Chevy Spark EV?

Does anyone has firsthand experience? Or got anything in writing/email from GM? Please help, because without this clarity, I would not be able to sign this lease.

thx,
RD

rajdori said:
but are other states (at least urban areas) having good number of charging stations for Chevy Spark EV?
I'm not sure what you mean.

All Spark EVs and all currently sold highway legal mass market EVs/PHEVs are compatible w/J1772(-2009) for L1 and L2 AC charging.

You can use http://www.plugshare.com/ to find public stations (look for EV Plug (J1772) on their web site). The pricing may/may not be reasonable.

If you're talking about OPTIONAL DC fast charging inlet, there's not much SAE Combo (Combo1) infrastructure outside CA and OR. You can find them via http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5947#p5947.

IMHO, for anyone with a pure BEV w/sub-120 mile range, it is bad idea to have it if you cannot either charge at home or work or have access to reliable, often open, reasonable priced or free public L2 charging that's conveniently accessible. Depending solely on public charging is a bad idea for most folks.

Just make sure the dealership can service a Volt, and you should be fine. Be patient if anything serious stops working though.

Back