Questions related to spark ev charging details

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaihind

question related to charging -
After charging is completed, is there a way to check how much charging was done? What time charging started and what time it ended?

Also, from three charging options, what should be used if requirement is to charge at particular time and end at particular time ? what is your suggestion?
I don't want to fully charge battery every time i put car on charge. i want to charge only during off peak hours. But, looks like software in car wants to fully charge battery whenever its plugged in.

from manual pg 5-21 ,
Rate & Departure Time= i believe even though start/end time is mentioned, charging takes place according to battery energy left. eg. if 20% energy is left, charging will start on its own even in peak period.
departure time = only departure time is selected. so, charging can start anytime. So this option is not good at all.

jaihind said:
question related to charging -
<....>
departure time = only departure time is selected. so, charging can start anytime. So this option is not good at all.

Not quite - as I understand it, it will delay charging so that the battery is just full at the time you specify.

What rate are you charging at? Is this using level 1?

kevin

yea. level 1 for now.
soon i want to go for level 2..

does it really take 20 hours to charge on level 1 ?

> I don't want to fully charge battery every time i put car on charge.

You will have a tough time doing that. You would need an external timer switch to turn charging on and off.

If you get the L2 charger, you can set charging to "Charge during Off-Peak Rates", so it will never charge unless the rates are Off-Peak.

First off ...a 240v charger is pretty basic for using the SparkEV like a normal car.

But about charging times...
Once you plug in, the charge times are given on both DIC -if you want to sit back in the car.
Or you can look at either the web-based or the OnStar app that will give you a charge completion time.
...these times seem quite accurate. i.e. when it says charge complete at 1230, at 1230 it is in fact fully charged.

thanks !

DIC/web-based or onstar app shows charge completion time? somehow i am not able to find this info.

other question - are bosch charging stations are good ? i see they are not compatible with other cars like leaf.

http://www.pluginnow.com/charging_stations

The Bosch chargers work with Leaf too. Every charger with the J1772 plug works with any car with the same receptacle. You are looking at the Bosch "Approved Programs" slot, where Leaf is not included. The "Approved Program" is an agreement with the car maker and Bosch where there incentives if you buy a Bosch charger and hire one of their approved electricians to install it. Nissan does not have a program with Bosch, that is all that means.

There are many chargers available. Look at Clipper Creek, look at Turbo Cord, JuiceBox.

Can you please show where can i see charge times.

i just see charging on DIC when i plug in. don't see time .

aviatorjames said:
First off ...a 240v charger is pretty basic for using the SparkEV like a normal car.

But about charging times...
Once you plug in, the charge times are given on both DIC -if you want to sit back in the car.
Or you can look at either the web-based or the OnStar app that will give you a charge completion time.
...these times seem quite accurate. i.e. when it says charge complete at 1230, at 1230 it is in fact fully charged.

Can you please show where can i see charge times.

Two options:
1) Onstar app on your phone
2) Plug in the car, wait for the green light on the dash, and open the driver's door. On the instrument panel it will show current level of charge and estimated completion time. You could also power up the car and look at the charging info in the touchscreen, but I only do that if I want to bump it up to 12 amps.

In my experience, using L1 charging the car is very conservative in its estimate of completion time. It's usually done almost an hour earlier.

Back