Future of the Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureFolly

With the surge in sales/leases in April the Spark EV seems to have fulfilled any need to generate CARB-ZEV credits for GM. The 2015 credits don't expire until 2016, and by then the Bolt will be able to take over any regulatory burden for GM. Reports I've found seem to reflect that GM was caught off guard by the sales stampede for the Spark EV. Larger orders from Korea are supposedly under discussion at GM.

The Fiat 500e seems to be in a similar position of out selling its government mandated volumes by a wide margin, especially for a car that is only sold in 2 states. For a company that thinks EVs are fullish they seem to be doing a good job selling them. Is FCA selling credits or something?

When does everyone think Spark EV production will officially end?

What are the specific quotas and numbers for the CARB-ZEV requirements? I don't think I have ever seen the actual numbers.

If GM looses money selling the Spark EV, and they don't need any more credits... then I doubt they will ramp up any productions.

It will be really telling if GM decides to cut Spark EV production because they have satisfied the ZEV mandate. If they are truly invested in EVs, they would want to brandish their logo on as many ZEV cars as possible before their iconic Bolt is released. It would help make them a serious competitor with Tesla, BMW and Nissan by doing so.

I know my car is new and I'm still all warm and fuzzy over it, but damn this is a sweet car. Very quick, quiet, handles well, and about as comfortable as one could expect from a compact. Chevy ought to be proud, I hope they sell as many as they can cause it's cars like the Spark that will help advance the EV revolution and pave the way for the Bolt (and others to come).

I want one but only if they sell them locally...
As funky as it looks I would still take it with the 7.2 0-60 time...
All the other non Tesla EVs are 10 plus seconds...

I read somewhere else that Chevy does not currently need any CARB credits but can bank them for a year or two in the future...
But even if that is true the Volt will sell enough that the still dont need them unless they plan on selling them...
With them lowering the price and throwing the rebates on it would seem that they are at least breaking even...

I think the big issue with Jumbo companies is they have a 100 year investment in ICEs and 100 years resistance to change...
Right now I think Nissan and the Germans are the only ones who get it... The future is EVs...

ExtensionCord said:
I know my car is new and I'm still all warm and fuzzy over it, but damn this is a sweet car. Very quick, quiet, handles well, and about as comfortable as one could expect from a compact. Chevy ought to be proud, I hope they sell as many as they can cause it's cars like the Spark that will help advance the EV revolution and pave the way for the Bolt (and others to come).

I feel the same way- definitely in a honeymoon phase and so pleased with my Spark-E. Long term (lease term) I'm wondering whether I will keep it or move on to a newer EV. I hope that Chevy will treat us well when the Spark EV gets replaced by the Bolt, because I really love the size of the Spark for urban driving.

As a 3 year prior Volt leaser, coming to Spark was more of a surprise than I imagined. I purchased my Spark due to its great price, and I've been super surprised by its range and acceleration. Definitely loving this car. What I'd likely imagine is that the new Bolt might come in multiple battery size trims. Instead of killing the Spark entirely, it would evolve into the a Bolt with 100 mile or 200 mile options. That'd be the smart way to do it IMO.

Back