Helms Service manuals?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerHV

Wondering if the Helms repair manual is worth $300.00. I love technical data and I'd like to know if these books contain - for example - circuit board schematics, as well as full mechanical repair information specific to the Spark EV. I've never seen an official Helm manual. All I've used in the past were Haynes and Chiltons. These contained very poor photos, generic descriptions that didn't always match my car, and far too many responses of (I'm paraphrasing here, of course) "This is too complicated for a home mechanic like you, bring it to a REAL repair facility!"
I don't want to spend $300.00 on something that will often say "replace entire DC to DC converter" (or charger, or other expensive module.)

David

dangerHV said:
Wondering if the Helms repair manual is worth $300.00. I love technical data and I'd like to know if these books contain - for example - circuit board schematics, as well as full mechanical repair information specific to the Spark EV. I've never seen an official Helm manual. All I've used in the past were Haynes and Chiltons. These contained very poor photos, generic descriptions that didn't always match my car, and far too many responses of (I'm paraphrasing here, of course) "This is too complicated for a home mechanic like you, bring it to a REAL repair facility!"
I don't want to spend $300.00 on something that will often say "replace entire DC to DC converter" (or charger, or other expensive module.)

David

I can't say if the manuals are worth the money; I *can* say that they are quite detailed. Exquisitely so. They have been priceless to me in my endeavors to "personalize" my Spark EV. Highly recommended.

-Bob K.

Thank you Bob/Steve. That's what I like to hear. +/- "Exquisitely Detailed" is music to my ears. And you mentioned "personalizing" which would definitely be easier with a good manual. (We're obviously talking more than decals here.)

David

In case you didn't already see it, a relevant thread about the service manuals:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3933

Bryce

Thanks, Nashco, I did see that a while ago but didn't remember it since there was little info about the quality of the car info, it's mostly just the print quality. I'll have to confirm schematics and wiring diagrams are included. Otherwise not worth $300 as the other person mentioned.
Are you still racing?? I haven't seen much about it lately. Video's???

David

dangerHV said:

David

They do have all the wiring harness connections and mechanical information but do not contain circuit board schematics.

These days you won't find any manuals with detailed documentation about the internals of modules - in general they are not repairable, even at the factory.

This applies to the great majority of modern electronics, a PCB is not designed to be fixed whether it is an iPhone a TV or a car.

kevin

Sounds like you have a set? I'm not surprised about the board schematics. I was in the parts business for 12 years and witnessed the decline of electronics repairs. Sad, I loved that business. Now there almost all gone.
Can you compare the Helms to Haynes or Chiltons as far as quality of diagrams & photo's, and completeness?

David

There is no comparison between the Helms manuals (which are the exact same information that is used by the dealership technicians) and the Chilton/Haynes type manuals (which are largely incomplete and cover only basic service items and aren't available for the Spark EV). As already mentioned, you won't find any documentation for internal schematics/circuit boards/etc. of modules available to the public. The Helms manual is absolutely the most complete information you can get for the Spark EV, including wiring diagrams, component locations, service instructions, diagnostic information, etc. I think they're worth every penny if you're a tinkerer or you do your own service. If you just like looking at technical books and don't plan to use it, I'd say it would be a lot cheaper to hang out at the book store when you're bored.

It's important to note that the 2015 Spark EV service is not yet available, only the 2014. The 2015 and 2014 Spark EV are largely the same, but the battery is significantly different and many minor software/diagnostic/wiring/mechanical changes might go along with that for battery relevant systems.

Bryce

dangerHV said:
Thank you Bob/Steve. That's what I like to hear. +/- "Exquisitely Detailed" is music to my ears. And you mentioned "personalizing" which would definitely be easier with a good manual. (We're obviously talking more than decals here.)

David

Yes, David. Detailed as in allowing me to determine which circuits were power, ground, signal, etc. Invaluable resource.

Invaluable in showing how to remove/reinstall just about every piece of the car...in exquisite detail. Written (obviously) by engineers...for engineers. This can be intimidating at first, but with focus and patience the rewards are worth the effort.

-Bob K.

Awesome sTeeve! Here's something you can check on, if you want. I'm guessing that the DCFC "Provisions" -which must be factory installed- are basically no more than a pair of heavy cables snaked thru the car between the battery and 2 contacts in the charge port. Essentially the DCFC station IS the charger so my guess is all the control software is also in the station. The car's charger is completely bypassed, leaving only the charging info data going thru the connector to the dashboard displays. I'll check it out in greater detail when I get the manuals.

David

dangerHV said:
I'm guessing that the DCFC "Provisions" -which must be factory installed- are basically no more than a pair of heavy cables snaked thru the car between the battery and 2 contacts in the charge port.

You're guessing wrong. Just think of all the things you'll be learning with your new manuals! ;)

Bryce

If I was going to keep my Spark instead of having leased it I would buy the manual in a heartbeat, remove the pages from the binding and run it through my nice Fujitsu double sided SnapScan scanner to end up with a beautiful electronic copy I could cart around in my iPad/laptop/phone. But, alas, in mid-2017 my Spark is going back to the leasing company with almost 45,000 miles on the clock with a residual value considerably higher than what it would sell for. Hoping that the Bolt will be out by then.

Back