OnStar vs Spark EV energy efficiency disparity

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamerhokie

Now that the weather has improved I'm tracking my energy usage more closely. I noticed something odd recently in how OnStar is reporting my efficiency, vs. how the Spark itself reports it.

I reset my trip odometer the same day every month to measure kwh/mi over time. For the April segment, the Spark showed 4.9 mi/kwh. However, for roughly the same period, OnStar reported 24 mi/100 kwh, which translates to ~4.2 mi/kwh.

Does anyone know why there's such a disparity in data reported? Which is more accurate?

hamerhokie said:
Now that the weather has improved I'm tracking my energy usage more closely. I noticed something odd recently in how OnStar is reporting my efficiency, vs. how the Spark itself reports it.

I reset my trip odometer the same day every month to measure kwh/mi over time. For the April segment, the Spark showed 4.9 mi/kwh. However, for roughly the same period, OnStar reported 24 mi/100 kwh, which translates to ~4.2 mi/kwh.

Does anyone know why there's such a disparity in data reported? Which is more accurate?

I believe the Onstar value includes the estimated efficiency of the charger (~80%). So it is the consumption form the wall socket.

For the first year I owned the Spark I recorded all the charging energy (from Chargepoint) and also that reported by the Energy screen.

My long term MPGe from OnStar is 161 that equates to 4.8mi/kWh which matched the Chargepoint consumption.

The energy screen average was 5.7mi/kWh.

kevin

Back