[Sources say] Spark EV Production Ends In August

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Writing has been on the wall for a while, especially when they decided to keep the '16 Spark EV with the older body style.

It was a good, albeit short run for the Spark EV. Served its purpose of being a guinea pig for the Gen 2 Volt and upcoming Bolt...and nab those precious ZEV credits in CA of course.

Probably will be some great deals for someone looking to pick up a Spark EV later this year!

bro1999 said:
Writing has been on the wall for a while, especially when they decided to keep the '16 Spark EV with the older body style.

It was a good, albeit short run for the Spark EV. Served its purpose of being a guinea pig for the Gen 2 Volt and upcoming Bolt...and nab those precious ZEV credits in CA of course.

Probably will be some great deals for someone looking to pick up a Spark EV later this year!
I am starting to see 2014 Spark EV 2LT with ~15K miles for less than $12K. I wonder what will happen when the 2014s start coming off of their leases. I too expect some great deals will be found. Last August I bought a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT with only 1500 miles on it for just under $14k. It does not have the quick-charge option but it has been a fantastic car so far with absolutely no problems.

MrDRMorgan said:
Last August I bought a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT with only 1500 miles on it for just under $14k. It does not have the quick-charge option but it has been a fantastic car so far with absolutely no problems.

This may become the most infuriating thing about the prospect of looking for a used Spark EV, is the lack of disclosure by many used car vendors whether the car has DCFC or no until you contact them to ask... it should've been part of the branding upfront "Spark EV Plus" or something, but no.

whomadewho said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Last August I bought a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT with only 1500 miles on it for just under $14k. It does not have the quick-charge option but it has been a fantastic car so far with absolutely no problems.

This may become the most infuriating thing about the prospect of looking for a used Spark EV, is the lack of disclosure by many used car vendors whether the car has DCFC or no until you contact them to ask... it should've been part of the branding upfront "Spark EV Plus" or something, but no.

Or if GM REALLY wanted 2 trims, should have made the 1LT the non-QC version, and the 2LT coming with QC standard.

whomadewho said:
...This may become the most infuriating thing about the prospect of looking for a used Spark EV, is the lack of disclosure by many used car vendors whether the car has DCFC ...
This is SO true. I went through this process when searching for my used 'with DCFC' Spark EV.

Here's a good tip.
DON'T mention "the $750 optional DCFC".
Only ask the sales dogs to send a picture of the open charge port door.
They know diddly about these cars, as you are finding out.

Giving them ammunition that their car has a valuable option is NOT in you best interest.
Xnay the Alue Vay.... :p

Good luck, N

NORTON said:
whomadewho said:
...This may become the most infuriating thing about the prospect of looking for a used Spark EV, is the lack of disclosure by many used car vendors whether the car has DCFC ...
This is SO true. I went through this process when searching for my used 'with DCFC' Spark EV.

Here's a good tip.
DON'T mention "the $750 optional DCFC".
Only ask the sales dogs to send a picture of the open charge port door.
They know diddly about these cars, as you are finding out.

Giving them ammunition that their car has a valuable option is NOT in you best interest.
Xnay the Alue Vay.... :p

Good luck, N

From what I've seen in getting trade-in valuation on my Spark, dealers don't even factor in whether it has the QC charge port or not. So most likely, a clueless dealer would also not charge a premium for the QC port as well.

agdodgerfan said:
If production stops what does this mean when it comes to replacement batteries?
You may have to find the "Energizer Bunny". Seriously, by the time the battery degrades too much, I expect by then you will be able to find businesses that rebuild battery packs.

bro1999 said:
whomadewho said:
MrDRMorgan said:

Or if GM REALLY wanted 2 trims, should have made the 1LT the non-QC version, and the 2LT coming with QC standard.
In my case, I knew the 2014 Spark EV 2LT I bought did not have the QC port. The car was mainly for in-town use as I already had a 2015 Spark EV 2LT that did have the QC port.

Chevy stops making the Spark EV following the Bolt's arrival:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/31/chevy-stops-making-spark-ev/

Chevy axes Spark EV in favor of Bolt EV:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2017/01/31/chevy-axes-spark-ev-favor-bolt-ev/97283876/
Published 11:47 a.m. ET Jan. 31, 2017 | Updated 4:37 p.m. ET Jan. 31, 2017
The Detroit automaker said last week that production of the Spark EV ended in summer 2016.
Ligouri said Chevy sold about 7,400 Spark EVs. Originally the car was sold only in California and Oregon; in spring 2015 GM added a third state with Maryland.

The Bolt EV also launched in California and Oregon, but roll-out is expanding nationally this year. Bolt EV sales for December totaled less than 600, but Chevrolet officials last week said the brand expects sales will total about 1,200 in the U.S. for January.

MrDRMorgan said:
bro1999 said:

I am starting to see 2014 Spark EV 2LT with ~15K miles for less than $12K. I wonder what will happen when the 2014s start coming off of their leases. I too expect some great deals will be found. Last August I bought a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT with only 1500 miles on it for just under $14k. It does not have the quick-charge option but it has been a fantastic car so far with absolutely no problems.
i bought mine last week for 9k with 4k miles.

evboy said:
MrDRMorgan said:
bro1999 said:

i bought mine last week for 9k with 4k miles.
Great Deal! Congratulations. I have started to see a 2014 Spark EV 2LT with about 20K miles selling for around $7500. A 4K miler for $9000 is, in my opinion, a great deal. If you live in the PG&E service area, be sure to apply for your $500 clean air rebate - 1 per BEV you own or lease.

i saw that car too for 7500. i thought that 1500 more for 4k miles was the better deal. 450 to ship to vegas. plus i bought from a big dealership so i didn't have to worry about any fraud.... it would have been nice to buy that new 2016 sparke in maryland for 16k but i would have had to get a license in california and get a address and sit in the dmv. i just didnt have time to do it. working 6 days. is pge the power company. we have nvenergy in nevada.

evboy said:
i saw that car too for 7500. i thought that 1500 more for 4k miles was the better deal. 450 to ship to vegas. plus i bought from a big dealership so i didn't have to worry about any fraud.... it would have been nice to buy that new 2016 sparke in maryland for 16k but i would have had to get a license in california and get a address and sit in the dmv. i just didnt have time to do it. working 6 days. is pge the power company. we have nvenergy in nevada.
I agree. Yes, PG&E is our Power Company. You will have to check to see if NV Energy has any rebates at all. You are going to really enjoy this car. Be sure to check with your local Chevy dealer's service department to make sure your Spark EV is current with any and all recalls and/or service bulletins. There have been a few and the dealer can use your vehicle's VIN number to check.

Happy Sparkin"

Homer said:
I'm hoping to buy mine when it comes off lease at around $8-9k.
I plan to do exactly that with my 2015 Spark EV 2LT when it comes off of lease in May 2018. I would be happy with $8-9k but I will try and negotiate a lower price if cargurus.com shows lower prices for the same year / mileage in my area. I am currently pushing 15K miles and the car is performing exceptionally well without any problems or concerns.

MrDRMorgan said:
Homer said:
I plan to do exactly that with my 2015 Spark EV 2LT when it comes off of lease in May 2018. I would be happy with $8-9k but I will try and negotiate a lower price if cargurus.com shows lower prices for the same year / mileage in my area. I am currently pushing 15K miles and the car is performing exceptionally well without any problems or concerns.
its a great car isnt it. Im having a blast driving it. i feel like a teenager again.

evboy said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Homer said:
its a great car isnt it. Im having a blast driving it. i feel like a teenager again.

In my opinion, this is a very fun car to drive. 90+% of the driving my wife and I do is in town. In town driving is the worst mileage-wise for my ICE but it is the best for my two Sparkies. I just love driving by gas stations. The only real concern I have is how fast the Spark EV's battery will degrade. Only time will tell but data I have gathered so far shows a significant but gradual decline in the battery capacity for my 2014 Spark EV. My 2015 Spark EV exhibited a similar drop up to 7500 miles but now it seems to have flattened out. I will be trying to determine if driving in L as opposed to D affects the degradation.

Back