evboy

Re: Recall notice concerning range estimation

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 am

why are they replacing the battery on the bolt if they can just update the module. also,i did the formula for capacity and im at 17.4 at 35% usage. i will see what it is when it gets closer to 80% usage. that seems higher than when i did it when i first bought the car.

SparkE

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Bolt? WTF? Wrong forum, dude.

rkiyer

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Even if you haven't got a post about the recall, you can check https://my.gm.com/recalls to see if your vehicle qualifies.
White 2014 Spark EV w/ FC

wfam5

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Just had it done. Remember your software's wiped clean when you get it back. My screen was showing 51.1 mi/kWh for about 5 miles when I left the dealer. Reset it after getting groceries and it seems like a more normal 5.0 or so now. Freaked out for a bit and thought they imported the problem. Just so you know.....

evboy

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 am

wfam5 wrote:Just had it done. Remember your software's wiped clean when you get it back. My screen was showing 51.1 mi/kWh for about 5 miles when I left the dealer. Reset it after getting groceries and it seems like a more normal 5.0 or so now. Freaked out for a bit and thought they imported the problem. Just so you know.....
I haven't had the problem again. maybe it has to do with the reset like u said.

JMenacker

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:36 am

wfam5 wrote:Just had it done. Remember your software's wiped clean when you get it back. My screen was showing 51.1 mi/kWh for about 5 miles when I left the dealer. Reset it after getting groceries and it seems like a more normal 5.0 or so now. Freaked out for a bit and thought they imported the problem. Just so you know.....
Thanks for the heads up on resetting the trip odometer (press and hold Select while trip odometer is displayed).

No significant difference in range estimation noted after the update on either of our 2015 Spark EVs. Mine is a 30 mile rural round trip commuter - usually 4.5-5 mi/kWh. Better half's is mostly grocery getter - normally 6-6.5 mi/kWh. Both of us are still loving these cars.

Sagging vinyl wrap at B pillars and hazy rear bow tie were replaced at no cost by dealership on mine with no questions asked. Nice.

Regards,

Joe M in WV

NORTON

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Does the mi/kWh display, when reset, always go to a default 4.5 mi/kWh, (or whatever that figure is) ?
Or is that the actual lifetime average for the car?

My car always seems to reset to the same number. Maybe high mileage cars are that way and that is my actual lifetime average.

I know the 'shut down trip' display can vary a lot. Maybe <3.2 in the dead of winter and >5.5 when I take the country way home in the summer.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +69 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

SparkevBlogspot

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Mine defaults to 4.0 mi/kWh if I start the car and move just few feet and stop.

Did the update reset the trip meter? I haven't reset mine since I got the car so I can see the overall efficiency. So far around 25K miles shows 5.4 mi/kWh. I'd hate to lose it by doing the software upgrade.

scrambler

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Even if it were to be reset (I don't know if it does), that would not make much difference.
If you have been averaging 5.4 mile / kWh, it would be back to that number in a day.

SparkevBlogspot

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 am

I meant the miles on tripmeter. I'd like it to show large total miles along with mi/kWh.

I'm probably averaging more than 5.4 mi/kWh since it used to be 5.3 mi/kWh until about 20K miles. But showing higher mi/kWh for only few hundred (or few thousand) miles is not that impressive.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”