jake14mw

Potential Buyer questions

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi all,

I have been doing some research into Spark EVs. Looks like it could be a fun and economical car to drive. I already have a Leaf, so I'm familiar with EVs. Some Spark questions:

1) Seats - It's all a matter of taste, but it looks like the choices are either some funky cloth color, or cheap looking vinyl. Any feedback from people on them? Has your vinyl worn OK?

2) The Chevy App - Can someone either tell me or point me to what features from the app work without an OnStar subscription? I have gotten used to the App with the Leaf.

3) Options - It seems like there are only 2 configurations of this car, the 1LT with cloth seats, and the 2LT with Leatherette seats and steering wheel. I have never heard any mention of any other options other than a fast charging plug. Were there any other options available?

4) Any other advice? I am located in CT.

MrDRMorgan

Re: Potential Buyer questions

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

jake14mw wrote:Hi all,

I have been doing some research into Spark EVs. Looks like it could be a fun and economical car to drive. I already have a Leaf, so I'm familiar with EVs. Some Spark questions:

1) Seats - It's all a matter of taste, but it looks like the choices are either some funky cloth color, or cheap looking vinyl. Any feedback from people on them? Has your vinyl worn OK?

2) The Chevy App - Can someone either tell me or point me to what features from the app work without an OnStar subscription? I have gotten used to the App with the Leaf.

3) Options - It seems like there are only 2 configurations of this car, the 1LT with cloth seats, and the 2LT with Leatherette seats and steering wheel. I have never heard any mention of any other options other than a fast charging plug. Were there any other options available?

Question 1: Up until the lease on my 2015 Spark EV 2LT ended last month, I had three Spark EV 2LT vehicles - a 2014, 2015 and 2016. All had the leatherette seat material and so far none of the three has show any wear. The front seats in the 2014 and 2015 had cloth seat covers from day 1. The 2016 does not have any seat covers.

Question #2: I am not sure since I generally do not use the APP.

Question 3: The L1 EVSE that comes with the car charges at 120 VAC at 8 amps or 120 VAC at 12 amps. This is selected on the Energy Information screen in the car and the default is always 8 amps. The L2 EVSE option will charge at 240 VAC and 16 amps (3.3 kW). The DCFC option will charge at up to 400 volts DC at 125 amps (50 kW). The DCFC charging method starts tapering off at 80% of full charge.

OPTIONS: You are correct. There are only 2 options - 1LT and 2LT. For 2014 and 2015, either option could be configured with the DCFC quick charge option. I believe the 2016 models all came with the DCFC option but I am not 100% sure. My 2014 did not have the DCFC option but my 2015 and 2016 models did.

Note: Chevrolet only built approximately 7500 Spark EVs over the three years the Spark EV was available in the USA. Most of those went to California, Oregon and Maryland. Still, today you will find posts about someone buying a used Spark EV in California and having it shipped across the country to their home. How often do you see that happen for other vehicles? In my opinion, the Spark EV is a great car and GM should have kept it going. Both my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs were purchased used and have been trouble-free. I found both of them on CarGurus.com.

CCIE

Re: Potential Buyer questions

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

jake14mw wrote:Hi all,

I’m in CT too. Car has been great. I have over 20,000 miles and my pleather seats are holding up fine. I’d go for the 2LT if only to get the leather wrapped wheel. Also look for a version without the baby blue interior accents.

Onstar App works for either 3 or 5 years without subscription.

Get DCFC if you can.
2018 Tesla M3 LR RWD
2015 Spark EV 2LT with DCFC (traded-in 8/2018)
2012 Volt

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”