NORTON

First (and only) Failure @ 54k miles.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 am

Yesterday, on the way back from a 4:00 AM airport run, stopped at a DCFC for a 10 min pit stop, as I have many times before.
Charged to 80%, tapped ChargePoint ID card to stop the session.

Powered up the car, put it in D and NO GO PEDAL response.

Powered down and back up and noticed a brief "Initializing...Wait to Shift" pop up on the blue screen before the normal screen.
It had the 'Check Engine' light lit on the left border. Tried several power cycles. No Joy.
Went into the grocery store where the DCFC unit is located and bought the only tool they sold, needle nose pliers and disconnected the Negative 12V battery lead for a minute, reconnected, No Joy.

Called OnStar and got them to read the code, and they emailed it to me:

The code(s) and explanation(s) associated with this issue is/are:

P1FF4 The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicle's battery pack charge level.

Had it towed 32 miles to my local Chevy dealership on OnStar's dime!
(I have AAA, but 2 months ago I contacted OnStar because myChevrolet app was not working correctly, uninstalled app, reinstalled and all was well, but the OnStar tech support guy gave me a 3 month trial of the full feature service which includes roadside assistance!

Waited for the dealership to open and was given a 'Free 2 day loaner', an '18 Cruze Hatchback with the RS package !
They couldn't shuttle me 2 miles home that morning so I took the loaner. Need to drop it off at 7AM when they open on Monday morning and then I'll get the shuttle ride back home to drive my smelly gasser until the 'Volt Tech' guy can look at my Spark EV during the weekdays.
(Hopefully they are better at this than when they had to trouble shoot my '13 Volt....)

So,, place yo bets on how long the car will be down and what went bad!

My guesses:
1.Main contactor fizzled out with the constant 48 kW charging. (but then I flog it all the time at way more power. Only that's going out, not coming in.)
2. One, or more, cells gave up the ghost during the DCFC session... (my favorite! Come on whole new fresh battery pack!!! :D )

I'll have the 'Range Estimation' Recall performed at this time.
The service tech gal signing me in gave me the side eye when I told her I knew about the recall but elected not to have it performed because my range estimation was working properly. She, "Blah, blah, the Interconnectedness of All Things..." Me, "OK, see you Monday."

So, Spark EV's can let you down.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.
+67 K miles. Mostly free electrons! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.

SparkyJ

Re: First (and only) Failure @ 54k miles.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:11 am

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and temporary disfunction of your little sparky. My guess, something in the charger module died/shorted. Hope whatever it is will be covered and not have to come out of pocket.

SparkE

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am

Don't forget : it *might* be the 12V battery! Really weird stuff happens when the 12V is dying. They should test the 12V battery first, before anything else (including a load test of the 12V battery).

evboy

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Norton, my charging system went out after about 6 months. there was a wire/s short but they didnt know what wire/s so they replaced the whole charging system. its covered under the 8 year warranty. no need to sweat it. I havent had a problem since.

scott1686

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 pm

NORTON wrote: I'll have the 'Range Estimation' Recall performed at this time.
The service tech gal signing me in gave me the side eye when I told her I knew about the recall but elected not to have it performed because my range estimation was working properly. She, "Blah, blah, the Interconnectedness of All Things..." Me, "OK, see you Monday."
My local Chevy dealer told me there was no fix for the range estimation recall when I brought it in. They also were worried that there was no history of oil changes when they looked up my car, so I guess they're not the best source of information.

NORTON

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 pm

scott1686 wrote:My local Chevy dealer told me there was no fix for the range estimation recall when I brought it in. They also were worried that there was no history of oil changes when they looked up my car, so I guess they're not the best source of information.
'no history of oil changes'
That's funny! :lol:
I think my dealer may be one step ahead of that.....

Not sure what they meant by the "no fix" part.
Either they perform the recall by the book, or they don't. I thought it was just a SW update to some module.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.

NORTON

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:01 am

Volt Tech at the dealer has M thru F hours.
Dropped it off on Saturday morning.

No contact as of Tuesday morning.

Questions: Do I call them or sit tight? How long do I do that?
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC.

SparkE

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 am

I'd call them and ask for an update on status. If no status available, I'd ask to talk to the tech.

I'd also mention to the tech that "I had a friend who had weird problems with his Spark EV because the 12V battery was bad - it was throwing all kinds of weird errors that never mentioned the 12V accessory battery. A new 12V battery solved all of the car's problems. Have you load-tested the 12V battery yet?"

JPL

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Good luck, Norton

Hope you have it back soon
2014 Spark EV no FC
Front Speakers: Alpine 4" (SPS410)
Back Speakers: Alpine 5X7" (SPS517) w 3D print adapters

17 " Rims
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 205/40R17
Back: Hankook 205/45R17

2016 Kia Soul EV no FC

2000 Honda Insight MT

TheLondonBroiler

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm

I had this happen, but it restarted and worked fine after it sat while I was at work.

If your luck is anything like mine, the following are the possible scenarios:
-The car is ready, they just didn't call you, and they couldn't find anything wrong, so they didn't do anything (minus the mentioned update).
-They'll replace something, it'll take being without your car for a month or so..... and that still won't fix the problem.

Best of luck. I look forward to the resolution.
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 46,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 6,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”