SparkE

Re: First (and only) Failure @ 54k miles.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:36 am

TheLondonBroiler wrote: I tried 4 attempts to charge at the GM dealership in Hickory, NC, and just couldn't. 2 different errors. Apparently BMW i3's don't have a problem....wtf GM.
1) GM doesn't own them - the dealership does. (Although I have to admit, the dealers probably buy it through GM - at least a purchase program.) (And, "it works fine at all these other brands/dealers, and it is a lot cheaper than a full-blown 125 amp DCFC" is probably a good selling point to a large company.)

2) The 24 kW DCFCs (the plaque says between 60A & 66A, depending on the reseller) are actually manufactured by a French company (IES-Synergy) which sells through a BUNCH of other companies, including Bosch, BMW, ChargePoint, etc.).

3) They have had LOTS of problems.

TheLondonBroiler

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:55 pm

SparkE wrote: 1) GM doesn't own them.. the dealers probably buy it through GM - at least a purchase program.)
This is all accurate, to my knowledge. Granted the dcfc "mandate" for Bolt EV dealers started when the BOLT EV started being produced, the fact that Spark EVs have issues charging leads me to ask, WTF GM?
SparkE wrote: 2) The 24 kW DCFCs (the plaque says between 60A & 66A, depending on the reseller) are actually manufactured by a French company (IES-Synergy) which sells through a BUNCH of other companies, including Bosch, BMW, ChargePoint, etc.).
I've charged twice successfully at the Charge Point DCFC at the BMW Performance Center in Greer,SC. While it is a similar charger, I can assure you that at a minimum, the exterior case and display are different, and I would not be surprised if the electronics aren't the same either.
SparkE wrote: 3) They have had LOTS of problems.
I looked a good bit through plugshare, I didn't see much in the way of issues in the southeastern US. It's possible they use different machines on the West Coast and elsewhere.

The top pic is of the machine that works for me and the bottom is the problematic style.
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 46,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 15,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles

SparkE

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Well, it looks like Bosch has switched vendors for their ~25 kW DCFC unit. But first, you said "they aren't broken around me" - almost every ChargePoint Express 100 on US-101 between Los Angeles and San Jose is offline at the moment. 'nuff said.

Bosch used to sell (and maybe still do) the 24 kW Power DCPlus - the ChargePoint "Express 100", which looks like this (white, blue, or orange) :

Image Image

and now they sell this one (25 kW EV2000 Series) :

SparkE

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the insides (electronics) are completely different, as the ChargePoint (orange) one requires 3-phase input, whereas the other one can accept 240V single-phase (so the installation can be a LOT cheaper, depending on what the existing electricals are like).

NORTON

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 am

TheLondonBroiler wrote:...The top pic is of the machine that works for me and the bottom is the problematic style.
The bottom screen shot is funny.
3.6kWh charging rate (DCFC)
3.6kWh is a quantity of power. It is not a rate like 24kW.

But it's great to see pics of these small new style DCFC units. They have to be solid state.
The Efacec 50kW units in the KC metro area are as big as refrigerators,,, sitting out in the corner a grocery store parking lots and parking garages.
They are based on big-ass transformers and are always on 3 ph power.
I got to look inside of one when I was dealing with a service rep. There is lots of open space inside. Always two cords: CCS/Chademo. Small cell phone antenna on top.

Either way:
These units are up and running and hopefully network connected so you know if they're available.
Or they are dead, INOP, off line....

They should not take out an $800 un-powertrain related part,,,, that the car owner has to pay for.
And they don't. :roll:

My dealer and GM EV Engineering Support is having a learning moment with my car.
And hopefully they'll get serious about learning something new and not sticking me with the learning bill..... :? (3 weeks in the shop, this time.)

Side Note: There was a report that GM bought or is partnering with a 150kW DCFC unit manufacturer. They said these units were solid state.

The future looks bright ! :!:

I just need the desk jockeys to get up to speed on seriously Trouble Shooting the BEV's that Chevy has out in the field NOW....
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +69 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

NORTON

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:53 am

Case Closed:

I just got my car back from the dealer.
Had to finally pay $200 Labor for the Power Train Warranty repair.

Not too impressive Troubleshooting Techniques, GM.....
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

TheLondonBroiler

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:46 am

So the first time they replaced HPCM2 and this time they replaced.....(HPCM1?)? Have you revisited the airport run charger yet :D ?
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 46,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 15,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles

NORTON

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:39 pm

TheLondonBroiler wrote:So the first time they replaced HPCM2 and this time they replaced.....(HPCM1?)? Have you revisited the airport run charger yet :D ?
I will use that same DCFC unit next time. They backed off that silly claim that I was getting water in the electrons at that station.... :roll: :lol:

This is what I have from the paper work, below.
Initially they wanted $800 for my 'Voltec Warranty Repair' , due to GM's old fashioned way of Troubleshooting.

Paper work has:
AFTER REPLACEMENT OF SDM, CODE PIFF4-00 WOULDN'T CLEAR OUT OF
HPCM2- ART WARRANTY OF HPCM2
HAD INTERNAL FAILURE OF MODULE
PER TAC REPLACED HPCM2.

Above this info it lists 'FP-NUMBER':
Then a -1 for Core Return of same number.
----I looked this one up: Inverter & mounting, battery disconnect. Spark EV. Acsry dc pwr cont. With fast charging.

Yep, the 3rd guess was the WINNER !!

So,, 3 "MODULES". There is no description of these parts.

I know the 1st time the HPCM2 was replaced, and the car failed at the next DCFC session 1 week later.

'TAC' is the group at GM that has some splainin to do. They write the manuals and advise on servicing GM's problem childs. The dealers are at their mercy, if they want to get paid for warranty work.

In summary:
I always thought a Bolt, with more High Tech, would be my next EV.
Now,,, I have to look at the newest Kia, Hyundai, and Nissan BEV's when they become available. On paper they are competitive with the Bolt, and they may have the High Tech features I want.

NORTON

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 am

Case Closed:

Last Saturday I paid $200 in Labor Charges to get my car back from the dealer after this Voltec Warranty Repair. They dropped it to that and I caved.... :(
During that 5 week ordeal I probably spent more than that on gas for my gasser that me and the GF shared.

Not very impressive Troubleshooting Techniques, GM....

But it is SO great to be driving this sporty little BEV again! For Free again.

Near the end of that time I bought a 2011 Prius Level 5 with the Advanced Technology Package in Blizzard Pearl. This was THE most expensive Prius of that year!!
The ATP is fun! It's an early Gen 'Auto Pilot', parks itself, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist and other safety features.

Anyways,,, I now call the Prius the Fuel Hog... 8-)

NORTON

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:43 am

Small update:

So, I get this call from GM HQ.
A nice young gentleman is telling me he'd like to give me a $100 Service Voucher to use for only my Spark EV.

I say, "Thanks for the offer! That eases the sting of paying $200 for a Powertrain Warranty Repair".
But I point out that there is NO SERVICE SCHEDULED for my Spark EV until 97.5k miles, and that is for the Drive Unit Fluid change (ATF).

And that is one of the reasons some Chevy Dealers hate EV's.... :(

(I don't rotate the tires because of different wheels front and rear and directional tires. Lots of cars are like that.)

I ask about getting an upgrade for my Onstar service instead.
He said that may be possible and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Spark EV Forum”